or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB Season Thread - Page 314

post #4696 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post


I'm totally relaxed, dude. I'm not the one getting defensive about someone disagreeing with me in a meaningless baseball discussion.
And yes, of course I can see how people might vote for any one of a number of players. There's no one "right" way to look at it.

thank you, sir.   that was my point to start with.  there wasn't a "right" way.

 

by the way, since i have your attention, do you think this statement is a "dubious factual assertion"? or it's just a matter of fact?

 

"Anyone who argues against Trout is a big dummy head and that's all there is to it."

post #4697 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorman View Post

thank you, sir.   that was my point to start with.  there wasn't a "right" way.

by the way, since i have your attention, do you think this statement is a "dubious factual assertion"? or it's just a matter of fact?

"Anyone who argues against Trout is a big dummy head and that's all there is to it."
Maybe if made by someone else, but ethan is always right.
post #4698 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post


Maybe if made by someone else, but ethan is always right.

post #4699 of 5149
Seems to me aging talent had quite a bit to do with the last 3 WS wins.but if you haven't won since 1987 you'd tend to lose perspective.
Also Hot Stove rumor has it no one wants Puig- not even MIami
post #4700 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

Seems to me aging talent had quite a bit to do with the last 3 WS wins.but if you haven't won since 1987 you'd tend to lose perspective.
Also Hot Stove rumor has it no one wants Puig- not even MIami


oh cmon... i know you're semi trolling, but seriously, you can't say that signing aging talent to huge contracts is a good idea in a vacuum 

post #4701 of 5149
I disagree. Cueto was the third best free agent pitcher, and he has an opt out after 2 yrs, so the Giants should get at least 2 good yrs. from him. Samardjza is more of a gamble but the Giants seem to make those work. They now have as good a starting 3 as the rest of baseball, except for maybe WA or HOU.
post #4702 of 5149
But in a vacuum I agree. And I forgot about the Mets starters. Anyway- encouraging. Giants trying to get it done again this year.
post #4703 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

I disagree. Cueto was the third best free agent pitcher, and he has an opt out after 2 yrs, so the Giants should get at least 2 good yrs. from him. Samardjza is more of a gamble but the Giants seem to make those work. They now have as good a starting 3 as the rest of baseball, except for maybe WA or HOU.

Ah, you took my comment as a critique of the Giants - it wasn't, more of just why the Dodgers didn't want to end up with another Pujols/Howard style deal - if they went after Grienke (who will be 32 in the first year of his contract), Price (who is also aging),among others
Edited by venividivicibj - 12/16/15 at 10:15am
post #4704 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorman View Post

look man. i didn't go to law school. and this is not my graduation thesis either.  it's supposed to be fun. and perhaps you should leave any residual court house mentality at the court house too.

I cannot help myself but post here as an aside… but this comment is all too common and such utter bullshit. It drives me fucking crazy when basic logic is rebutted by people with a lack of coherent reasoning skills with "stop being a lawyer", "don't talk like you're in law school", "I didn't go to law school" etc. It has nothing to do with law school ... Lawyerdad could be Doctordad and what would you say? I didn't go to med school? lol
He'd still be right and you'd still sound like a douche. This is exactly the reason most of the country can't intelligently discuss campaign debates or politics in general. Issue, premise, facts, assumption(s), conclusion, etc… basic logic man.

God help us if you're actually a doctor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

What the fuck is your problem? It's not courthouse mentality, it's logic and discussion.

nod[1].gif yep


So my Reds are apparently in full-on rebuild mode now having traded the Toddfather. You are welcome the rest of the league getting all of our great players that we can no longer afford. Fuck.

And fuck you SF for getting Cueto…. fuuuuuuuuuck yooooooooooou. happy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

Also Hot Stove rumor has it no one wants Puig- not even MIami

I've heard increasingly bad stuff about Puig… like he's not just a dick, but a super-ultra asshole motherfucker teammate. Not sure how much of that is true, but damn the Dodgers are stuck with him in the meantime.
post #4705 of 5149
Holy shit, I forgot the Reds were even still a real team. stirpot.gif
post #4706 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Holy shit, I forgot the Reds were even still a real team. stirpot.gif

Small market suffering man. We do develop some good players, but can never keep them long enough. They were pretty good for a few years there and committed the epic choke of choke jobs against the Giants in 2012. The improbability of losing three straight at home is just so ridiculous … ugh.
post #4707 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post


Small market suffering man. We do develop some good players, but can never keep them long enough. They were pretty good for a few years there and committed the epic choke of choke jobs against the Giants in 2012. The improbability of losing three straight at home is just so ridiculous … ugh.

:nest: It's Jocketty.  His gut-feel style was pushed out of StL for the SABR team of Mo and Luhnow (now of the Astros).  Looking forward to seeing how the new GM works out... and if Jocketty can keep his nose out of it.

 

Sidenote: Mo seems to be the naked emperor since Luhnow left.  Pretty empty hopper of farm talent since Luhnow's last couple classes in StL.  Couple that with his team's inability to land the FA's they're targeting (and just getting out maneuvered by Theo) makes me think if StL was a stock I'd be shorting.  Saying this as a fourth-generation Cards fan...

post #4708 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post
 

I don't have much hope for the Yankees this season. I do like the Warren and Ryan for Castro trade though. 

Castro struck me as being a low-effort, error-prone guy that the Cubs' former management attempted to position as the face of the franchise prior to the drafting and subsequent arrivals of Bryant and Rizzo.  Always seemed part of the plan to trim that branch as Russell came up.  

 

I'm not as familiar with the Yankees' staff... will they get Castro to play at his potential, or will he remain the smartest kid in class that skates by with a B average without studying?

post #4709 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkebh979 View Post
 

Castro struck me as being a low-effort, error-prone guy that the Cubs' former management attempted to position as the face of the franchise prior to the drafting and subsequent arrivals of Bryant and Rizzo.  Always seemed part of the plan to trim that branch as Russell came up.  

 

I'm not as familiar with the Yankees' staff... will they get Castro to play at his potential, or will he remain the smartest kid in class that skates by with a B average without studying?


They seemed to do a good job with Didi Gregorious after the rough start so I'm hopeful. 

post #4710 of 5149
Giants and Cubs 6-1 in vegas. And we know theyre always right
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread