or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB Season Thread - Page 80

post #1186 of 5149
Nice outing from Verlander last night. He did well to work out of some trouble spots and work through without being on top of his game. The Berry error happened at a really rough time. They're creeping up on .500 and are only two games back from first.
post #1187 of 5149
Porcello had a decent outing, last night. And all we got was one stinking run. Grrrrr....
post #1188 of 5149
I saw Jacob Turner's debut this afternoon. He shows good form--doesn't get rattled. A very good first outing. Click pick for a larger view. It was appropriate that Quintin Berry hit in the winning run. He plays with such joy.

197


Temp was 95 degrees. Capacity crowd in the friendly confines of Comerica Park. Love the sign on the building: "Outsource to Detroit".

127
Edited by clarinetplayer - 6/21/12 at 4:23pm
post #1189 of 5149
We ought to call this the Tigers thread...

At least you guys are much more enjoyable than those in the Lakers thread aka NBA Basketball 2012...
post #1190 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

We ought to call this the Tigers thread...
At least you guys are much more enjoyable than those in the Lakers thread aka NBA Basketball 2012...

the yankee fans were actually more present when their team was losing last year (and years past). this year its crickets.

and well boston sucks this year... but I still have a feeling the sawx are going to pull off one of those 10 game winning streaks and sneak into the wild card and lose in the first round.
post #1191 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

the yankee fans were actually more present when their team was losing last year (and years past). this year its crickets.
and well boston sucks this year... but I still have a feeling the sawx are going to pull off one of those 10 game winning streaks and sneak into the wild card and lose in the first round.

Can't believe how Valentine treated Youk. He's a great commentator, but an awful manager. This actually surprises me.
post #1192 of 5149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

the yankee fans were actually more present when their team was losing last year (and years past). this year its crickets.
and well boston sucks this year... but I still have a feeling the sawx are going to pull off one of those 10 game winning streaks and sneak into the wild card and lose in the first round.

I know its popular to say a season's done in May but come one dude, they're 5.5 out of first in the AL East and 2 out of a wild card...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

Can't believe how Valentine treated Youk. He's a great commentator, but an awful manager. This actually surprises me.

Trading Youk shows the front office wants to keep Bobby for the longhaul, I believe. Which means it could be a long few years for Boston fans... Just looking briefly at the WAR values from Fan Graphs, Chicago won this trade by a mile, but its still a small sample size.
post #1193 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

Can't believe how Valentine treated Youk. He's a great commentator, but an awful manager. This actually surprises me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

I know its popular to say a season's done in May but come one dude, they're 5.5 out of first in the AL East and 2 out of a wild card...
Trading Youk shows the front office wants to keep Bobby for the longhaul, I believe. Which means it could be a long few years for Boston fans... Just looking briefly at the WAR values from Fan Graphs, Chicago won this trade by a mile, but its still a small sample size.

I'm just saying they suck right now. I have full confidence they'll make a run and then be promptly exited from an early round of the playoffs.ffffuuuu.gif

as for trading Youk? It sucks for my wife and I - because he's the last guy from the old 2004 and 2007 teams, and along with J.D. Drew. the way my wife finally found baseball interesting (because of the statistics involved in it - she's an economics major and wondered why so many economics background guys were in front offices).

the wife got me a really cool present back in 2007 - a redsox destination package where you get tickets for a whole series, tour the field, and have a lunch with meet and greet with a player.

our meet and greet was with Youk. The guy was huge - like 6-2 and shaped like a barrel with two legs. he was amazed at how half the people in the room were from other countries like namibia, argentina, bermuda, and thailand.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
7439418464_65ac7b249e_z.jpg

7439418882_c17e19105e_z.jpg

7439418626_8b64dff191_z.jpg

the inside of the green monster is pretty cool with signatures from players and concert performers (like bruce springsteen) inside
post #1194 of 5149
Thread Starter 
I see how you roll. You and your wife are deserving of privacy in the pics but Youk isn't? Classy move there, Larry.
post #1195 of 5149
Thread Starter 
Also, you down for a meatup in NYC tomorrow?
post #1196 of 5149
A miracle! Tigers down the Rangers 8-2. Maybe that 100 degree, humid air down in Texas helps the bats. Porcello was impressive.
post #1197 of 5149
If they can split the next six on the road they'll be in good shape with the Twins and Royals coming to Detroit. Hopefully those two series are what will get them over the hump.
post #1198 of 5149
The pitching has held up well over the last week or so. Something around 1.90 ERA over the last 60 innings isn't too shabby. They just need to hit more consistently. Cabrera has quietly crept up on Hamilton in the RBI race.
post #1199 of 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post

A miracle! Tigers down the Rangers 8-2. Maybe that 100 degree, humid air down in Texas helps the bats. Porcello was impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post

The pitching has held up well over the last week or so. Something around 1.90 ERA over the last 60 innings isn't too shabby. They just need to hit more consistently. Cabrera has quietly crept up on Hamilton in the RBI race.

Where was last night's much needed offense when we played the Rangers last fall? baldy[1].gif

Hopefully we can make up some ground in the division now that inter-league play is over.
post #1200 of 5149
Ugh! Smyly's wild pitching cost the game. I was hoping that the Tigers could be a .500 team by the All Star break. I am resigned to thinking that if we can get 5 runs a game, which we did, a good effort would have been made. The Rangers' Darvish is fine pitcher. Avila seemed to come alive last night. Great defense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › 2016 MLB Season Thread