I agree with that, as long as you find a true watch maker! I have found that most servicing centers send your watch off to one of these few gents who are still around (living)! And of coarse it all depends on what type of service is needed!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Versace Medusa Icon Necklace Last post on 2/1/16 at 12:17am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- FS: CARTIER - C De Cartier Decor Money Clip Last post on 8/4/15 at 9:47pm in Buying and Selling
- Werkstatt Munchen BLISS necklace Last post on 12/24/14 at 2:08am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: AccessoriesLast edited: 11/11/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Poor man's watch thread - Page 179post #2671 of 53352/15/13 at 1:26am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2672 of 53352/15/13 at 9:46amQuote:I almost ordered the Steinhart Blue Snowflake because I would REALLY like a blue snow flake but I had some concerns about the quality. I also do not like the name Steinhart. They need a better name to sell more IMHO.
The Squale looks better from what I can see and I like the dials.post #2673 of 53352/15/13 at 9:54amye i like that snowflake too, but I've decided to stay away from Steinhart. I didn't have a bad experience with them, but their QC is inconsistent. Also, I am not a fan of the case/lug shape on the Steinhart. I actually don't mind the name, but detest the logo. Looks like a pineapple. The Squale shark and Von Buren logo are far more interesting. I also like the white border around the date wheel. I plan on eventually removing the cyclops as well.post #2674 of 53352/15/13 at 11:46ampost #2675 of 53352/16/13 at 6:02amQuote:Originally Posted by Ahab
I almost ordered the Steinhart Blue Snowflake because I would REALLY like a blue snow flake but I had some concerns about the quality. I also do not like the name Steinhart. They need a better name to sell more IMHO.
The Squale looks better from what I can see and I like the dials.
The hands look like one of the Longines dive watches!post #2676 of 53352/16/13 at 6:11ampost #2677 of 53352/16/13 at 6:19amQuote:Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
If I shatter the sapphire on my squale, I am sure i can at the very least find an aftermarket acrylic that will fit. As far as I know, a lot of boutique divers also have standard gauge crown tubes and again an aftermarket can be sourced (MKII has screwed in crown tubes which can be problematic, or at the very least costly, to replace if MkII disappears). Having said that, I am very careful not to strip the threads on any of my crown tubes and haven't had an issues. With regard to the caseback, I'm not sure, but considering my watch will only be opened once every 5-7 years, I'm not too worried.
About those crown threads: In the past I wasnt as careful and it did CO$T me! If the WR is not a big factor for you then I would definatley stay away from screw in crown models! I know there are some models around with 100m WR without the scerw in feature and I believe thats adequate!post #2678 of 53352/16/13 at 6:39ampost #2679 of 53352/16/13 at 2:32pmpost #2680 of 53352/16/13 at 9:54pm
I really like that watch.I can't think of anything similar that would be better in that price range. I guess it depends on your style and what you're choosing the watch for.post #2681 of 53352/16/13 at 11:42pmpost #2682 of 53352/16/13 at 11:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by ant702
About those crown threads: In the past I wasnt as careful and it did CO$T me! If the WR is not a big factor for you then I would definatley stay away from screw in crown models! I know there are some models around with 100m WR without the scerw in feature and I believe thats adequate!
the key is to press the crown in, and rotate backwards until you hear/feel a click. that is when the threads align, and then you're good to go.post #2683 of 53352/17/13 at 2:41ampost #2684 of 53352/17/13 at 12:14pm
Thanks to posts like this my interest in getting one of these Pan homages/marina militare have cropped up again. For less than $100 they look pretty decent. I pretty much want to get one really close to this model. There's two similar ones, ones with a pretty standard looking crown, and one with that crown cover that looks like it has a switch?? It's basically just a crown-lock, correct? I've never had a watch with something like that, could someone give an opinion on a function like that, and would it be worth going for for fun or would it be better to just go for the standard crown?post #2685 of 53352/17/13 at 9:46pmQuote:
You right it does look pretty classic! Personally, I stopped buying quartz analog and went straight to digital! But if you like it and its within your budget, why not
- Poor man's watch thread
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Hanger Project: Affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 8 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge for February 5th 2016 - The Green Jacket 9 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 13 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 15 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 26 minutes ago
- › Help me understand my color choices 26 minutes ago
- › White Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo Jacket for Houston wedding 28 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...