Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Hanger Project Hangers! Natural Stained Walnut 1.5 Inch (Set of 15) Last post on 12/30/16 at 3:03pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Panerai Luminor GMT Automatic (PAM88) Last post on 10/1/16 at 2:06pm in Other Classifieds
- **DROPSX3** Maison Martin Marginal Brass Cuff Bracelet Size S Last post on 6/26/16 at 7:14pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Poor man's watch thread - Page 340post #5086 of 649011/29/15 at 1:37pmpost #5087 of 649011/29/15 at 1:44pmpost #5088 of 649011/29/15 at 4:04pmpost #5089 of 649011/30/15 at 4:21pmpost #5090 of 649012/2/15 at 8:41ampost #5091 of 649012/2/15 at 8:58ampost #5092 of 649012/2/15 at 10:14am
Yes. But for around the price of the latter, you could also get this. I am mildly biased as I am currently wearing it, but I don't think many would argue at Stowa's quality of case and finishing over Laco's.
To be fair to Laco, and if you do want a $250 mechanical watch, then they are the only one of the original "Flieger" makers to offer anything near that price. Stowa start around $900, IWC a lot more of course, and neither Lange nor Wempe make a modern version at all. But if you do go up towards the $1k mark, Stowa is it.
If the history of the name isn't important, I've heard a lot of good things about Archimede, another German company: they are one of several brands by German case makers Ickler, and have a good name for quality with accessible prices. They start around the $550 mark, and use ETA movements. They also do a cool bronze version if you want something original, though that is nearer the Stowa price.
Or, at the other end of the spectrum, you can find the Seiko 5 "Military" for well under $100, and buy a cool strap with the change. Not a bad idea at all - I bought the sand dial one for my son and was quite envious when I handed it over. Decent looking mechanical watch for peanuts.post #5093 of 649012/2/15 at 1:53pmpost #5094 of 649012/2/15 at 4:36pmpost #5095 of 649012/2/15 at 9:43pmI am considering both of these for an everyday watch. I usually dress in business casual. I am interested in your preference. Which do you prefer?
Tissot PRC200 Automatic:
VSA Infantry Mechanical
http://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Watches/Leisure-Watches/Infantry-Mechanical/p/241646#accordion-prod-details-2post #5096 of 649012/2/15 at 10:36pmpost #5097 of 649012/3/15 at 12:06amQuote:
Generally, I think it's worth holding out for the one you really want. If you really want the B-Uhr, which was a Stowa design originally, then hold out for it. Buying a "stepping stone" watch is a waste of money in my experience, but at the Seiko's usual price point of $80-$100, it's practically disposable. It's also pretty nice. I'd suggest maybe getting something that's visibly different from the classic pilots - that sand coloured one I mentioned, the olive green if that's your thing, white or navy blue are nice, and perhaps on a bracelet to be different again? That way once you do have the money for the Stowa, the Seiko is different enough that you will still have a place for it, rather than just being a cheaper substitute.Quote:
I don't know anything about them, but as Seiko make a pilot so cheaply, I'm not sure I can see the value in taking a punt on something less established. Still, if they're cheap, it's a matter of what appeals aesthetically.Quote:Originally Posted by Commodore Mark
I am considering both of these for an everyday watch. I usually dress in business casual. I am interested in your preference. Which do you prefer?
Tissot PRC200 Automatic:
VSA Infantry Mechanical
In general, I'd definitely take Tissot over Victorinox. But to be honest I don't especially like the style of the one you posted. My answer would be "neither"! What's your budget, and are there any elements that appeal to you in particular? SF is always happy to try to spend other people's money better - let us suggest some other options?post #5098 of 649012/3/15 at 9:43ampost #5099 of 649012/3/15 at 5:19pmpost #5100 of 649012/3/15 at 6:30pm
- The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
- › Price Drop! NWOT Sartoria Partenopea Navy Solid Double Breasted... 5 minutes ago
- › 2017 50 Book Challenge 12 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 14 minutes ago
- › Bourbon. 16 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 16 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 17 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 21 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 22 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 23 minutes ago
- › Ireland suggestions wanted 24 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...