or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Management Consulting Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Management Consulting Discussion - Page 10

post #136 of 488
or you could PM me and I'd have both an answer and my life
post #137 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
or you could PM me and I'd have both an answer and my life

I've heard that Assange is working on a dump of all SF PMs for his next leak.
post #138 of 488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
I've heard that Assange is working on a dump of all SF PMs for his next leak.

Oh noes. Millions of sock puppets will be exposed. The shoe damage alone will be a danger to the economy.
post #139 of 488
AF - where was your ILW? I had a blast in Singapore. Missed out on Kitzbuhel though .
post #140 of 488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisanfran View Post
AF - where was your ILW? I had a blast in Singapore. Missed out on Kitzbuhel though .

I missed out on Kitzbuhel as well. Lots of good European travel though. Did some serious damage in Milan and London and Cologne which was great for Kiton deals back in 2000.
post #141 of 488
I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or something like that be a smart move?

I'm likely going to go down the academic path, but I have a curiosity about other potential options.
post #142 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by John152 View Post
I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or something like that be a smart move?

I'm likely going to go down the academic path, but I have a curiosity about other potential options.

Best way... would be to just apply for a job.
post #143 of 488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John152 View Post
I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or something like that be a smart move? I'm likely going to go down the academic path, but I have a curiosity about other potential options.
Go into marketing or risk analytics. Worked very well for me.
post #144 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Go into marketing or risk analytics. Worked very well for me.

Best advice I got was to always work with math. That's a skill that most people don't have, and few professional career paths teach. Now if only I'd listened.
post #145 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Go into marketing or risk analytics. Worked very well for me.

Risk analytics with a political science undergrad?
post #146 of 488

..


Edited by merkur - 7/30/11 at 7:35am
post #147 of 488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John152 View Post
I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or something like that be a smart move?

I'm likely going to go down the academic path, but I have a curiosity about other potential options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post
Risk analytics with a political science undergrad?

post #148 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkur View Post
Apart from the obvious (less networking, less glamorous clients and possible less pay), what are the risks with taking a job with a boutique vs an MBB? Do you recommend MBA's apply for MBB first and only then settle for a job with a boutique if they don't get in vs just applying to a boutique straight up? Are the exit opportunities from a boutique really that much worse and is it possibletomove from a small boutique into an MBB after a few years?

excellent question.
post #149 of 488
Thread Starter 
My view would be try to get some major firm experience for better training if you are young and relatively inexperienced. If you have more experience and a specialty focus, a boutique is a perfectly reasonable choice.
post #150 of 488
So what would count as 'major firm' in this context?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Management Consulting Discussion