Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- **DROPSX3** Maison Martin Marginal Brass Cuff Bracelet Size S Last post on 6/26/16 at 7:14pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Versace Medusa Icon Necklace Last post on 2/1/16 at 12:17am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- FS: CARTIER - C De Cartier Decor Money Clip Last post on 8/4/15 at 9:47pm in Buying and Selling
Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Poor man's watch thread - Page 159post #2371 of 597312/2/12 at 3:09pmpost #2372 of 597312/3/12 at 11:15ampost #2373 of 597312/3/12 at 11:17am
Hey. Just picked up the same second hand on the cheap. It's my first automatic, but compared to my friends Seiko SNK809 it rattles like babies toy when I shake the watch. Does yours do the same? I think I'll have a dealer give it a once over to check it out.post #2374 of 597312/3/12 at 11:35amQuote:
I wouldn't be concerned, it's likely just the rotor of the automatic movement. If I shake mine off my wrist I hear a faint rattling sound, but if you move it in a controlled slow arc, you shouldn't hear anything (and that should mimic more closely what you would expect to hear on your wrist). If it makes significant noise during that motion I might be more concerned. Also, try shaking it with the dial facing the ground, if it is significantly quieter the rotor may be loose.post #2375 of 597312/3/12 at 11:51amQuote:Originally Posted by DLJr
I wouldn't be concerned, it's likely just the rotor of the automatic movement. If I shake mine off my wrist I hear a faint rattling sound, but if you move it in a controlled slow arc, you shouldn't hear anything (and that should mimic more closely what you would expect to hear on your wrist). If it makes significant noise during that motion I might be more concerned. Also, try shaking it with the dial facing the ground, if it is significantly quieter the rotor may be loose.
Thanks for the quick response. Even in a slow arc I get a "ball bearing rolling" sound. Dial down seems to make some difference. Considering I payed $100 shipped and it's in 95% cosmetic shape I'm cool with getting some service done for good measure.post #2376 of 597312/3/12 at 12:05pm
Well in a slow arc, it's still doing work, it just shouldn't be a baby's toy at that point haha. But yeah, it can't hurt to take in and have someone open it up and look at it. It's a machine made, cold movement, but it is very durable so I'm thinking you should be in good shape when someone opens it up. Good luck.
post #2377 of 597312/3/12 at 12:13pmpost #2378 of 597312/3/12 at 12:38pmpost #2379 of 597312/3/12 at 2:10pmpost #2380 of 597312/3/12 at 2:25pmpost #2381 of 597312/3/12 at 3:54pmpost #2382 of 597312/3/12 at 4:12pmpost #2383 of 597312/3/12 at 6:33pmpost #2384 of 597312/4/12 at 11:21ampost #2385 of 597312/4/12 at 6:22pm^ Yeah, checked out some used Orbitas and just not worth it to me at this point. I only have one automatic watch and I guess I'll just have to take it with me on my travels every single week. It's just annoying that I'll have to change the time twice a week to take into account the time zone differences, but guess I'll just learn to deal with it. So, no watch winder for me.. for now, at least.
Back to looking for straps! I'm so beyond lost.. Who knew there could be so many aspects to bands.. crocodile vs alligator.. deployant/deployment bands.. long/normal/short bands.. sigh. Just too many different types of combinations and I don't know what would look best with my Blue Spark.
To be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to spending a bit for a nice band, even though the watch itself isn't very expensive. I guess my best bet is to visit a jewelry store and compare straps in person? I have a thin wrist so I'm starting to think that a 'normal' length band might actually be too long. Apparently the proper length band will cause the buckle to align right in the middle of the bottom of your wrist? I'm always using the second-to-last hole on my straps.
- The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
- › 16 hours in Paris?!?!? 2 minutes ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 10 minutes ago
- › Official Terrorist Bombing and Other Acts of Inhumanity Thread 11 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 13 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 16 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 18 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 19 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 19 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding