or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's watch thread - Page 240

post #3586 of 4041
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

That Hamilton chrono is the deal. Have been looking at the JazzMaster Maestro, like that version as well...

Agree, but I much prefer the non-plated steel versions of that watch.
post #3587 of 4041
Quote:
Originally Posted by razcan View Post

Do you think this site is reputable - http://www.airwatches.com/item_detail.php?item_id=5586 ? For some reason I feel like they don't have it in stock or it's a junk site.

This is a bait-and-switch site, don't trust it at all. I attempted to contact airwatches, asking whether the model was actually available and never received a reply. There was also a german website that had the watch in stock as well, however when contacted they also did not reply.


dan138zig: How about the Citizen Nighthawk? It's similar to the second watch you have listed, and it looks amazing in person.

post #3588 of 4041
What moon phase watches are there in the $500 range? Automatic preferred.

Saw a Seiko version in their Kinetic line, but don't have experience with those drives...
post #3589 of 4041
Quote:
Originally Posted by plot View Post


This is a bait-and-switch site, don't trust it at all. I attempted to contact airwatches, asking whether the model was actually available and never received a reply. There was also a german website that had the watch in stock as well, however when contacted they also did not reply.
 

That sucks. Thanks for the insight. I guess that watch just isn't attainable.

post #3590 of 4041
Quote:
Originally Posted by plot View Post


dan138zig: How about the Citizen Nighthawk? It's similar to the second watch you have listed, and it looks amazing in person.

I don't know, I just like the brand image of orient better. and nighthawks are above my $200 budget.
post #3591 of 4041
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

What moon phase watches are there in the $500 range? Automatic preferred.

Saw a Seiko version in their Kinetic line, but don't have experience with those drives...
http://www.seagullwatchstore.com/SEAGULL-M199S-Classic-Moonphase-Chronograph-Watch-p/m199s.htm
post #3592 of 4041
anyone knows some $100-200 small watches (below 39 mm) other than seiko 5's? i decided that the orients would be too big for my tiny wrist (6 inches)
post #3593 of 4041
In what style?

Diver, dress, chrono? Automatic/quartz?
post #3594 of 4041
Something simple with bracelet band. Like Seiko 5. Don't care about auto/quartz.
post #3595 of 4041
Mimicking a post by zippyh in The Watch Appreciation Thread, though with my own poor man's alternative to his watch:



post #3596 of 4041

Finally received my new Citizen Air-Diver. I have been looking for this watch for some time. It, along with its handful of brethren, were discontinued a year or so ago and have been impossible to find on the used market. It is truly an amazing watch, especially for the price. I only buy mechanical or light or kinetic powered quartz watches, I dont like replacing batteries and like knowing I can always rely on the watch to keep working. After having my first titanium citizen, the CA0021-53A, I knew I wanted to step up to the PMX56 2812. The titanium Citizen uses is called duratect, and it employs an extremely hard outer coating that keeps a flawless shine and easily shrugs off the bruises that would normally show up on dull, grey standard titanium. The endlinks are solid and the entire case is one monocoque piece of titanium. I urge you all to seriously consider titanium bracelets and watches; they are in a league of their own. Too often watch manufacturers use excess steel (often of a soft, low grade) to give the illusion of heft and quality. Anyone can mill a gargantuan watch and bracelet out of garbage steel. To craft a handsome titanium one is a different matter entirely. The comfort, especially during the hot and humid summer months is unparalleled. The metal doesnt get warm, sticky, or swell, and your wrist is spared that annoying habit of constantly flicking your watch up and down your wrist to find a spot that hasnt been irritated. This watch also comes with a ratcheting divers extension, which is a total godsend for when your wrist swells up (and you arent stuck with choosing either a permanently loose or permanently tight fit). I admit, these pictures are not mine since I dont have a camera on me, but they accurately portray the watch as it is. For reference, both these watches were purchased for under $250:

 

 

 

 

 

For reference, here is my other lovely titanium ecodrive, the CA0021-53A, a clean white chronograph with sapphire crystal:

 

post #3597 of 4041
^ I had that blue/red Citizen a few years ago. Sold it a couple years back. Great watch, but feels a little light on the wrist. I got mine from Higuchi, Inc. at the time. I believe he might still sell them.
post #3598 of 4041

I'm really enjoying browsing the watches in this thread. I was given this watch at a party. I really like the unique face, it has a Salvedore Dali type feel to it. Not sure what it is/cost but I imagine it would fit it here.

post #3599 of 4041
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

^ I had that blue/red Citizen a few years ago. Sold it a couple years back. Great watch, but feels a little light on the wrist. I got mine from Higuchi, Inc. at the time. I believe he might still sell them.

 

The light feeling is a good thing! In the midde of these Southern California summers, by the end of the day my wrist gets really agitated from a heavy steel bracelet. Higuchi was the guy who sold them, but they are since discontinued and he said very difficult to find. Im reasonably sure I could flip this down the road without losing any money.

post #3600 of 4041
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan138zig View Post

anyone knows some $100-200 small watches (below 39 mm) other than seiko 5's? i decided that the orients would be too big for my tiny wrist (6 inches)

Just got one of these Seagulls and I couldn't be happier about it. 38mm. http://www.good-stuffs.com/Classic-Sea-Gull-M185S-automatic-mechanical-watch-week-day-month-date-_p_63.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread