or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB Season Thread - Page 307

post #4591 of 5143

That's a weird thing to say. 

post #4592 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post
 

Are you morons implying that Utley's actions and Tejada's broken leg are not correlated? That Tejada's leg broke by chance and not at all as a result of the way in which Utley slid? 

 

If his leg hadn't broke... well, guess what? It did. 

of course they are... but it's a legal slide. If the MLB is going to suspend every player who does a legal hard slide regardless of injury, then I'm fine with it.

 

But they won't.

post #4593 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 

of course they are... but it's a legal slide. If the MLB is going to suspend every player who does a legal hard slide regardless of injury, then I'm fine with it.

 

But they won't.

seriously. i'd love to be the union rep for utley in this case. i can make a 3-hour movie showing slides similar and worse than his that did not result in a suspension and were ruled legal. 

post #4594 of 5143
Wasn't the illegal slide the reason for the suspension, even though the umpires didn't know or have the ability to change their (incorrect) ruling as to the legality of the slide in real time?
post #4595 of 5143
Dodger fans been waiting since 1987? Or has it been longer...
post #4596 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

I enjoyed watching Kershaw pitch the whole game- but the bottom line is the bottom line. He walked 3 guys in a row, But I think 2 strikes counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

How exactly is Barry Bonds germane to this conversation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

The fact that I'm a Giants fan and a Dodger did the barrel roll (which wouldn't even be legal in the NFL) has (almost) nothing to do with it. (One cannot erase all enmity, no matter how hard one tries.)

If Utley had been playing for the Mets, and the victim a Dodger, my reaction would have been the same,
Well, I think the answer to #1 is that your second statement is being called into question. Only you can know for sure if your reaction would really have been the same if it had been, say, Bumgarner rather than Utley. I don't have really have an opinion on that -- if you say it would have been, I personally can take that at face value. But obviously the point of the comment above was that people might reasonably take your willingness to defend Bonds as evidence that your team preferences can influence your judgment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

Are you morons implying that Utley's actions and Tejada's broken leg are not correlated? That Tejada's leg broke by chance and not at all as a result of the way in which Utley slid? 

If his leg hadn't broke... well, guess what? It did. 

So your point is that if his leg hadn't broken, the slide would be fine? I didn't fine tooth comb every comment, but generally people aren't implying at all that Utley's actions and the broken leg aren't related. The point people are making is that the slide either was or wasn't egregious enough to warrant a suspension, regardless of Tejada's injury. You're smart enough to get that distinction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Mays
post #4597 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorman View Post

seriously. i'd love to be the union rep for utley in this case. i can make a 3-hour movie showing slides similar and worse than his that did not result in a suspension and were ruled legal. 

Yup. Just show every time a Joe Torre run team has had any hard slides (Or speaking of safety, thrown at anyone), and how he defended it post game. Should run well in the news.
Edited by venividivicibj - 10/12/15 at 12:33pm
post #4598 of 5143
Unbelievable. I leave the house for a few minutes, confident that the Astros-Royals game is over. (A four-run lead in the eighth inning is safe 97% of the time.) I come back and the game is tied????
post #4599 of 5143
Texas aint happy today so far sure'nuff pardnah
post #4600 of 5143
Clayton Kershaw pitching tomorrow whether LA wins or loses today.
post #4601 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

Clayton Kershaw pitching tomorrow whether LA wins or loses today.

Well I guess we know the answer to that…. fucking bloodbath.
post #4602 of 5143
Both games today, high scores. Weird.
post #4603 of 5143
Predictably, while I have to give props to reg season Kershaw, I'm hoping the anti-Madbum shows up. devil.gif
post #4604 of 5143
Me too, because Bumgarner hasn't shown up at all this postseason.
post #4605 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Me too, because Bumgarner hasn't shown up at all this postseason.

let's give bumgarner some credit.  he's been showing up at his house regularly this post season...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread