or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's watch thread - Page 204

post #3046 of 4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post


.

I can't disagree. All true.

Vintage isn't for everybody though. Personally I prefer 38mm and above. Also, it helps to know a good watch repair.

 

 

Admittedly, You are totally right in regards to finding case sizes bigger than 38mm but it's doable but probably not so much in a classic looking dress watch.

 

And yes, part of having an interest in nice watches is also finding a good inexpensive local trust worthy watch repairman but it's the same thing when you buy nice dress shoe's or a suit. 

 

I think the difference is taking the time to finding this knowledge and support system otherwise I guess the default is a buying a new Omega, Seiko or Hamilton...etc. I find it interesting on style forum with (some) members talking about getting $600-1000 shoes, $5000 suits and have found a good shoe repair and a good tailor for them but then they get a new Hamilton.

 

That's why I think it's a great idea what Hayward suggested, coming up with a abc cheat sheet for someone new wanting to buy a nice watch, new or old.

 

I'm lucky I have a guy down the street who will do a total service/restore/overhaul for a old non working watch for $150 or less making it look & run as good as new and then I have a really good watchmaker to service/overhaul my expensive watches but he's twice as much and then some but he's totally worth it.

 

I think this a great and needed thread (poor man's watch) because it's easy to spend $10,000 for a unique worthwhile watch but under $500 it takes much more creativity and knowhow to finding something you'll be proud of.

 

ok, I'll get off my soap box.

 

 

post #3047 of 4086
I've been lurking on this thread for a while, trying to learn what to look for when buying a new "poor mans watch." I confess I was pretty ignorant until I stumbled upon this thread a week ago. Now I'm only moderately ignorant.

Most recently, I bought a good-looking quartz watch from bulova, as I needed something classic looking to wear with suits at work functions, but after learning more, I realize I'm not happy with it, and, that for the same price I could get something of better craftsmanship that's automatic.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'd like some suggestions if there's anyone knowledgeable who wouldn't mind dropping some of that knowledge on me!

Here are my criteria:

I'm looking for an automatic, understated watch, that's very classic and clean for under 200. I'm hoping I can get one that will look good with various straps (red and blue nylon in summer, black, and brown leather straps). My wrists are very small, so I'd like something in the 36 to 39 mm case size range. I like cases with a thinner edge, that really show off the face, which i'd want to be white or off-white. I also don't like numbers or numerals on the watch face. I'd also like something that's water resistant to 50m at least, and preferably with a clear back so I could see the mechanism. Do you have any suggestions?

The dream watch that suits all of these criteria except price is the sarb031 I saw on this forum and others, from Seiko, but that is a $500 watch.

What can I get that's comparable, that will last, and that will keep pretty good time?

Thanks in advance.
post #3048 of 4086
I am working on such a list, but it may take a few more days smile.gif.

Each watch suggestion will have a picture, description, pros, cons, and why I find the piece horologically interesting. It is just taking a little while to put together.
post #3049 of 4086

Hmm lokks good and is a lso a very good simple watch

post #3050 of 4086
Newcomer, thanks very much; I really do appreciate it, as the sheer number of options and research required is pretty overwhelming.

If under 200 is too ambitious for a quality watch that meets all the criteria, I understand. Hopefully your list will prove helpful to others in the same boat as me!

Edit: I just realized this response wasn't for me, but rather for the post above. Embarrassing.
post #3051 of 4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indus85 View Post

Newcomer, thanks very much; I really do appreciate it, as the sheer number of options and research required is pretty overwhelming.

If under 200 is too ambitious for a quality watch that meets all the criteria, I understand. Hopefully your list will prove helpful to others in the same boat as me!

Edit: I just realized this response wasn't for me, but rather for the post above. Embarrassing.

Don't worry about it! If under 200 is what you are looking for though, I do not think you need to look any further than Long Island Watch. They stock just about the best selection of $200 and under watches around. Honestly, off the top of my head I cannot even think of one watch that I would recommend that they do not stock.
post #3052 of 4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Don't worry about it! If under 200 is what you are looking for though, I do not think you need to look any further than Long Island Watch. They stock just about the best selection of $200 and under watches around. Honestly, off the top of my head I cannot even think of one watch that I would recommend that they do not stock.

Thank you again! Checking them out now! Looking forward to your under-$500 list also!
post #3053 of 4086

I'm going to be stepping up soon, looking forward to the breakdown! :)

 

I've always worn watches, but i'm currently rocking a pair of rather cheap "Blaq" brand pieces because they were purchased with a voucher and everything else available was horrifying.

 

 

 

Yes they have gaudy, sloppy stitching and cheap cases, but i have bashed the crap out of them at work. With my new job comes less physical "interaction", so it's time to have something more appreciable.

 

What i'm after is simple: Tan leather strap, white/off-white face, no superfluous details (one dial, thanks!), and very thin with a minimal bezel. I'd also like a black strapped alternative.

post #3054 of 4086
There are tons of good options.


If I were in your position, I would buy this one:


http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beijing-Beihai-SB18-manual-hand-winding-mechanical-watch-/171068373314?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item27d4783942


I own this watch. It's very very nice. Limited edition, high quality band, nicely done movement. New will cost you about $500.

Some pics of mine:







Other Bejing Watches:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=beijing+watch&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=beijing+watch&_sacat=0



Seagull:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/seagull-watch

Orient:


http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=orient%20watch&_pppn=r1&_dcat=31387&Movement=Mechanical%253A%2520Hand%252Dwinding%7CMechanical%253A%2520Automatic


Seiko:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=seiko%20watch&_pppn=r1&_dcat=31387&Movement=Mechanical%253A%2520Hand%252Dwinding%7CMechanical%253A%2520Automatic









Quote:
Originally Posted by Indus85 View Post

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, trying to learn what to look for when buying a new "poor mans watch." I confess I was pretty ignorant until I stumbled upon this thread a week ago. Now I'm only moderately ignorant.

Most recently, I bought a good-looking quartz watch from bulova, as I needed something classic looking to wear with suits at work functions, but after learning more, I realize I'm not happy with it, and, that for the same price I could get something of better craftsmanship that's automatic.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'd like some suggestions if there's anyone knowledgeable who wouldn't mind dropping some of that knowledge on me!

Here are my criteria:

I'm looking for an automatic, understated watch, that's very classic and clean for under 200. I'm hoping I can get one that will look good with various straps (red and blue nylon in summer, black, and brown leather straps). My wrists are very small, so I'd like something in the 36 to 39 mm case size range. I like cases with a thinner edge, that really show off the face, which i'd want to be white or off-white. I also don't like numbers or numerals on the watch face. I'd also like something that's water resistant to 50m at least, and preferably with a clear back so I could see the mechanism. Do you have any suggestions?

The dream watch that suits all of these criteria except price is the sarb031 I saw on this forum and others, from Seiko, but that is a $500 watch.

What can I get that's comparable, that will last, and that will keep pretty good time?

Thanks in advance.
post #3055 of 4086
Kai, it's a beautiful watch, but a little outside my budget! (Great photos too.)

I was looking with deep admiration at the orient bambino, although it's a little big for my wrist.
post #3056 of 4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubits View Post

I'm going to be stepping up soon, looking forward to the breakdown! :)

 

I've always worn watches, but i'm currently rocking a pair of rather cheap "Blaq" brand pieces because they were purchased with a voucher and everything else available was horrifying.

 

 

 

Yes they have gaudy, sloppy stitching and cheap cases, but i have bashed the crap out of them at work. With my new job comes less physical "interaction", so it's time to have something more appreciable.

 

What i'm after is simple: Tan leather strap, white/off-white face, no superfluous details (one dial, thanks!), and very thin with a minimal bezel. I'd also like a black strapped alternative.

 

 

Is this kind of like what your looking for? It's not an automatic, but it's very minimalist, simple design. The casing is quite thin and about the colour of the strap, if your not a fan it's pretty easy to change.

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

More info about this watch

          |

          |

         V

http://beringtime.de/en/collection/classic/bering-11139-501.html

post #3057 of 4086

Just picked up this Doxa on a whim for under $100. Keeps time within about 5-10 seconds a day, not too bad.

 

It's amazing how cheap these go for in good condition on ebay, that's if you like these kind of Bauhaus watches.

 

post #3058 of 4086
Excellent!
post #3059 of 4086

Just picked up another poor man's watch. A new old stock diver for $55 on ebay. While not an Omega Seamaster 300 or an orig. Rolex Turn-o-Graph imho it's presentable, 38mm case, tells good time and looks brand new; I dig the second hand. 

 

I see so many nice cheap watches on eBay but I have to admit, I have to give myself some strict guidelines on what is worth buying as it's very much a minefield and a cheap watch can end up being a very expensive watch to fix up or junk because it's not worth fixing up but it's totally doable with some patience and homework.

 

Ask the seller key questions about it's condition, how well it's currently telling time and if there's any problems or has it been serviced recently. I find the best deals are from items listed with vague descriptions and bad pictures but asking them for more info and pics of the item can be very beneficial. 

 

 

 

 

 

Come on guys, lets see some of your recent acquisitions!

post #3060 of 4086
I have been on the search for a usable diver again ever since I got rid of my Orange Monster, no I don't dive but do like to swim at the cottage and none of my other watches would do well in water. So I picked this up the other day used from WUS.
So far it's working great, haven't had it in the water yet, I'm sure it won't be an issue.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread