or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's watch thread - Page 337

post #5041 of 6354

Tis the pumpkin season.

post #5042 of 6354
Montblanc's a poor man's watch? shog[1].gif
post #5043 of 6354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post

Montblanc's a poor man's watch? shog[1].gif

Under $1K is our rule.

Most seem to be under $500 though.
post #5044 of 6354

Sorrrrrrrrrrry, Too rich for this thread and not rich enough for the The Watch Appreciation Thread.

 

We need a mid priced watch thread :embar:

 

I paid $1500 for this watch and a Campanola perpetual calendar from a co-worker, both in mint condition. Sold the Campanola for $1750 so got this virtually for free.

post #5045 of 6354
It might just scrape in possibly.

The TWAt thread is for all watches, rich, poor and in between. This thread is purely for so called poor watches. $1000 seemed to have been the agreed cutoff point some time back.
post #5046 of 6354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

It might just scrape in possibly.

The TWAt thread is for all watches, rich, poor and in between. This thread is purely for so called poor watches. $1000 seemed to have been the agreed cutoff point some time back.

True, but when your watch is in that $1,000 - $2,000 range, it sometimes feels like bringing your Honda Accord to a car show where everyone else has a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.

 

I totally get what @Jazzmenco is saying.

post #5047 of 6354

I feel somewhat intimidated posting on the other thread with all the "rich watches" This watch is under the $500 range. It is a no brand name watch put together by a seller on eBay. Picked it up a few years ago. Really like the look and feel.

post #5048 of 6354
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

True, but when your watch is in that $1,000 - $2,000 range, it sometimes feels like bringing your Honda Accord to a car show where everyone else has a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.

I totally get what @Jazzmenco
is saying.

That's an individual issue, though. You needn't--shouldn't--be ashamed of your watches, irrespective of what else is on show. Anything above $1,000 is nothing to be sneezed at, regardless of what else is on show. Have confidence, and show your stuff off regardless of its cost.

If your watch is below $1,000, show it off here. If it's above that, show it off in the TWAT thread. Be happy, all is good biggrin.gif
post #5049 of 6354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

.
That's an individual issue, though. You needn't--shouldn't--be ashamed of your watches, irrespective of what else is on show. Anything above $1,000 is nothing to be sneezed at, regardless of what else is on show. Have confidence, and show your stuff off regardless of its cost.

If your watch is below $1,000, show it off here. If it's above that, show it off in the TWAT thread. Be happy, all is good biggrin.gif

 

It's not a confidence or shame issue; it's a matter of having some social awareness.  People on TWAT are very polite and welcoming to all, but the lack of interest in the lower priced watches is evident.  There is typically a very polite, "nice watch" or "welcome," but very little interest in further discussion.  There's nothing wrong with the mid-priced watches and no reason to be embarrassed, it just seems they are caught in the middle of the two watch threads.  Just my 2 cents.

post #5050 of 6354
Whether anyone is interested and gushes over your watches or not shouldn't matter. If you want to post your watches, then do so. That's my two cents.
post #5051 of 6354
I'm on TWAT for discussion and common interest way more than for thumbs or approval. Plenty of high end pieces get very "polite" greetings in TWAT as well (offshore line comes to mind, Montblanc's more expensive pieces, etc.), so those types of responses aren't reserved to a price point.

I've worn my Stowa while having lunch with a Patek collector who posts on TWAT. We spent lunch talking watches, the same conversation we would have had if he wore his old Explorer I and I wore my Nomos.

I think of TWAT as less of a circle jerk (though that does happen) and more of an ongoing discussion of a common interest which is independent of your personal collection. That said, I'm not sure where you post if you want people to gush over watches.
post #5052 of 6354
Instagram.
post #5053 of 6354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

I'm on TWAT for discussion and common interest way more than for thumbs or approval. Plenty of high end pieces get very "polite" greetings in TWAT as well (offshore line comes to mind, Montblanc's more expensive pieces, etc.), so those types of responses aren't reserved to a price point.

I've worn my Stowa while having lunch with a Patek collector who posts on TWAT. We spent lunch talking watches, the same conversation we would have had if he wore his old Explorer I and I wore my Nomos.

I think of TWAT as less of a circle jerk (though that does happen) and more of an ongoing discussion of a common interest which is independent of your personal collection. That said, I'm not sure where you post if you want people to gush over watches.

+1
post #5054 of 6354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

Whether anyone is interested and gushes over your watches or not shouldn't matter. If you want to post your watches, then do so. That's my two cents.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

I'm on TWAT for discussion and common interest way more than for thumbs or approval. Plenty of high end pieces get very "polite" greetings in TWAT as well (offshore line comes to mind, Montblanc's more expensive pieces, etc.), so those types of responses aren't reserved to a price point.

I've worn my Stowa while having lunch with a Patek collector who posts on TWAT. We spent lunch talking watches, the same conversation we would have had if he wore his old Explorer I and I wore my Nomos.

I think of TWAT as less of a circle jerk (though that does happen) and more of an ongoing discussion of a common interest which is independent of your personal collection. That said, I'm not sure where you post if you want people to gush over watches.

 

A few thoughts:

 

 - "Gushing" is the Wraith's word, not mine.  I think appreciation is a more appropriate term.  I post pictures if I think others appreciate the picture and believe the fact it was posted makes the thread better.  If I post pictures that regularly end up with little to no comment or interest, the implicit suggestion is that the others did not find it interesting or appreciate the fact it was posted. I post pictures in threads if they foster discussion and make it a better community.  I do not post pictures in threads where it's nothing but crickets afterwards as I do not want to pollute that thread with unwanted pictures.

 

 - Every few months, someone posts this same sentiment in this thread after being scolded for posting a picture of a watch over $1,000.  That poster is always quickly rebuked by TWAT regulars that post in both threads.  I understand how you want TWAT to be and the encouragement you give here and elsewhere to have all watches posted, but there is a tendency for pictures of lower and mid-level watches to be a shot in the dark with nothing but crickets afterwards. There is a reason this sentiment gets expressed in this thread every few months or so.

 

 - I read TWAT every day and enjoy it.  I just do not post pictures.

post #5055 of 6354
If you have an interesting story/background/etc. to go along with those watches, then you might get more interest, but I'll say it again, if you want to post pics, then do so. Whether anyone comments on it or gives you thumbs etc. etc. really shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter to me. If I feel like posting a pic of one of my watches, I do so. If I don't, I don't. If they get approval, comments, thumbs etc., that's all well and dandy (and appreciated), but if nobody did any of that, I'd still post all the same.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread