• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I love how the Yankees were hoping for Pettite's return. Oops.

With the Rays still being an 80+ win team, the Sox having the best team on paper, the Jays being pretty damn good, and the Orioles on the upswing, they are going to STRUGGLE.
bounce2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on Jeter watch this year. 3000 hits. I may try and get tickets if he does it in Baltimore.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vlad the impaler signed by the O's for 8M. sounded expensive at first, but then seeing his production its actually a nice pick up at a great price for the Oriels. They have stars at position players but need to luck out and develop an Ace starter from the minors/draft.

I wonder if they could trade for Zach Grienke. Seems like they could pull it off and he'd be amendable to play in the maryland market.

my redsox are strong pitching wise, but pitching is rarely bought sucessfully, its better to develop like they did with Papelbon (who's now iffy), Bucholdz (breakout going on Ace), and Lester (ace).

it sucks that pettite retired because now the yankees will never let Joba go. Joba could be great if developed properly.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Prediction - Phillies aren't going to win it all this year. SOMETHING will go wrong.

Im wondering where the Phillies' bats are supposed to come from.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD

I wonder if they could trade for Zach Grienke. Seems like they could pull it off and he'd be amendable to play in the maryland market.

I can't imagine the Brewers trading him away. With him and Gallardo one and two on their staff, they have a legitimate shot at winning the NL Central. (The Brewers are my team, so maybe that's too optimistic. But I'm excited about their chances this year.)

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I can't imagine the Brewers trading him away. With him and Gallardo one and two on their staff, they have a legitimate shot at winning the NL Central. (The Brewers are my team, so maybe that's too optimistic. But I'm excited about their chances this year.)
true. I was just thinking its a "seattle 2010 situation" in brewer country then the brewers have a ton of assets to trade away before the deadline to get a ton of prospects. that said it would be nice for the brewers to be awesome this year with that excellent 1-2 starting rotation plus the NL central is wide open. here's some scary scenarios: - albert pujos negotiations break down - seattle sucking again (and F. Hernandez gets dangled) - the brewers don't make a playoffs push and dangle any of their young stars (braun, fielder, grenkie, Gallardo). obviously the yankees would be willing to trade the farm for any Ace. The redsox actually have a young pitcher (Clay B.) and prospects to trade for a Pitcher and or Prospects and Ellusbury for a position player. i also think San Fran knows that it can make a push to add another ace and just ride their pitching again by trading using their farm (surprisingly deep).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Brew's are going to be MAJOR players on the trade market this year. I bet that pretty much everybody except Braun will be expendable. Fielder will definitely go and I actually think he'll end up in San Fransisco. That's a perfect fit for them.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree, Fielder will almost certainly be leaving. That's a shame, because he's really been the face of the franchise, despite Braun's great performance. Also agree that Braun's not expendable. As for the rest, I hope you're wrong. I think everything's going to depend on the quality of the Brewers' pitching this year. I'm still a bit nervous about three through five.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree, Fielder will almost certainly be leaving. That's a shame, because he's really been the face of the franchise, despite Braun's great performance. Also agree that Braun's not expendable. As for the rest, I hope you're wrong. I think everything's going to depend on the quality of the Brewers' pitching this year. I'm still a bit nervous about three through five.
They are going to finish in third, like always.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it sucks that pettite retired because now the yankees will never let Joba go. Joba could be great if developed properly.

Joba's a fraud. There are no bad teams in the AL East this year. Three great, one really good team and an Os squad that will be dangerous soon enough.

Brewers will be in the thick of things all year.

stff

pujols isn't going anywhere.

guster

Reaction score
I hope you are right.

Originally Posted by edinatlanta
**** that Yankees thread.

So I love how the Yankees were hoping for Pettite's return. Oops.

With the Rays still being an 80+ win team, the Sox having the best team on paper, the Jays being pretty damn good, and the Orioles on the upswing, they are going to STRUGGLE.
bounce2.gif

guster

Reaction score
The Brewers woiuld have to be way out of it for the team to trade assets they just got. That division is wide open so I suspect even if the Brewers get off to a slow start, if they are within 10 games at trde deadline, noone gets dealt. Brewers GM subscribes to theory that you need 3 strong starters in playoffs. He has 2 if Grienke head stays in the game. Their bullpen and catching situation will be interesting to watch how it develops.
Big exception to trade above is Fielder. But how many teams will want to pick up a $15M contract that will expire at season's end. And he has Boras as an agent right? Ouch. That limits him but maybe those playoff bound teams will look at renting him for 6-7M for last few months of season and playoffs.

Watch Buchholz. His picthing coach is gone and so is his catcher. The guy most credited with his development was down in double A so maybe Farrell didn't have much to do with his success last year. Just don't know if Saltimacchia can handle pitchers. Veritek can but how much will his bat allow him to play. Starting job is Salty's for the taking.

vlad the impaler signed by the O's for 8M. sounded expensive at first, but then seeing his production its actually a nice pick up at a great price for the Oriels. They have stars at position players but need to luck out and develop an Ace starter from the minors/draft.

my redsox are strong pitching wise, but pitching is rarely bought sucessfully, its better to develop like they did with Papelbon (who's now iffy), Bucholdz (breakout going on Ace), and Lester (ace).

guster

Reaction score
Fielder/Boras are supposed to be looking for looking for a $180M contract similiar to Teixeira. Wow. Lot of money and long term to put into a guy that does not get on base as often as Teixeira, doesn't field like him and has a body type that has proven to flame out fast when players hit their 30s. Who can afford that. And would even the Sox or Yankees pay that for a DH? Angles are less set at 1B but Morales is signed for 1 year at 2.5-$3M is. Think they could resign him for a lot less than Fielder. And they have a good 1B prospect in minors.

Think other teams would try to steal Hosmer from Royals or Yelich fromthan pay $180 for Fielder. And Reds have Alonso as a trading chip. Seems like Fielder has a lot of competition at much less lower cost. Good luck getting an long term $180M contract.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads