or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB Season Thread - Page 50

post #736 of 5149
I see it whenever I drive back to St. Louis very time from the highway. Nothing too special.
post #737 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post

Since there is no Game 7 tonight, Fox is showing "The X Factor." The Tigers, meanwhile, are the ex factor. No joy in Mudville, today.
Congrats to the Rangers.

Indeed. Bad weekend to be a Tiger, Wolverine, or Lion fan. My wife was happy that X Factor was on last night though. lol


I try to look at the bright side of the Tigers' season coming to an end: That was probably the last time we'll see Brad Penny in a Tiger uniform.
post #738 of 5149
^^ this offseason should be nice. $25 million comes off the books thanks to Maggs, Guillen, and Penny. BUT JV gets a raise, but after all that we should have $15-18 million to spend if Illitch keeps the payroll the same, but he was on record this weekend saying he will do all it takes even if that means raising the payroll. I assume the starting pitching is set. JV, Fister ($500K bargain!!), Porcello, Max, and maybe Turner?

We need to take care of Valverde. so the needs this offseason are closer, 3rd, and 2nd. secondary to that, backup catcher. no way can avila can do what he did the year.

oh and i went 1-3 this weekend. thanks to Denard.
post #739 of 5149
Ugh, if the Cardinals win the World Series I'm done with baseball.....until next season. Baseball, you saucy bitch.
post #740 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

Indeed. Bad weekend to be a Tiger, Wolverine, or Lion fan. My wife was happy that X Factor was on last night though. lol
I try to look at the bright side of the Tigers' season coming to an end: That was probably the last time we'll see Brad Penny in a Tiger uniform.

Last Wednesday, there was a chant by the guys sitting behind me in Comerica Park: "No Penny! No Perry!"
post #741 of 5149
After Sunday's Lions-49ers post game kerfuffle, it was refreshing to read this in today's Detroit Free Press:

Jim Leyland: "First of all, let me congratulate the Texas Rangers," Leyland said. "The entire organization. They earned it.

"They proved in this series that they were the team that should represent the American League in the World Series, and I tip my hat to them."

Moments later, after the Rangers celebrated the pennant on the field, manager Ron Washington appeared in the interview room. He also said something before he took any questions.

"I want to congratulate the Detroit Tigers for the spirit and the way they fought out there and the fun that they gave to the fans through this series," Washington said. "Jim Leyland is one heck of a baseball man and he has one heck of a baseball team.

"It's just unfortunate that someone had to win and someone had to lose. But I just want to say congratulations to them."
post #742 of 5149
Thread Starter 
Interestingly... enough St Louis wins the WS they will have the worst rotation to win it since... the 2006 Cardinals.
post #743 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Interestingly... enough St Louis wins the WS they will have the worst rotation to win it since... the 2006 Cardinals.

So much for "pitching wins championships". I think the best pitching rotation, since I started following baseball in 1995, has to be the 2004 A's when it was Hudson Zito and Mulder. I mean sure you could say the 01 Diamondback but they only had 2 guys and BK Kim.
post #744 of 5149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post

So much for "pitching wins championships". I think the best pitching rotation, since I started following baseball in 1995, has to be the 2004 A's when it was Hudson Zito and Mulder. I mean sure you could say the 01 Diamondback but they only had 2 guys and BK Kim.

well their bullpen is really good now. and if you commit 1000 errors you're going to lose... we shall see.
post #745 of 5149
Cardinals FTW!!!!!!
post #746 of 5149
About 85% of ESPN's analysts picked the Rangers to win the series. I find that number ridiculous, considering the Royals or Orioles could probably win a 7 game series against either team at least 15% of the time. And St. Louis has home field.
post #747 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

About 85% of ESPN's analysts picked the Rangers to win the series. I find that number ridiculous, considering the Royals or Orioles could probably win a 7 game series against either team at least 15% of the time. And St. Louis has home field.

100% of the time!! Don't you forget it! O's 2013.
post #748 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

About 85% of ESPN's analysts picked the Rangers to win the series. I find that number ridiculous, considering the Royals or Orioles could probably win a 7 game series against either team at least 15% of the time. And St. Louis has home field.

Sports "experts" are generally pretty terrible at making picks, much less picks against a spread. Looking up the season averages for ESPN picks is always hilarious, they pretty much all end up right around .500. A few of them are much better though.
post #749 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

About 85% of ESPN's analysts picked the Rangers to win the series. I find that number ridiculous, considering the Royals or Orioles could probably win a 7 game series against either team at least 15% of the time. And St. Louis has home field.

Sports "experts" are generally pretty terrible at making picks, much less picks against a spread. Looking up the season averages for ESPN picks is always hilarious, they pretty much all end up right around .500. A few of them are much better though.

In fairness though it's not like the ESPN analysts said that the Cards had a 15% chance of winning. They were just asked to pick between the two and only 15% chose the Cards. Big difference.
post #750 of 5149
Go Cards tonight! I was Oh-So-Close to getting tickets for the game. I work in downtown STL and it was hard to see people walking to the game as I walked to my car to drive home.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread