or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's watch thread - Page 147

post #2191 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hober View Post

I want to buy a simple clean looking titanium watch that is comfortable and have been looking at this Citizen golf watch - anyone have it?
http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM7120-01E-Titanium-Drive-Watch/dp/B004JKFJ6M

I like the Seiko 5 shown above your post much better. It's good to 100m, an auto not a quartz which I think makes it more interesting, it has a better dial IMO and it's cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamergod View Post

My view is that what Massimo has done was to take iconic watches, IWC, Rolex and some old school simple chronographs and just made it with their name on it. It's pretty much like buying a Parnis/homage, just with a more well known brand.
I would buy it if I had the money to spare of if it was slightly cheaper. Probably in the low 100 range.

Oh that's totally what they did. Not sure what's inside them either. If it's an ETA movement though, not a bad price.
post #2192 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodstyle View Post

Thanks guys

just preordered the ocean black DLC instead, vintage military was sold out, i hope it will seating right on my 6'5 wrist.

Good choice, but I prefer the yellow myself.
post #2193 of 3944

If you like the simple style titanium, I've got one of these from Skagen I love for weekend wear.   Very thin and light.  Also comes in other color combos.  Good quartz movement.

 

post #2194 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmittonz View Post

Put a blue croc strap on my blue spark. Watchmakers kept telling me to just buy a new watch when I called asking for a quote to service it since it was running fast (20 min per hour). Finally got it fixed and I'm loving it. Holds a lot of sentimental value for me since my wife bought it for me when she visited Japan. That's probably why I was willing to install a strap that cost almost as much as the watch itself!

I am sorry but who in their right mind would tell you to just buy a new watch instead of servicing a Blue Spark? First of all, the watch can't be more than 4 years old. In other words, a modern movement with parts that shouldn't be hard to find. Second, it's a classic modern Seiko watch if there ever was one. I would have done the same as you.
post #2195 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayland View Post

I like this watch. Is there anything special about the Japanese Market Seiko 5?

Japanese market watches are typically made in Japan.

Many of the non Japanese domestic market watches (even the same models) tend to be made in Malaysia or Thailand. So, some Seiko 5 watches are Japan made, others are not.
All things being equal, I prefer made in Japan to made in Malaysia

Many of the interesting Seiko models are only available in the Japanese market. (for example most of the high-end Seikos are not exported)
post #2196 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayland View Post

I like this watch. Is there anything special about the Japanese Market Seiko 5?

I have the J model as well. There's no extra quality in it over a K model (outside Japan designation). That's pretty much just a myth. On mine it says MADE IN JAPAN on tiny print on the dial and the alternate language is Arabic.
post #2197 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post

I like the Seiko 5 shown above your post much better. It's good to 100m, an auto not a quartz which I think makes it more interesting, it has a better dial IMO and it's cheaper.
.....

Yes, you are correct the Seiko 5 does have a very nice look but it seems to have a lower build quality - for example it does not use a sapphire crystal which is a must for me as I often work with my hands and have two small kids that I play with daily. I have a low, almost zero tolerance for scratches.

The Citizen watch strap also looks comfortable and I love quartz watches with Eco drive for casual watches.



Btodoroff,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, a nice watch but not the look that works for me as a sports/casual work watch.

The Skagen is a bit more sophisticated than I need.

Has anyone actually bought the watch?
post #2198 of 3944

Any experience with Lucien Piccard's Eiger Series? HauteLook has them on sale for $56 right now. The Chronographs are also on sale for only $74.

post #2199 of 3944

http://cadencewatch.com/4-bit-brand/4-bit-executive

 

Anyone have any watches from cadence?

post #2200 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hober View Post

Yes, you are correct the Seiko 5 does have a very nice look but it seems to have a lower build quality - for example it does not use a sapphire crystal which is a must for me as I often work with my hands and have two small kids that I play with daily. I have a low, almost zero tolerance for scratches.
The Citizen watch strap also looks comfortable and I love quartz watches with Eco drive for casual watches.

Well $200 is almost in used Hamilton range. The Khaki has a similar look and can be found for $300ish used with a bracelet or strap. Certainly don't get hung up on the strap, they are easily replaced.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6317550&rid=0

Khaki Quartz under $200 used
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6302958&rid=0
post #2201 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post

Well $200 is almost in used Hamilton range. The Khaki has a similar look and can be found for $300ish used with a bracelet or strap. Certainly don't get hung up on the strap, they are easily replaced.
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6317550&rid=0
Khaki Quartz under $200 used
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6302958&rid=0

Thank you for the suggestion - I like the dial with the narrow hands http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H68411533-Khaki-Field-Black/dp/B000AONZK8

But I really like Citizen Eco Drive watches - the golf model is relatively new which is why I was asking for reviews
post #2202 of 3944

Hey Sam I don't have a Golf Eco Drive but I do have a similar variant. It is a nice looking watch but beware about a titanium case. It scratches very easily and it is noticeable especially in the polished areas. Aside from that I've had mine for over a year, I've dropped it, banged it against things, its gotten soaked and its still ticking just fine.  Also there is no scratches on the face so sapphire is pretty kickass.

post #2203 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamahabir View Post

Hey Sam I don't have a Golf Eco Drive but I do have a similar variant. It is a nice looking watch but beware about a titanium case. It scratches very easily and it is noticeable especially in the polished areas. Aside from that I've had mine for over a year, I've dropped it, banged it against things, its gotten soaked and its still ticking just fine.  Also there is no scratches on the face so sapphire is pretty kickass.

Thank you for the information.

I like the weight/look of titanium watches and I have a Citizen Eco drive that I bought more than 12 years ago in Tokyo which is still going strong. Although the clasp needs replacing and I can't find a source for a new one yet...

I love the strength, accuracy and that it does not need anything to keep working.

I wonder if after 15 years or so it may need a new internal battery.
post #2204 of 3944

Check out watchuseek and ask around where you might find a new bracelet. The community there is in a category of their own.

 

While I share your sentiments about titanium watches, can't help but want an auto for my next one.

 

Either way its pretty awesome that your old Eco still works! I'm not really sure how long the solar cells are supposed to last 10 - 20 years maybe?

 

What is your budget for the new watch?

post #2205 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglypuff View Post

http://cadencewatch.com/4-bit-brand/4-bit-executive

 

Anyone have any watches from cadence?

 

That's for a poor man?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread