Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Versace Medusa Icon Necklace Last post on 2/1/16 at 12:17am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- FS: CARTIER - C De Cartier Decor Money Clip Last post on 8/4/15 at 9:47pm in Buying and Selling
- Werkstatt Munchen BLISS necklace Last post on 12/24/14 at 2:08am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Poor man's watch thread - Page 128post #1907 of 58918/22/12 at 4:40pmpost #1908 of 58918/24/12 at 9:43pmpost #1909 of 58918/25/12 at 1:45ampost #1910 of 58918/25/12 at 12:41pmpost #1911 of 58918/25/12 at 1:24pmI would avoid Fossil and Nixon and any other names that are known for fashion (Armani, etc). They make OK looking watches, that will probably look good and run good for a while. But they are basically cheap quartz in a fancy package that if you are like a lot of people you'll eventually put in a drawer when it dies and never get the battery changed. You're paying for their logo on the watch mostly and the watch won't be a performance piece.
Seiko makes numerous casual/dress watches, it's the only brand I have much experience with, but I am mostly into Divers. Citizen is another pretty good brand. They are on Amazon. Otherwise peruse this thread on random pages for other brands/ideas.
EDIT: and Orient of course. Those 3 (Seiko Citizen Orient) have a huge range of super affordables, that are actually well-made watches, but there's probably 25+ other really good brands that are pretty good. They all make autos and solars; Citizen Eco Drive are supposed to be pretty reliable but I've never had one.
Edited by WorkingClassDude - 8/25/12 at 4:31pmpost #1912 of 58918/25/12 at 1:37pmpost #1913 of 58918/25/12 at 11:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by WorkingClassDude
I would avoid Fossil and Nixon and any other names that are known for fashion (Armani, etc). They make OK looking watches, that will probably look good and run good for a while. But they are basically cheap quartz in a fancy package that if you are like a lot of people you'll eventually put in a drawer when it dies and never get the battery changed. You're paying for their logo on the watch mostly and the watch won't be a performance piece.
Well....I've got a Kenneth Cole watch and while I hate the brand in general, the watch looks really nice which is why I bought it. It's a cheap quartz in a nice design.post #1914 of 58918/26/12 at 2:50amQuote:
Don't get me wrong... I still have a few Fossils I keep. I haven't worn them in forever, but I do still have a couple that I keep running... I have another handful of them somewhere in storage that I haven't seen in at least 6 or 7 years. They are OK, I'd like to see them again... I just ended up getting hooked more on autos and divers and really shifted my focus. I still have a few quartzes and a digital.
I guess in a lot of ways they are really good poorman watches, haha. They do have tons of designs.post #1915 of 58918/26/12 at 6:31pmpost #1916 of 58918/27/12 at 1:18ampost #1917 of 58918/27/12 at 4:21amHey guys, I'm thinking about getting my own Chinese movement which are selling for about 30 plus dollars and source out my own parts to make my own kit watch. Thinking of either designing my own dial or find a nice stock one. I'd reckon everything will run up to about 70 plus dollars.
And if it's a feasible business idea, I might want to use it to make some sides to supplement my pocket money for school or savings for college.
What do you guys think? Anyone of you have any experiences?post #1918 of 58918/27/12 at 4:29ampost #1919 of 58918/27/12 at 7:40amQuote:+1 any thoughts on this? I love the style and am picking up the Seiko 5 Automatic posted on Ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-5-LATEST-MENS-AUTOMATIC-DARK-BLUE-FACE-SNK603K1-/221062179772?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item3378552bbc#ht_4128wt_1080post #1920 of 58918/27/12 at 8:02amQuote:
After a closer look the Seiko on Ebay has a shaded blue while the Omega has a nice dark solid blue. If someone has suggestions with a similar Seiko and strap I would really appreciate it. I absolutely love the Omega
- The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Currently, there are 1437 Active Users (294 Members and 1143 Guests)
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 48 seconds ago
- › *** The official and awesome DIY thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Alden x J Crew PCT Boot 8.5D Barrie 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 6 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding