or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's watch thread - Page 3

post #31 of 4084
My poor man's dress watch: Bulova 96B120. Less than $100.

post #32 of 4084
http://www.pmwf.com/
post #33 of 4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post
My poor man's dress watch: Bulova 96B120. Less than $100.


Not the same design, but I wear Bulova every day. My vast collection consists of one.
post #34 of 4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandArts View Post
Okay so here's one of my poor man's watches. Lucian Piccard Automatic


Lucien Piccard, way back when, was a nice mid tier company. I had a beautiful solid 18k thin, auto Sea Shark back in my vintage collecting days. The movement had been thorougly reworked by a friend that was a watchmaker.

Mike
post #35 of 4084
My watch for small-timer days is a Timex Easy Reader. I bought it at Target on sale for $23 and replaced the strap with a nice glove leather band for $12. It's beautiful and simple and I like it.

post #36 of 4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
Lucien Piccard, way back when, was a nice mid tier company. I had a beautiful solid 18k thin, auto Sea Shark back in my vintage collecting days. The movement had been thorougly reworked by a friend that was a watchmaker.

Mike

I remember reading somewhere (perhaps Esq. Mag) about a vintage watch collector who had and LP once owned by Marlon Brando IMSC and he, the collector, talked about the history of LP. Now of course my LP is not of that caliber but I love its aesthetic and it keep pretty good time too
post #37 of 4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrefinery View Post
My watch for small-timer days is a Timex Easy Reader. I bought it at Target on sale for $23 and replaced the strap with a nice glove leather band for $12. It's beautiful and simple and I like it.


i have the exact same watch. that and my dad's old rolex. when i saw the thread title, i thought "Oh good" because i've been on the fence between a seiko 5 and another Timex ... then i thought
post #38 of 4084
I was ignored in the Watch Porn thread......
although not expensive i thought it looked cool and matched the dials on my car.....







also thought it looked a bit like this....





the dials on my car are not Heuer by the way---the new VW Golf.....which look similar
post #39 of 4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrp View Post
What I find odd is that you can't walk into a store and buy a Grand Seiko (actually I think you now can in Toronto, perhaps? They've opened a standalone seiko store). But at the same time ... you _also_ can't walk in to a store and buy an inexpensive seiko 5.
The Seiko store on Bloor sells GS, along with a few other models I rarely see on the internet in the $500-$2000 range (giant chrono monstrosities). I doubt it's profitable to sell the low end models, especially at that location.
post #40 of 4084
This is my first watch. I'm only 21 and on a very tight budget, but haters can hate. I think it looks very nice for $72, and from what I've heard it will last quite awhile with Seiko's in house movement.
post #41 of 4084
^ What is there to hate? It's a good, nice looking watch.
post #42 of 4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
This is my first watch. I'm only 21 and on a very tight budget, but haters can hate. I think it looks very nice for $72, and from what I've heard it will last quite awhile with Seiko's in house movement.

Damn good choice and a good investment.
post #43 of 4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrefinery View Post
My watch for small-timer days is a Timex Easy Reader. I bought it at Target on sale for $23 and replaced the strap with a nice glove leather band for $12. It's beautiful and simple and I like it.


Good move, I am going to see what my local target has. J Crew has some good bands, although sometimes they can be pricey. Was it easy finding a band that fit correctly?
post #44 of 4084
I would not bother spending the extra money. The one you have looks great and if it has the co-axial then there is no need at all.
post #45 of 4084
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.K View Post
I would not bother spending the extra money. The one you have looks great and if it has the co-axial then there is no need at all.

Thanks - that's where I'm leaning. Plus the orange numerals of the PO may be fun but could also be a little too uh orange for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread