or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB Season Thread - Page 301

post #4501 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

The demographics are interesting too. I experienced that people in SF looked down on LA for being, well...LA, .

It's mostly an inferiority complex thing, in my opinion. San Francisco used to be much more the state's center of gravity financially, politically, and culturally. Being relegated to the status of a cute little vacation spot that everyone thinks is pretty and a bit quirky is an ego wound SF has never fully recovered from.
post #4502 of 5143
And what's this I hear about the Giants not making the playoffs?!?
post #4503 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

It's mostly an inferiority complex thing, in my opinion. San Francisco used to be much more the state's center of gravity financially, politically, and culturally. Being relegated to the status of a cute little vacation spot that everyone thinks is pretty and a bit quirky is an ego wound SF has never fully recovered from.

Sounds like Toronto and Montreal.
post #4504 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

It's mostly an inferiority complex thing, in my opinion. San Francisco used to be much more the state's center of gravity financially, politically, and culturally. Being relegated to the status of a cute little vacation spot that everyone thinks is pretty and a bit quirky is an ego wound SF has never fully recovered from.

I disagree. The Silicon Valley is very arguably the financial center of the country, and those who live there consider themselves San Francisco Bay Areans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

And what's this I hear about the Giants not making the playoffs?!?

It's an odd year, and we have to give the rest of the league a chance.

Let's see how far the Dodgers go with 2 pitchers. .
post #4505 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post



Let's see how far the Dodgers go with 2 pitchers. .

i'm guessing perhaps a little further than where the giants are going (went)...

post #4506 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorman View Post

i'm guessing perhaps a little further than where the giants are going (went)...

I can send you my World Series T-Shirts for luck.... smile.gif
post #4507 of 5143
Sale breaks CWS 107-year-old season strike out record… that's pretty cool.
post #4508 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

Sale breaks CWS 107-year-old season strike out record… that's pretty cool.

Definitely.

Hard to believe Ryan almost struck out 400.
post #4509 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

Definitely.

Hard to believe Ryan almost struck out 400.

That is crazy. I also heard something the other week after Yogi passed away they were talking about his hitting. He did not strike out often, but there was one year where he had obviously hundreds of at bats and I believe they said he only struck out 12 times the entire season!! What?!? These days dudes strike out 12 times before the weekend series is even over.
post #4510 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post


Definitely.

Hard to believe Ryan almost struck out 400.

to be fair - he also walked over 200 batters one year (the year he struck out 367).  he wasnt really a pitch to contact kind.  this said, still very impressive but context is very important too. 

post #4511 of 5143

Why are the Yankees starting Tanaka in the wild card game? Goddamnit he has been terrible the last month. 

post #4512 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

Why are the Yankees starting Tanaka in the wild card game? Goddamnit he has been terrible the last month. 

Because they don't have anyone better?
post #4513 of 5143
Why are you guys talking about sale getting 270 when Kershaw got 300?

Like we wouldn't talk about the Giants if they came in second, we should talk about the Dodgers because they came in first (again)
post #4514 of 5143
Sale didn't get the opportunity to strike out 100 pitchers
post #4515 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post


Because they don't have anyone better?


CC has been really good most of August and September.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread