or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's watch thread - Page 85

post #1261 of 3883
469Enjoying mixing in the NATO style bands with wearing a suit. Not going to make it a habit, but once in a while it feels good to sport a watch without a leather or metal band at the office.
post #1262 of 3883

I love the Seiko automatics, such great watches. I have this one and wear it nearly everyday.

 

seiko_5.jpg

post #1263 of 3883
i don't own a watch, but would like to. i've tried reading this thread and a few others, but am still completely lost as to what a good first watch is. i get the feeling that a seiko 5 is a good first watch, but even within that one line, there seem to be several (read: too many) choices. can someone just point me to one specific model that is a decent first watch to get (for a business casual environment), that's easy to find, and isn't crappy but also isn't too spendy? like the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue of watches? thanks so much dudes!
post #1264 of 3883
While the seiko 5 range is pretty extensive, you'll find very few of them really worth owning. The movement and features are all the same so I'm talking purely of aestethics here.
Go for the black military snk809 or the classier one mentioned upthread, snx111 for the dressy sports watch I'd go with the snk661 though.
Just make sure that you get one with normal space between the lugs so you can change the bracelet.
post #1265 of 3883
dude you have no idea how helpful that was. thanks so much.

one question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dron View Post

the classier one mentioned upthread

which one is that?
post #1266 of 3883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

dude you have no idea how helpful that was. thanks so much.
one question:
which one is that?

snx111, I think. You're welcome, just remember that this is all my subjective opinion.
post #1267 of 3883

$1000 watch is not considered a poor watch. lol I understand it is when comparing it to the higher end ones.

post #1268 of 3883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

i don't own a watch, but would like to. i've tried reading this thread and a few others, but am still completely lost as to what a good first watch is. i get the feeling that a seiko 5 is a good first watch, but even within that one line, there seem to be several (read: too many) choices. can someone just point me to one specific model that is a decent first watch to get (for a business casual environment), that's easy to find, and isn't crappy but also isn't too spendy? like the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue of watches? thanks so much dudes!


Orient Black Mako:

81T6mIMHs4L._AA1500_.jpg

 

 

 

post #1269 of 3883
Quote:
Originally Posted by dron View Post

While the seiko 5 range is pretty extensive, you'll find very few of them really worth owning. The movement and features are all the same so I'm talking purely of aestethics here.
Go for the black military snk809 or the classier one mentioned upthread, snx111 for the dressy sports watch I'd go with the snk661 though.
Just make sure that you get one with normal space between the lugs so you can change the bracelet.


Don't forget the Seiko 5 SNZJ series:

618smCEsIEL._AA1000_.jpg

seiko5header.jpg

 

Edit:  Or the submariner vibed SNZH:

 

71t1ZhjRhKL._AA1280_.jpg

IMG_5721m.jpg

post #1270 of 3883
thanks everyone. i really like the look of this seiko, but can't figure out what model it is. any tips?

i'm assuming that, given my luck, this will be some hard to find japan-only model, or some sort of hard to find vintage piece. so, if that's the case, any suggestions for similar watches would be greatly appreciated!
270
post #1271 of 3883

It's a Seiko 5 of very recent vintage.  There are about 200 variations on that watch.  I like the one you've picked. Mind you, if you're unfamiliar with the current 5 lineup then you may see something along those lines that you like even more when you peruse the catalog..  Stylings range from military to traditional to sporty.  These are Japan and Asia only watches.  They feature auto winding and quickset day and date plus a display back.  The glass is a reasonably tough Hardlex formulation that probably is a little more scratch resistant than the steel case is.  (Really.)  The street price should be a liitle less than $75 to your door.  Ebay is full of brand new 5s from big time Singapore and Hong Kong sellers.  Start digging through the listings.  Or share your picture here http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=47730e959808b85216461e9b33bd38cd& (The SCWF) and let one of the friendly enthusiasts tell you the precise model number you're looking for.

 

Seiko 5s are solid, reliable, no frills, extremely high quality for the money watches.  I own a few from the past decade that get wrist time in spite of competing with other watches in my box that cost many multiples more.

post #1272 of 3883
Thoughts on this? Did I buy a Frankenwatch? They said they just serviced it and they appear reputable watch people.


http://www.ebay.com/itm/150734022787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2432wt_1165
post #1273 of 3883
nice watch, i'd say solid buy, i'm not an expert, but given that they've shown you the movement and caliber number, unlikely to be a Frankenwatch. It's not exactly my style but it's a solid watch and if you like it, two thumbs up for sure.

That's a gorgeous Seiko above it, btw.
post #1274 of 3883
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbuff View Post

Thoughts on this? Did I buy a Frankenwatch? They said they just serviced it and they appear reputable watch people.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150734022787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2432wt_1165


It's a good looking watch.  Wear it.  It's not a collector piece because the crown is non-original and it isn't an Omega replacement part.  Plus I believe the dial is a redial.  Probably other non-Omega stuff in there too. 

 

There's a database out there somewhere where you can run the various numbers to see if that movement was originally in that case.  Look for it. 

 

I wouldn't get it wet no matter what anybody told you.

 

Frankenwatch concerns kick in at the $1000+ level when you start fooling with the early SMP 300s and soforth. 

 

post #1275 of 3883
I have no idea what any of that means, but thank you!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's watch thread