or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB Season Thread - Page 257

post #3841 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

availability heuristic. 

Did you learn that from Brad Ausmus?
smile.gif
post #3842 of 5149

This is a fun game... players with more homers than Robinson Canó:

 

Brett Fucking Gardner

 

post #3843 of 5149
Miggy has just been on a tear lately.
Edited by bdeuce22 - 5/14/14 at 4:07am
post #3844 of 5149
Last night's Tigers v Orioles game was out of a movie script. Going into the 9th, Baltimore led 1-0. Throughout the game, there was outstanding pitching on both sides. Then, in the 9th, the Tigers miracle happened: a stolen base, a walk, and two back to back HRs. The perfect ending.

It is only mid May, but it seems as if the Tigers have had more stolen bases than in the past ten years. I expect to see an attempt every game, now.

Verlander on the mound, today, going for the sweep.

As Leyland said on Saturday, "What's there to complain about?"
post #3845 of 5149
^ they have 3 less SBs 1.5 months into the season than they had all of last year.
post #3846 of 5149
Went to the subway series last night...yikes

Great times with friends tho

Yankees better win tonight
post #3847 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post

Last night's Tigers v Orioles game was out of a movie script. Going into the 9th, Baltimore led 1-0. Throughout the game, there was outstanding pitching on both sides. Then, in the 9th, the Tigers miracle happened: a stolen base, a walk, and two back to back HRs. The perfect ending.

It is only mid May, but it seems as if the Tigers have had more stolen bases than in the past ten years. I expect to see an attempt every game, now.

Verlander on the mound, today, going for the sweep.

As Leyland said on Saturday, "What's there to complain about?"

The game sucked balls. (mostly because I am an O's fan)

O's situational hitting has been shit all year; last night was no exception. 7 men left on base, including several legit scoring opportunities with guys on 2B with less than 2 outs. O's 0-7 with RISP last night. Abysmal.

Situational pitching was also dumb. Baltimore homers are all lamenting the overturned SB call in the 9th, but the runner should not have even been on. Hunter is grooving 96mph fastballs low and away and they have a ridiculous shift going. Predictably, a pussycat grounder hit as weakly as you can hit a ball falls to a completely empty left side of the infield. Showalter loves the shift; I think I read he uses it more than most other managers. I don't have a problem with it, but you do have to pitch to it. Maybe it was the catcher's fault, poor guy is a career minor leaguer who got his first MLB hit last night. He did have himself a game though, throwing out 3 runners, and 4 until review overturned the last one. That "hit" rattled Hunter; had him nibbling the rest of the game.

We'd better not see any more of him in the 9th. He's been absolutely lousy. 2 blown saves in 2 days is one thing, and I guess everyone's on the bandwagon now, but he has not had a clean inning all year. Not one. 16 appearances, zero 3-up 3-down innings. Zero. His WHIP is 1.87. I actually sort of like the guy, and I think he could have closer stuff at some point, but that point is not now. Even his outs are drilled - the second out in the 9th last night, when theoretically we still had a chance, was absolutely ripped, just right at Adam Jones.

I don't like the O's chances today either. Kevin Gausman needs a cutter, unless he can learn to spot his fastball perfectly and really owns his breaking pitches. His ball is just so flat, even though it's hard. (this is kind of Hunter's problem too.)

UGH I can't believe I watched that whole game. I spent the whole night thinking "Fuck you guys better capitalize on one of these RISP opportunities because Hunter can't hold a one-run lead, please don't turn this over to Hunter with a one-run lead." Then I was thinking (when Joseph threw out another runner in the 7th) "That's huge, as long as Hunter doesn't give up a few hits he won't have to face Cabrera, please don't let Hunter face Cabrera." Then along comes the ninth, and fuck, it is a one run lead, and fuck, he does have to face Cabrera, and fuck, fuck fuck fuck fuck.

If it was like a movie, it was like a highly predictable slasher film where they keep some little fucking hot tart whore alive til the last scene when you know that Jason is just going to do filthy things to her.
post #3848 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

The game sucked balls. (mostly because I am an O's fan)

O's situational hitting has been shit all year; last night was no exception. 7 men left on base, including several legit scoring opportunities with guys on 2B with less than 2 outs. O's 0-7 with RISP last night. Abysmal.

Situational pitching was also dumb. Baltimore homers are all lamenting the overturned SB call in the 9th, but the runner should not have even been on. Hunter is grooving 96mph fastballs low and away and they have a ridiculous shift going. Predictably, a pussycat grounder hit as weakly as you can hit a ball falls to a completely empty left side of the infield. Showalter loves the shift; I think I read he uses it more than most other managers. I don't have a problem with it, but you do have to pitch to it. Maybe it was the catcher's fault, poor guy is a career minor leaguer who got his first MLB hit last night. He did have himself a game though, throwing out 3 runners, and 4 until review overturned the last one. That "hit" rattled Hunter; had him nibbling the rest of the game.

We'd better not see any more of him in the 9th. He's been absolutely lousy. 2 blown saves in 2 days is one thing, and I guess everyone's on the bandwagon now, but he has not had a clean inning all year. Not one. 16 appearances, zero 3-up 3-down innings. Zero. His WHIP is 1.87. I actually sort of like the guy, and I think he could have closer stuff at some point, but that point is not now. Even his outs are drilled - the second out in the 9th last night, when theoretically we still had a chance, was absolutely ripped, just right at Adam Jones.

I don't like the O's chances today either. Kevin Gausman needs a cutter, unless he can learn to spot his fastball perfectly and really owns his breaking pitches. His ball is just so flat, even though it's hard. (this is kind of Hunter's problem too.)

UGH I can't believe I watched that whole game. I spent the whole night thinking "Fuck you guys better capitalize on one of these RISP opportunities because Hunter can't hold a one-run lead, please don't turn this over to Hunter with a one-run lead." Then I was thinking (when Joseph threw out another runner in the 7th) "That's huge, as long as Hunter doesn't give up a few hits he won't have to face Cabrera, please don't let Hunter face Cabrera." Then along comes the ninth, and fuck, it is a one run lead, and fuck, he does have to face Cabrera, and fuck, fuck fuck fuck fuck.

If it was like a movie, it was like a highly predictable slasher film where they keep some little fucking hot tart whore alive til the last scene when you know that Jason is just going to do filthy things to her.

Hey, I like your movie, too!

And, the Tigers leave Baltimore with a sweep. On to Bahston and the Monstah.

During the broadcast, it was pointed out that the Central Division record against the Eastern Division is something like 28-14. So much for the Central being so weak.
post #3849 of 5149
A lot of tension in the O's/ Tigers series..I caught the 5th inning where Verlander gave up 5 ER with 2 outs
post #3850 of 5149
Solarte leads the league in batting average smile.gif
post #3851 of 5149
Tanaka..wow
post #3852 of 5149

Players with 4 time as many home runs as Canó....

 

Yangervis Solarte. 

post #3853 of 5149
Tanaka is a man.
post #3854 of 5149
Going to one of the rangers games next week. My 60 year old dad is so excited to boo prince fielder.
post #3855 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo14 View Post

A lot of tension in the O's/ Tigers series..I caught the 5th inning where Verlander gave up 5 ER with 2 outs

I'm an O's fan, but I thought Ausmus' reaction to Verlander throwing behind Cruz was good.
Quote:
As skilled as these pitchers are at this level, balls get away from pitchers sometimes, just like I'm sure the ball got away from Bud Norris.

I'm still not convinced Hunter was intentionally plunked, but I can certainly see why Hunter would have thought so, and if throwing behind Cruz settles the score, then it's a fine resolution all around. It's baseball, and nobody got hurt.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread