Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- **DROPSX3** Maison Martin Marginal Brass Cuff Bracelet Size S Last post on 6/26/16 at 7:14pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Versace Medusa Icon Necklace Last post on 2/1/16 at 12:17am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- FS: CARTIER - C De Cartier Decor Money Clip Last post on 8/4/15 at 9:47pm in Buying and Selling
Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Poor man's watch thread - Page 128post #1907 of 61488/22/12 at 4:40pmpost #1908 of 61488/24/12 at 9:43pmpost #1909 of 61488/25/12 at 1:45ampost #1910 of 61488/25/12 at 12:41pmpost #1911 of 61488/25/12 at 1:24pmI would avoid Fossil and Nixon and any other names that are known for fashion (Armani, etc). They make OK looking watches, that will probably look good and run good for a while. But they are basically cheap quartz in a fancy package that if you are like a lot of people you'll eventually put in a drawer when it dies and never get the battery changed. You're paying for their logo on the watch mostly and the watch won't be a performance piece.
Seiko makes numerous casual/dress watches, it's the only brand I have much experience with, but I am mostly into Divers. Citizen is another pretty good brand. They are on Amazon. Otherwise peruse this thread on random pages for other brands/ideas.
EDIT: and Orient of course. Those 3 (Seiko Citizen Orient) have a huge range of super affordables, that are actually well-made watches, but there's probably 25+ other really good brands that are pretty good. They all make autos and solars; Citizen Eco Drive are supposed to be pretty reliable but I've never had one.
Edited by WorkingClassDude - 8/25/12 at 4:31pmpost #1912 of 61488/25/12 at 1:37pmpost #1913 of 61488/25/12 at 11:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by WorkingClassDude
I would avoid Fossil and Nixon and any other names that are known for fashion (Armani, etc). They make OK looking watches, that will probably look good and run good for a while. But they are basically cheap quartz in a fancy package that if you are like a lot of people you'll eventually put in a drawer when it dies and never get the battery changed. You're paying for their logo on the watch mostly and the watch won't be a performance piece.
Well....I've got a Kenneth Cole watch and while I hate the brand in general, the watch looks really nice which is why I bought it. It's a cheap quartz in a nice design.post #1914 of 61488/26/12 at 2:50amQuote:
Don't get me wrong... I still have a few Fossils I keep. I haven't worn them in forever, but I do still have a couple that I keep running... I have another handful of them somewhere in storage that I haven't seen in at least 6 or 7 years. They are OK, I'd like to see them again... I just ended up getting hooked more on autos and divers and really shifted my focus. I still have a few quartzes and a digital.
I guess in a lot of ways they are really good poorman watches, haha. They do have tons of designs.post #1915 of 61488/26/12 at 6:31pmpost #1916 of 61488/27/12 at 1:18ampost #1917 of 61488/27/12 at 4:21amHey guys, I'm thinking about getting my own Chinese movement which are selling for about 30 plus dollars and source out my own parts to make my own kit watch. Thinking of either designing my own dial or find a nice stock one. I'd reckon everything will run up to about 70 plus dollars.
And if it's a feasible business idea, I might want to use it to make some sides to supplement my pocket money for school or savings for college.
What do you guys think? Anyone of you have any experiences?post #1918 of 61488/27/12 at 4:29ampost #1919 of 61488/27/12 at 7:40amQuote:+1 any thoughts on this? I love the style and am picking up the Seiko 5 Automatic posted on Ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-5-LATEST-MENS-AUTOMATIC-DARK-BLUE-FACE-SNK603K1-/221062179772?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item3378552bbc#ht_4128wt_1080post #1920 of 61488/27/12 at 8:02amQuote:
After a closer look the Seiko on Ebay has a shaded blue while the Omega has a nice dark solid blue. If someone has suggestions with a similar Seiko and strap I would really appreciate it. I absolutely love the Omega
- The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Currently, there are 864 Active Users (150 Members and 714 Guests)
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 minute ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 5 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 9 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 14 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 17 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 23 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 27 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 28 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...