or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's watch thread - Page 155

post #2311 of 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoefish8 View Post

Hey guys, posting here hoping for some advice on my very first watch purchase.

What I'm looking for:
  • White face
  • Leather wristband
  • Basically a classic piece that will go with most outfits.
  • Between £150-£200

Depending on your wrist size you might find 43mm a bit big to be versatile. In that price range for the style of watch you are looking for, I would think a quartz is your best bet. So maybe also look at a Citizen or a Tissot.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-CA0331-05A-Eco-Drive-Stainless-Chronograph/dp/B00843LBLM/ref=sr_1_8?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1352908841&sr=1-8
post #2312 of 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian B View Post

I would buy this: http://www.kentwang.com/accessories/bauhaus-watch.html

I actually really like this watch for its simplicity. Do you have the specific model, I can't seem to find it elsewhere. Not sure if I'm too fond of the blue hands, otherwise it's spotless. Could end up being a tad boring after some time aswell, not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post


Depending on your wrist size you might find 43mm a bit big to be versatile. In that price range for the style of watch you are looking for, I would think a quartz is your best bet. So maybe also look at a Citizen or a Tissot.
http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-CA0331-05A-Eco-Drive-Stainless-Chronograph/dp/B00843LBLM/ref=sr_1_8?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1352908841&sr=1-8

I've seen quite a few of the Tissots and frankly they strike me as quite droll. I haven't pinpointed what I actually want in my time piece yet, but I feel I would get bored of a Tissot. On the other hand the Zeppelin is starting to feel a bit cluttered. Gah, its such a subjective jungle of aesthetics that seems to change every time I open my browser.

 

I guess I'm searching for a stylish classic watch that still has some essence of originality.

 

This one seems nice as well:

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Junkers-Chronograph-Bauhaus-Display-6086-5/dp/B006ROJX6K/ref=sr_1_4?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1352910894&sr=1-4

post #2313 of 3838

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoefish8 View Post

I actually really like this watch for its simplicity. Do you have the specific model, I can't seem to find it elsewhere. 

I designed it myself (with some help from the watchmaker). It's not available anywhere else.

post #2314 of 3838
For those who have both an Orient Mako and an Orient Ray, do you guys notice a difference between the quality of the two. I recently purchased a Ray and compared it to my Mako.

Issues on my Ray:
1)Crown is much looser. When unscrewed, it looks like its about to come off.
2)Power reserve is significantly less than 40 hrs.
3)Time seems to be off by a couple minutes as opposed to several seconds on the mako.


Did any of you guys have these problems?
post #2315 of 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post


Tough to duplicate the arrow hands. This Seiko might be close enough for you. You could find the strap separately if it fits but it will be more than the watch unless you use a leather version.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-5-LATEST-MENS-AUTOMATIC-DARK-BLUE-FACE-SNK603K1-/221062179772?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item3378552bbc#ht_4128wt_1080

 

Just noticed awesome looking watch. Anyone have this Seiko?  Is it anything close to the Omega or not even worth trying.  Also found this one...

 

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNE049-Solar-Strap-Watch/dp/B004400ZCK/ref=sr_1_16?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1352933121&sr=1-16&keywords=seiko+5+blue+dial

 

Anyone find a comparable strap?

post #2316 of 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

This Omega Seamaster posted earlier is one of the best looking watches I have ever seen.
Does anyone know of a cheap knockoff of this style?
I really like the deep blue face
the almost cherry red leather band
the lack of excessive numbers on the dial and chronographs

Here is the original pic i'm trying to replicate

post #2317 of 3838
post #2318 of 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake11 View Post

Here is the original pic i'm trying to replicate

Reevolving created a separate thread where he duplicated the watch for just over $100 with links. It was actually pretty good.
post #2319 of 3838
another good alternative, combining vintage Chinese watch tradition from 1958 (plum blossom guilloche dial, red jewel seconds hand) with bespoke design and boutique production -

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/genesis-new-boutique-chinese-watchmaker-design-your-dream-chinese-watch-751238-11.html

under 400 if Im not mistaken.
post #2320 of 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ B ~ View Post

another good alternative, combining vintage Chinese watch tradition from 1958 (plum blossom guilloche dial, red jewel seconds hand) with bespoke design and boutique production -
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/genesis-new-boutique-chinese-watchmaker-design-your-dream-chinese-watch-751238-11.html
under 400 if Im not mistaken.

Very interesting - will follow!
post #2321 of 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwalihd View Post

Should I get these watches?  Just looking for an everyday watch.  Thanks for opinions!






http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1110283/citizen-eco-drive-stainless-steel-leather-watch-ao9000-06b.jsp

I like that Citizen quite a bit as I've been looking for a white dialed version. I have a few of those Eco-Drives and they are great. My every day wear is an Eco-Drive.
post #2322 of 3838

What do you guys think about the Timex Andros watch?

 

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/Sale/AllProducts/PRDOVR~48137/99102425220/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~20+16+4294967119~90~~~~~~~/48137.jsp

 

There is an extra 30% off right now on it and was wondering if this is worth it for around 130ish

post #2323 of 3838
I always thought those Timex collaborations were overpriced and silly.
post #2324 of 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by yywwyy View Post

I always thought those Timex collaborations were overpriced and silly.

I concur. That's a $50 watch.

post #2325 of 3838
You think that much?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread