or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB Season Thread - Page 334

post #4996 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post


Veni, feel free to gloat.

Never. I will not jynx my team like that.
post #4997 of 5149
Video of hilariously wrong "wild pitch" call allowing two Indian runners to score on an obvious foul ball is awesome.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/200242548/indians-score-2-on-foul-wild-pitch-confusion
post #4998 of 5149

Why in the world is a foul ball not reviewable? I mean, I guess they figured no ump (lol Jim Joyce) would be shitty enough to not recognize the sound of ball on wood? 

post #4999 of 5149

Why in the world is anything reviewable.  Either everything should be reviewed or nothing.  1 or 0.

post #5000 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

Why in the world is a foul ball not reviewable? I mean, I guess they figured no ump (lol Jim Joyce) would be shitty enough to not recognize the sound of ball on wood? 

Dunno. Maybe it's just part of the notion that ball-strike calls are the third rail of fuck-you-because-I'm-the-umpire-that's-why.
But wouldn't the better umpiring move have been to check with the other guys on your crew? Surely they didn't all miss it.
post #5001 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

But wouldn't the better umpiring move have been to check with the other guys on your crew? Surely they didn't all miss it.

 

That's a good point. Just because something can't be reviewed doesn't mean the umpires can't consult and change the call. 

post #5002 of 5149

The umpires refusing to get together and overturn a call is what led to video reviews to begin with.  That whole perfect game ruined because of an awful call.  All they would have had to do is get together, and the home plate umpire could have said "that dude was clearly out" and the 1st base umpire could have changed his call.

 

For whatever reason, they don't, and it is a shame.

post #5003 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

The umpires refusing to get together and overturn a call is what led to video reviews to begin with.  That whole perfect game ruined because of an awful call.  All they would have had to do is get together, and the home plate umpire could have said "that dude was clearly out" and the 1st base umpire could have changed his call.

For whatever reason, they don't, and it is a shame.

It seems especially lame in this circumstance.
They should really swallow their egos and do it whenever it might lead to the right call. But I can sort of, kind of, understand the reluctance on a close-ish play at first, for example, where the first base ump feels he had a clear view and it would really come down to one of his colleagues saying, "no, I think you're wrong". But when you're talking about whether or not a batter fouled a ball off, where the home plate umpire is behind the batter and the catcher (and the bat itself) whereas the field umps have a direct, unobstructed view of the bat hitting or (not) the ball, it seems like a no-brainer. That obvious difference in angle and (un)obstructed view is one of the reasons a home plate ump will routinely grant a request to get a second opinion on whether or not a batter successfully checked his swing.
post #5004 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

What were you saying? nest.gif

Ethan...take your pills.



Back here in reality? ..big big series v BoSox this wknd. :S
post #5005 of 5149

I really don't know what take your pills means or why you keep saying it but the Yankees are making the postseason. 

 

Also, Sanchez was just a couple feet away from hitting a homer off of a pitch out. 

post #5006 of 5149
Yeah but are they though?
post #5007 of 5149

You do realize that every time you've posted that they've gotten closer, right? 

post #5008 of 5149
It's an impressive streak I will not deny, however tis also heading into 3rd stddev territory. Do they have the juju to bust up into the WC spot? Odds would objectively say no.
post #5009 of 5149

I don't know what odds you're talking about but you might want to look at the Yankees 2nd half schedule and that we have 7 games against the Sox, 4 against the Jays and 3 against Baltimore coming up. 

post #5010 of 5149
Yeah good luck against Boston lol aka the MLB runs machine. I don't spend much time on janquiz' odds..i did read Jays need a meager .350 win rate for these last weeks to hold the WC spot der own selves.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread