or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB Season Thread - Page 305

post #4561 of 5143
Mets MVP - Mattingly.
post #4562 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Kershaw is better than anyone in bullpen. Even after 100 pitches.

He's 1-6 in the postseason and had just walked 3 straight.

He's the anti-Madbum.

EDIT: Tonight Utley should have been called out and ejected. Maybe the league will grow a pair and fine and suspend him.
post #4563 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post



EDIT: Tonight Utley should have been called out and ejected. Maybe the league will grow a pair and fine and suspend him.

i'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  the only argument that would make any sense is that utley was maybe slightly late with his slide.  his both hands were well within reach of the bag and he was simply playing hard.  it was very unlucky that tejada had his back turned against him which put himself in a defenseless position.  anyone that has ever played baseball or watched enough will know it's not a dirty slide intended to injury tejada. 

 

i'm not sure where the fine or suspension would be based on. were the spikes up? was he "too vicious"? maybe they can all slide gently in the future? we've seen similar hard slides over and over but in most instances, the defensive player had time to see and react.  as utley said after the game, he went for a slide and did not even know tejada had his back turned. 

 

i do think the safe call is a little bogus.  but being a victim of todd helton, the dodgers will take it. 


Edited by doctorman - 10/10/15 at 11:20pm
post #4564 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post


He's 1-6 in the postseason and had just walked 3 straight.

He's the anti-Madbum.

EDIT: Tonight Utley should have been called out and ejected. Maybe the league will grow a pair and fine and suspend him.


Please tell me you aren't using win-loss as the basis for your argument. Also, he had two strikes on all three of those batters. he wasn't walking them on 4 pitches.

 

Try again.

 

 

Re-Utley - why should he have been fined/suspended? (Unless you are willing to do that on all hard slides) You can't have the result (injury) justify the punishment. Classic Goodell mistake.

post #4565 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 


Please tell me you aren't using win-loss as the basis for your argument. Also, he had two strikes on all three of those batters. he wasn't walking them on 4 pitches.

 

Try again.

 

 

Re-Utley - why should he have been fined/suspended? (Unless you are willing to do that on all hard slides) You can't have the result (injury) justify the punishment. Classic Goodell mistake.

well. when barry bonds was loading himself with steroids and crushing homeruns, he should NOT be suspended because everyone else was doing it. but when it comes to a hard slide, whoa, god forbid... 

post #4566 of 5143
It wasn't a hard slide, it was a barrel roll.

I enjoyed watching Kershaw pitch the whole game- but the bottom line is the bottom line. He walked 3 guys in a row, But I think 2 strikes counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

How exactly is Barry Bonds germane to this conversation?
post #4567 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

It wasn't a hard slide, it was a barrel roll.

I enjoyed watching Kershaw pitch the whole game- but the bottom line is the bottom line. He walked 3 guys in a row, But I think 2 strikes counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

How exactly is Barry Bonds germane to this conversation?

 

if you just look at the slide (i was there live and i've seen the replay many times since), every player in this league does it. and all good players are expected to do the same in this situation. you would love to have a player on your team that plays the way utley plays.  so if you're calling a suspension on utley, then you can easily suspend a few players every games. you've clearly been influenced by the tragic result of the slide but not the slide itself.  the slide had no ill intention. 

 

i might have worded my bonds analogy clumsily.  when bonds cheated, giants fans would say: what's the big deal, everyone cheated, don't suspend him/erase his records, since you can't catch all cheaters and it's not fair. 

 

well today chase made a hard slide. it's the same hard slide every other major leaguer makes (should make). why do we all of a sudden get this self-righteousness from, of all people, giants fans, who have been sponsoring the biggest cheat in recent baseball history?  i would expect this from mets fans. but not giants fans. 

 

and if barry bonds made the same slide as utley did, my guess is you would have applauded...


Edited by doctorman - 10/11/15 at 12:20am
post #4568 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorman View Post

i'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  the only argument that would make any sense is that utley was maybe slightly late with his slide.  his both hands were well within reach of the bag and he was simply playing hard.  it was very unlucky that tejada had his back turned against him which put himself in a defenseless position.  anyone that has ever played baseball or watched enough will know it's not a dirty slide intended to injury tejada. 

And had nothing occurred there would be no conversation… but why did it occur? Because every runner going into 2nd is going to hard side in order to break up the DP? No. Everyone does this, Tejada obviously knows this.
Unlucky? Unlucky is when a ball takes a weird bounce off the dirt/grass seam or a ball rolls off a bump up the first base line going foul. He was in that position because he put himself there. You can even see Tejada looking peripherally right, fully aware that hard-charging Utley is barreling right at you. And so what do you do… turn your back attempting some ballerina, twinkle-toe bullshit in a situation that that clearly was not going to happen? We don't need a rule to protect people from being idiots… perhaps Tejada should take a walk down to the ocean, go stand out in the surf and turn around.
post #4569 of 5143
Tejada had the choice to act like a first baseman and to get only one out. He chose to go risky and try to get two outs.
post #4570 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Tejada had the choice to act like a first baseman and to get only one out. He chose to go risky and try to get two outs.


...

 

Utley has a history of dickheaded slides into second. There is no defending him. He should be fined and suspended. 

post #4571 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post


...

Utley has a history of dickheaded slides into second. There is no defending him. He should be fined and suspended. 

Like the North Shore has a history of massive waves. So go on down, stand on the beach and turn around.
post #4572 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post


Like the North Shore has a history of massive waves. So go on down, stand on the beach and turn around.


This is one of the dumbest things you have ever said on this forum. 

 

This guy plays dirty so you should adjust your game to avoid his bush league bullshit. 

 

Here on the Right side of the country we don't give in to terrorism. 

post #4573 of 5143
The fact that I'm a Giants fan and a Dodger did the barrel roll (which wouldn't even be legal in the NFL) has (almost) nothing to do with it. (One cannot erase all enmity, no matter how hard one tries.)

If Utley had been playing for the Mets, and the victim a Dodger, my reaction would have been the same,

And how would you feel if it was Seager with the broken leg?
post #4574 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

The fact that I'm a Giants fan and a Dodger did the barrel roll (which wouldn't even be legal in the NFL) has (almost) nothing to do with it. (One cannot erase all enmity, no matter how hard one tries.)

If Utley had been playing for the Mets, and the victim a Dodger, my reaction would have been the same,

And how would you feel if it was Seager with the broken leg?

 

i would have been devastated if seager broke his leg. no question. but again, if i just look at the slide, it's a hard, major league slide. i would probably shake my head and move on.  

 

like mentioned earlier, as a major league shortstop, tejada should have expected a hard slide.  to miss the bag, spin around and try to be creative for a very difficult play, he put himself in a bad spot.

 

i laugh at the hypocrisy because i never saw you calling for fine/suspensions about any other controversial plays by other players, many of them far more agregious.  but if you did, you'd be complaining every day.  when a dodger player commits a controversial act, you conveniently jump on it.  if you were a mets fan, i would have respected you more.

 

i was sitting next to a few mets fans at the game (both of them were seasoned fans keeping his/her own scores).  they were certainly disappointed but took no issues with the slide. like i've said, you want your players to slide like utley; you just wish utley is on your team.  spikes down, arms well within reach of the bag, no body contact before the slide and no bad intention. 

post #4575 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post
 


...

 

Utley has a history of dickheaded slides into second. There is no defending him. He should be fined and suspended. 

how many times has utley been suspected for unsportsmanlike conduct in his career?

 

and also, just to make it clear. you're describing the slide as dickheaded, which is quite concrete and specific.  was it too hard in your mind?  or was it too fast by your velocity criteria? was he too far off the base?  were his spikes up?  did he make contact with tejada's body before the slide?

 

was he really going for the second base? no. but honestly what percentage of the players sliding to break up a double play is actually going for the base?  


Edited by doctorman - 10/11/15 at 4:27pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread