or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's watch thread - Page 203

post #3031 of 4098
It specifically says on the site that the Seagull M186S has saphire glass, is it wrong on their site or something?
post #3032 of 4098
M186S has a mineral crystal

http://www.good-stuffs.com/Sea-Gull-M186S-Automatic-Designer-Watch-_p_21.html
post #3033 of 4098

These have been around in other forum sites but this maybe is a good one for the poor man thread. It's a homage to the Blacpain Diver with Seiko 5 automatic movement & case called "Fifty Five Fathoms".

 

It's a DIY project but you can get them already finished new for about $300 or you can do it yourself for less, there slightly different dials and bezel to choose from. The case/bezel size is 42mm

 

 


Edited by Devoti - 6/20/13 at 3:35pm
post #3034 of 4098
Would you believe it, I was on ebay last night just looking at those watches. I'm waiting on dagaz to re-stock the dials shown above because, those give a more vintage feel than the newer numbered dials.

I'm thinking of getting one as a gift for myself when I get into the army next year (mandatory 2 year stint in my country).
post #3035 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamergod View Post

Would you believe it, I was on ebay last night just looking at those watches. I'm waiting on dagaz to re-stock the dials shown above because, those give a more vintage feel than the newer numbered dials.

I'm thinking of getting one as a gift for myself when I get into the army next year (mandatory 2 year stint in my country).

Is this the one your talking about?

 

http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/products/show/244957

 

 

I like the cross hairs and brass color accents but I like them both a lot.  

 

I just wished they weren't so freakin big (42mm), I would get one in a heart beat if they had a 36-38mm case size.

post #3036 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post


I don't like to tell people what to buy especially since I am not fan of Seagull watches. I understand though that they hit a very good price point for what you get and that their movements are arguably up to ETA standards. You should buy what you like.

However, I will say a mineral glass is fine on a vintage watch but on a modern watch it's a pain in the ass. I can see it being scratched daily.

 

Out of curiosity why is that? I think they're a step above our beloved Seiko 5s in quality, personally. 

 

I think I'll go the sapphire case as I want this to be my one and only. 

post #3037 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoti View Post

Is this the one your talking about?

http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/products/show/244957




I like the cross hairs and brass color accents but I like them both a lot.  

I just wished they weren't so freakin big (42mm), I would get one in a heart beat if they had a 36-38mm case size.
Yessir. I tried one SNZ on before. I don't know how big your wrists are, but I've got pretty average sized wrists. It sits alright. IMO, it doesn't look weird compared to a watch that is truly 42mm as it is that size due to the bezel. Otherwise, the face itself is pretty small. You really should give it a shot. If you have a SKX, it's exactly the same size.
post #3038 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoti View Post

These have been around in other forum sites but this maybe is a good one for the poor man thread. It's a homage to the Blacpain Diver with Seiko 5 automatic movement & case called "Fifty Five Fathoms".

It's a DIY project but you can get them already finished new for about $300 or you can do it yourself for less, there slightly different dials and bezel to choose from. The case/bezel size is 42mm





Anyone know where one can get this exact model, as a finished product? Source that ships to Europe.

Thank you in advance.
post #3039 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrente View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoti View Post

These have been around in other forum sites but this maybe is a good one for the poor man thread. It's a homage to the Blacpain Diver with Seiko 5 automatic movement & case called "Fifty Five Fathoms".

It's a DIY project but you can get them already finished new for about $300 or you can do it yourself for less, there slightly different dials and bezel to choose from. The case/bezel size is 42mm





Anyone know where one can get this exact model, as a finished product? Source that ships to Europe.

Thank you in advance.

Search Ebay. Strap is a add on, not stock but easy to get on the Bay as well

post #3040 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoti View Post

These have been around in other forum sites but this maybe is a good one for the poor man thread. It's a homage to the Blacpain Diver with Seiko 5 automatic movement & case called "Fifty Five Fathoms".

It's a DIY project but you can get them already finished new for about $300 or you can do it yourself for less, there slightly different dials and bezel to choose from. The case/bezel size is 42mm Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





[/q

I have seen these before on this thread. Honestly love that bezel and dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Out of curiosity why is that? I think they're a step above our beloved Seiko 5s in quality, personally. 

I think I'll go the sapphire case as I want this to be my one and only. 

Seikos are a comparison, Im just not in this price range anymore. And if I were looking in the 300-400 range I would personally go for a used Hamilton or Steinhart, maybe a vintage longines.

Example...
Hamilton
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6535045&rid=0#msg_6535045

Steinhart
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-steinhart-ocean-1-green-bezel-874887.html

Longines
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-sold-blowout-price-longines-thin-automatic-lemania-movement-only-175us%24-872324.html
post #3041 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyabbz View Post

M186S has a mineral crystal

http://www.good-stuffs.com/Sea-Gull-M186S-Automatic-Designer-Watch-_p_21.html

 

Right, Im just saying on Seagull's website it says Saphire. I don't know a lot about watches, so maybe I am just totally missing something: http://www.seagullwatchstore.com/SEAGULL-M186S-Automatic-Bar-Nail-Dial-Watch-p/m186s-bar-nail.htm
post #3042 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post


I have seen these before on this thread. Honestly love that bezel and dial.
Seikos are a comparison, Im just not in this price range anymore. And if I were looking in the 300-400 range I would personally go for a used Hamilton or Steinhart, maybe a vintage longines.

Example...
Hamilton
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6535045&rid=0#msg_6535045

Steinhart
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-steinhart-ocean-1-green-bezel-874887.html

Longines
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-sold-blowout-price-longines-thin-automatic-lemania-movement-only-175us%24-872324.htm

 

Rooster,

 

I have to agree but there's so many very cool vintage watches in this price range that tell good time that I would defer the new seiko's, Sub Mariner copies and Hamilton's to the bottom of the list. Don't get me wrong, they definitely have their place but at the same time there way too easy and common and trying to copy watches of another era. This is not a bash, just saying that with a little time and open mind that you can find so many unique and very cool watches available in this price range that are just waiting to be worn. Trust me, when you find a good one, there way more satisfying to wear than a Seiko.

post #3043 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

I've been thinking it might be a good idea to put together a hierarchical list of "good" watches at the 3 figure and below price point similar to the hierarchical suit thread. The question is what criteria should be used? I'm not sure that quartz or non-in-house movements should be ruled out, for instance, but I do think classic style in line with CBD and good build quality need to be in the criteria. I'll post more later when I'm not drunk.

I thought Hayward was going to do this, perhaps the forum should buy him a bottle of his preferred libations in order to get this done.

 

From what I'm seeing and reading in this thread, Haywards composed input could very useful.

post #3044 of 4098
Except that I'm currently lost somewhere between anomie and the "Mafoofan furnishes his apartment" thread.

Keep on going guys, I'll catch up.
post #3045 of 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoti View Post

Rooster,

I have to agree but there's so many very cool vintage watches in this price range that tell good time that I would defer the new seiko's, Sub Mariner copies and Hamilton's to the bottom of the list. Don't get me wrong, they definitely have their place but at the same time there way too easy and common and trying to copy watches of another era. This is not a bash, just saying that with a little time and open mind that you can find so many unique and very cool watches available in this price range that are just waiting to be worn. Trust me, when you find a good one, there way more satisfying to wear than a Seiko.
.

I can't disagree. All true.

Vintage isn't for everybody though. Personally I prefer 38mm and above. Also, it helps to know a good watch repair.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread