or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › please recommend a watch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

please recommend a watch - Page 3

post #31 of 45
Thread Starter 
thanks for the replies! going back to the question of brand image, so what type of person(in terms of qualities, characteristics, or a celeb) would wear an omega and what type of person would wear IWC?
post #32 of 45
I believe the Portofino was recently discontinued, so you could probably pick one up from an authorized retailer at a decent discount.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_is_james
thanks for the replies! going back to the question of brand image, so what type of person(in terms of qualities, characteristics, or a celeb) would wear an omega and what type of person would wear IWC?

Wouldn't anyone wear either unless they were being paid to endorse the brand?
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_is_james
thanks for the replies! going back to the question of brand image, so what type of person(in terms of qualities, characteristics, or a celeb) would wear an omega and what type of person would wear IWC?

If this is your primary concern, you should buy a Rolex or Tag Heuer. Aside from Rolex, Cartier, Omega, TAG Heuer, and perhaps Patek Philippe, no one can differentiate or cares to differentiate between low-tier (Oris, Maurice Lacroix, Baume & Mercier, etc.), mid-tier (IWC, Ulysse Nardin, Breitling), and high-end/boutique companies. The most widely regarded axiom at Timezone is to purchase what smiles at you. It's pretty sage advice.

EDIT: The Portofino is still in the IWC lineup. It's included on the IWC website, though I believe the white dial is no longer available.
post #35 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
If this is your primary concern, you should buy a Rolex or Tag Heuer. Aside from Rolex, Cartier, Omega, TAG Heuer, and perhaps Patek Philippe, no one can differentiate or cares to differentiate between low-tier (Oris, Maurice Lacroix, Baume & Mercier, etc.), mid-tier (IWC, Ulysse Nardin, Breitling), and high-end/boutique companies. The most widely regarded axiom at Timezone is to purchase what smiles at you. It's pretty sage advice.

EDIT: The Portofino is still in the IWC lineup. It's included on the IWC website, though I believe the white dial is no longer available.

thanks. no it's not my main concern, i was just curious to know whether watches had sort of a brand image like apparal brands etc do. hasn't rolex developed a certain tie/linkage with thugs?
jee, i wouldn't have thought baume & mercier was low-tier. so rolex, cartier omega, tag, and PP are considered top-tier?
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_is_james
thanks. no it's not my main concern, i was just curious to know whether watches had sort of a brand image like apparal brands etc do. hasn't rolex developed a certain tie/linkage with thugs?
jee, i wouldn't have thought baume & mercier was low-tier. so rolex, cartier omega, tag, and PP are considered top-tier?

Rolex and Tag are the best watches ever. I think you'll find everyone here agrees.

Seriously, buy what you like. Don't worry about what you think it "says" about you. People here have given you some good suggestions in various price ranges. Pick the brand/style that speaks to you, and enjoy!
post #37 of 45
Thread Starter 
i've pretty much made the decision to go w/ the omega seamaster AT. now it's just a question of whether to get a pre-owned or brand new one.
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_is_james
thanks. no it's not my main concern, i was just curious to know whether watches had sort of a brand image like apparal brands etc do. hasn't rolex developed a certain tie/linkage with thugs?

Read up on Timezone. Addtionally, you're missing the entire ethos of Styleforum. People use this forum as a (free) resource to objectively learn about clothing. Like all large gatherings, group think is unavoidable (EG/Lobb shoes, Borrelli & Kiton, etc.), however, members make great efforts to uncover little gems at a VARIETY of price points. The CT shoe thread for $85/each, Thomas Mason shirts at JCrew, Bennie's I & II, etc.

Quote:
jee, i wouldn't have thought baume & mercier was low-tier. so rolex, cartier omega, tag, and PP are considered top-tier?
Please visit a watch shop. Then return with questions. If you still think a Patek 215 is aesthetically and functionally equivalent to a Rolex, please save your money and buy the Rolex.
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I picked up this Oris Atelier watch and absolutely love it. I believe retail is $1595.

Where did you purchase it?
post #40 of 45
Quote:
EDIT: The Portofino is still in the IWC lineup. It's included on the IWC website, though I believe the white dial is no longer available.

Overstock has a deal on it for approx. $4K. Beautiful watch.
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
Rolex and Tag are the best watches ever. I think you'll find everyone here agrees.






post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I once had a big disagreement over at the Lange Timezone forum for chiding people who recognized Tags but not Langes. You would think Lange owners would be more proud of their watches but no, they supported the Philistines.
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I once had a big disagreement over at the Lange Timezone forum for chiding people who recognized Tags but not Langes.

You would think Lange owners would be more proud of their watches but no, they supported the Philistines.

That's par for the course at TZ.
post #44 of 45
Thread Starter 
update: just got the Railmaster and i'm lovin it.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_is_james
update:
just got the Railmaster and i'm lovin it.

Congratulations! That is a great choice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › please recommend a watch