Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/17/17 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Hanger Project Hangers! Natural Stained Walnut 1.5 Inch (Set of 15) Last post on 12/30/16 at 3:03pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Panerai Luminor GMT Automatic (PAM88) Last post on 10/1/16 at 2:06pm in Other Classifieds
- **DROPSX3** Maison Martin Marginal Brass Cuff Bracelet Size S Last post on 6/26/16 at 7:14pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Poor man's watch thread - Page 159post #2371 of 682812/2/12 at 3:09pmpost #2372 of 682812/3/12 at 11:15ampost #2373 of 682812/3/12 at 11:17am
Hey. Just picked up the same second hand on the cheap. It's my first automatic, but compared to my friends Seiko SNK809 it rattles like babies toy when I shake the watch. Does yours do the same? I think I'll have a dealer give it a once over to check it out.post #2374 of 682812/3/12 at 11:35amQuote:
I wouldn't be concerned, it's likely just the rotor of the automatic movement. If I shake mine off my wrist I hear a faint rattling sound, but if you move it in a controlled slow arc, you shouldn't hear anything (and that should mimic more closely what you would expect to hear on your wrist). If it makes significant noise during that motion I might be more concerned. Also, try shaking it with the dial facing the ground, if it is significantly quieter the rotor may be loose.post #2375 of 682812/3/12 at 11:51amQuote:Originally Posted by DLJr
I wouldn't be concerned, it's likely just the rotor of the automatic movement. If I shake mine off my wrist I hear a faint rattling sound, but if you move it in a controlled slow arc, you shouldn't hear anything (and that should mimic more closely what you would expect to hear on your wrist). If it makes significant noise during that motion I might be more concerned. Also, try shaking it with the dial facing the ground, if it is significantly quieter the rotor may be loose.
Thanks for the quick response. Even in a slow arc I get a "ball bearing rolling" sound. Dial down seems to make some difference. Considering I payed $100 shipped and it's in 95% cosmetic shape I'm cool with getting some service done for good measure.post #2376 of 682812/3/12 at 12:05pm
Well in a slow arc, it's still doing work, it just shouldn't be a baby's toy at that point haha. But yeah, it can't hurt to take in and have someone open it up and look at it. It's a machine made, cold movement, but it is very durable so I'm thinking you should be in good shape when someone opens it up. Good luck.
post #2377 of 682812/3/12 at 12:13pmpost #2378 of 682812/3/12 at 12:38pmpost #2379 of 682812/3/12 at 2:10pmpost #2380 of 682812/3/12 at 2:25pmpost #2381 of 682812/3/12 at 3:54pmpost #2382 of 682812/3/12 at 4:12pmpost #2383 of 682812/3/12 at 6:33pmpost #2384 of 682812/4/12 at 11:21ampost #2385 of 682812/4/12 at 6:22pm^ Yeah, checked out some used Orbitas and just not worth it to me at this point. I only have one automatic watch and I guess I'll just have to take it with me on my travels every single week. It's just annoying that I'll have to change the time twice a week to take into account the time zone differences, but guess I'll just learn to deal with it. So, no watch winder for me.. for now, at least.
Back to looking for straps! I'm so beyond lost.. Who knew there could be so many aspects to bands.. crocodile vs alligator.. deployant/deployment bands.. long/normal/short bands.. sigh. Just too many different types of combinations and I don't know what would look best with my Blue Spark.
To be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to spending a bit for a nice band, even though the watch itself isn't very expensive. I guess my best bet is to visit a jewelry store and compare straps in person? I have a thin wrist so I'm starting to think that a 'normal' length band might actually be too long. Apparently the proper length band will cause the buckle to align right in the middle of the bottom of your wrist? I'm always using the second-to-last hole on my straps.
- The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 11 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 15 minutes ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 33 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 40 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 44 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 45 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › Croquis sartoriaux / Sartorial sketches 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...