or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's watch thread - Page 67

post #991 of 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2010 View Post

2011-09-16_16-23-45_976.jpg

 

My babies... wow the flash makes them look like crap... silly phone pics


Unless those are replicas, which I doubt, this is not the thread for them. Rolex and IWC do not qualify as poor man's watches unless your idea of poor is living in a half a million dollar house instead of a million dollar one. They are beautiful.
post #992 of 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by highball View Post



justinsmnz, does yours have a brownish gray dial or black? mine seems more brownish gray in person but seems to show up as black in all photos.

It's actually a gunmetal with a slight brownish hue. I expected it to be near black when I ordered it, but I was pleasantly surprised when it came in the lighter color.
post #993 of 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post

Seiko SKP357.....thoughts? There is also a leather band version.

300


Looks a little too bulky IMO

 

post #994 of 3924
Just got my Daniel Wellington watch about an hour ago. Absolutely pleased with it. The colour comes of a bit more golden than the picture shows. So if you are not into gold watch then move on. I didn't expect it to be so gold but it looks pretty good in real life.

One nit-pick I would have is that the nato strap is quite long so there's a lot of materials when I wear it on my scrawny wrist. I got to fold the ends and stuff in the the holding thingy of the strap.

As per another SFer request, here are some pictures of the watch.

I've got a pretty small wrist so for those who are afraid they are too big, use mine as a guide.

6171705896_8fd58ab54a_z.jpg

6171706164_1c171404ca_z.jpg
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The face has a bit of a more pinkish gold hue.
6171706418_d1b8bf9e68_z.jpg

Nato strap. Love it.
6171175035_c20b65466a_z.jpg

6171175253_12f9b2938f_z.jpg
Pardon the clothes. Too lazy to change since I just got home from exams.
6171707164_3c7848131e_z.jpg
post #995 of 3924
anyone recommend an all black watch (case, band and dial) thats swiss made for under $200?
post #996 of 3924
Nice pics lamergod. I'm enjoying my DW watch too. Currently looking for a calfskin dark brown band in Short length for it with not much luck.
post #997 of 3924
263

found one of dad's old watches, put a new battery and nice brown leather strap on it.
post #998 of 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamergod View Post

One nit-pick I would have is that the nato strap is quite long so there's a lot of materials when I wear it on my scrawny wrist. I got to fold the ends and stuff in the the holding thingy of the strap.

Nato straps are supposed to be long. They fold back through the keeper loop pieces.

There are shorter straps out there made of the same materials, but the true nato band has a very wide range.
post #999 of 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by cioni2k View Post

Nice pics lamergod. I'm enjoying my DW watch too. Currently looking for a calfskin dark brown band in Short length for it with not much luck.
Yes. I'm looking for a brown leather strap for it as well. Is there any nato like bands that are leather. From my findings Nato only has nylon straps. I've seen some leather ones but they cost more than the watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


Nato straps are supposed to be long. They fold back through the keeper loop pieces.

There are shorter straps out there made of the same materials, but the true nato band has a very wide range.

Guess I'm doing it right then. May I know what is the purpose of it? I know it was used in WWII but kinds of makes no sense.
post #1000 of 3924
It's long so it can be worn over a sleeve. Also, I'm pretty sure they weren't used in WWII.
post #1001 of 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamergod View Post

Yes. I'm looking for a brown leather strap for it as well. Is there any nato like bands that are leather. From my findings Nato only has nylon straps. I've seen some leather ones but they cost more than the watch.


Guess I'm doing it right then. May I know what is the purpose of it? I know it was used in WWII but kinds of makes no sense.


I just purchased this in a Short length from Watch Prince:

http://www.thewatchprince.com/Hadley-Roma-Oil-Tan-Leather-Dark-Brown-20mm

They even sell a Rose Gold Deployment clasp which I picked up as well. Should look nice with the DW

And yes, there are leather NATO bands, I owned one for a short while then immediately sold it. I find they are just too thick, and raise the watch quite a bit. Would probably look odd with such a thin watch. This seems to be the general consensus with leather NATO bands AFAIK.
post #1002 of 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by truevision View Post

263

found one of dad's old watches, put a new battery and nice brown leather strap on it.

+1
post #1003 of 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsilon905 View Post




Looks a little too bulky IMO

 


I think it is the picture, case is only 29mm?

Here it is again as SKP361.

350
post #1004 of 3924
My Parnis. Swapped the band for another eBay band. The movement is definitely not quiet but it doesn't bother me much.
parnis.jpg
post #1005 of 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post

anyone recommend an all black watch (case, band and dial) thats swiss made for under $200?

Have you checked out the Luminox Navy Seal Colormark series? They make a blacked-out one looks like this:

313

It's a bit over 200 bucks, but you can generally find them for roughly 300. I have the same watch in orange and I love it. It is light, virtually indestructible and pretty good looking.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread