or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB Season Thread - Page 222

post #3316 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

My take is that the Cards have better pitching and the Red Sox are at a disadvantage in St. Louis. If the Sox play Ortiz at first to keep his bat they lose a superior 1b in Napoli. Conversely, if they play Napoli they lose Ortiz's superior bat.

Wasn't Napoli a catcher. Could Napoli catch or are his knees all busted.
post #3317 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i cant decide who i think will win. i think it will be a good series. i certainly hope so anyways.
aw man, he is a mainstay of MLB. ill miss him. but, he is an old dude, and he deserves to to retire. did he mention if he plans on being involved with MLB in any capacity, or is stepping away completely?

He is going to have a role in the tigers. What that entails is undetermined.
post #3318 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post


Wasn't Napoli a catcher. Could Napoli catch or are his knees all busted.

 

He has a degenerative hip condition called avascular necrosis. I suppose he could catch but he would not be better than Salty and it would be against doctor's orders.

post #3319 of 5143
I was always a huge fan of Jim Leyland. I think the advanced analytics integrated style of managing from other teams he faced eventually caught up to him though. There are old school managers who have actually integrated the analytics l.e. buck showalter (boarders on being avant-garde managing with analytics recently - i.e. uses the shift field positions even for right handed batters a LOT).

but deadspin posted this clip of him being a boss. and putting even Barry Bonds in his place shows how good he was at managing players personalities in the clubhouse (something that analytics can't do).
post #3320 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

My take is that the Cards have better pitching and the Red Sox are at a disadvantage in St. Louis. If the Sox play Ortiz at first to keep his bat they lose a superior 1b in Napoli. Conversely, if they play Napoli they lose Ortiz's superior bat.

my gut tells me st louis, but i dont know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post

He is going to have a role in the tigers. What that entails is undetermined.

that is good to hear. thanks for the info.
post #3321 of 5143
It looked like Scherzer had strike 3 on Bogaerts. It would have been a very different game if he was punched out.
post #3322 of 5143
Jim Leyland.
God bless him!
Like all managers, he made some questionable decisions. But, his good judgments far, far, outweighed his mistakes.
A class act to the end.
The players loved him.
Go, Tigers.
post #3323 of 5143
Time to welcome in the Gene Lamont era? crackup[1].gif
post #3324 of 5143

I hope for your guys' sake that they hire someone who is willing to steal bags. How horribly boring it is to depend solely on hits.

post #3325 of 5143
"I made my mistakes. I probably was a little grumpy. I think I did my job. I was there for you and you were there for me."

Pretty much sums up his carrer with the Tigers.

Also said he told Dombrowski Sept 8 he was done. He told Lamont (best friend and bench coach) and LaRussa. Dombrowski said LaRussa and he had a discussion about managing and isn't interested. He wants to stay retired.

It also came out Cabrera has a Grade 3 groin year that'll likely require surgery. Probably why he wasn't placed on the DL but who knows when it got to that point.
post #3326 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post

"I made my mistakes. I probably was a little grumpy. I think I did my job. I was there for you and you were there for me."

Pretty much sums up his carrer with the Tigers.

Also said he told Dombrowski Sept 8 he was done. He told Lamont (best friend and bench coach) and LaRussa. Dombrowski said LaRussa and he had a discussion about managing and isn't interested. He wants to stay retired.

It also came out Cabrera has a Grade 3 groin year that'll likely require surgery. Probably why he wasn't placed on the DL but who knows when it got to that point.

It was Sept 7. The day of the Michigan / ND game. Maybe he wants to see more football! He was in Ann Arbor for the first "under the lights" game in 2010.
post #3327 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

I hope for your guys' sake that they hire someone who is willing to steal bags. How horribly boring it is to depend solely on hits.

Leyland had to work with what he was given. I'll bet that "Bob's your uncle" that, down deep, Leyland wondered why the owner spent so much money on Fielder. Leyland, the professional, played the cards he was dealt.
post #3328 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

Time to welcome in the Gene Lamont era? crackup[1].gif

It won't be Gene. But, outside of Detroit, he enjoys a good reputation. After all, he was a finalist for the Red Sox job.
post #3329 of 5143
Don Kelly is a goner too. No doubt about that.
post #3330 of 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post

Don Kelly is a goner too. No doubt about that.

 

I would like to see Don Kelly in pinstripes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread