or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's watch thread - Page 38

post #556 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowell222 View Post

Seiko Blue Spark, automatic movement. I bought it for $235,and have had offers for $450.


this is a great looking watch, where did you buy this watch?
post #557 of 4098
Bought it some years ago while on a business trip to Japan-an impulse purchase. I think they are discontinued now, but maybe somebody else can tell you more on that.
post #558 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanduh View Post
^ get it if you like it. its cheap anyways right?

hook up on the hamilton canteen?

The Hamilton Canteen has been discontinued. There is a newer version (discontinued as well), but I don't really care for it myself-has two canteen covers on it and some crazy action going on the crystal.

Here is a stainless version with a bracelet on the bay (not mine). These retailed for about $1200 when new, I believe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Exquisite-Hamilt...item3a635b28c2
post #559 of 4098
Can anyone explain the difference between nato/grosgrain watchbands? I'm looking for a casual watch and really like the look of the J. Crew style watch strapshttp://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/a...3837/13837.jsp. What would you call these straps? Also, how can you tell which watches these straps will fit? For instance, if I pick up a Skagen, will it fit? Thanks for the help.
post #560 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTenenbaum View Post
Can anyone explain the difference between nato/grosgrain watchbands? I'm looking for a casual watch and really like the look of the J. Crew style watch strapshttp://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/a...3837/13837.jsp. What would you call these straps? Also, how can you tell which watches these straps will fit? For instance, if I pick up a Skagen, will it fit? Thanks for the help.
Most "NATO" straps are made of nylon. They will be much sturdier than Grosgrain simply because they are woven thicker and tighter. I'd also go out on a limb and say that most NATO style straps will be more durable simply because of their intended use (nylon for function over grosgrain for style.) Also, in regard to Skagen specifically, most of their watches do not have swappable straps and use screw-in straps. I made sure the two I picked up used the traditional pin system so I could swap them out. Also, both of mine take a 20mm strap. This was the first Skagen I owned (in white face with brown strap) and though I loved it, the strap could not be changed out because it was cut and screwed directly into the body. This did provide a ridiculously streamlined look though:
post #561 of 4098



160 bucks, comes with nato strap
http://www.danielwellington.se/kollektion/
post #562 of 4098
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quuz View Post



160 bucks, comes with nato strap
http://www.danielwellington.se/kollektion/


Quartz?
post #563 of 4098
post #564 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowell222 View Post
Seiko Blue Spark, automatic movement. I bought it for $235,and have had offers for $450.
I believe it. I'd advise you to never sell that watch, though. It's a classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowell222 View Post
Bought it some years ago while on a business trip to Japan-an impulse purchase. I think they are discontinued now, but maybe somebody else can tell you more on that.
Yes, discontinued several years ago. Very difficult to find now.

One was listed just two days ago on a watch forum and sold almost immediately (not to me, though ).
post #565 of 4098
Are those sea-gulls replicas or original designs? The one earlier in this thread is really nice.

Here's my version of a cheap watch:

post #566 of 4098
post #567 of 4098
Pokpok, we can't see your images because Imageshack sucks. Use imgur or something.

Anyone know if anyone is selling a Seagull 1963 with a glass front? Some have a plastic front.
post #568 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by unjung View Post
Pokpok, we can't see your images because Imageshack sucks. Use imgur or something.

Anyone know if anyone is selling a Seagull 1963 with a glass front? Some have a plastic front.
Right click on the image >> open in new tab.
post #569 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsmnz View Post
Right click on the image >> open in new tab.

No chance in hell I'm going to that kind of work on SF. Dozens of photos per page in certain threads.
post #570 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post
Are those sea-gulls replicas or original designs? The one earlier in this thread is really nice.

I assume originals. Metlin?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow
Here's my version of a cheap watch:



Beautiful, acecow. Just lovely.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread