or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2014 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 MLB Season Thread - Page 204

post #3046 of 4040

Uehara has now put down his last 31 batters. Mark Buehrle holds the record with 45. Another good one, Alfonso Soriano has 7 multi-HR games this season (4 with the Yankees), nobody else has more than 4.

post #3047 of 4040
confused.gif

Did you, or did you not, essentially brag that your manager could beat up another manager, after dozens of posts accusing Chris Davis of juicing... and dragging up a twenty one year old incident as some kind of character witness, and I'm the dick?

Please.
post #3048 of 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

Uehara has now put down his last 31 batters.

I'm happier for buchholz... 74 pitches (80pitch limit tonight) and was still awesome.

the spitball was fucking breaking all over the place. tongue.gif

i'm liking the sox pitching going into the playoffs. its all about powerarms in the playoffs (especially in middle relief) so they have tazawa (even hittable power arms become nolan ryan in october) and a couple others (like the rookie De La Rosa).

Buchholz/Lester/lackey/peavy is pretty good for a 7 game series. random power arm-ed middle relief, then uehara (who uses a glove so large it can fit his whole head inside) to close.

pretty good.
post #3049 of 4040
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

the spitball was fucking breaking all over the place. tongue.gif

 

Will check the graphs in the morning for that nasty 95 mph 2 seamer he threw a few times against Toronto!

post #3050 of 4040
Porcello pitches his first complete MLB game at Cellular Field in Chicago. A much needed win for the Tigers. At the end of the game, it seemed as if only the Tiger fans remained. Also, good news: Cleveland lost.
post #3051 of 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post

Porcello pitches his first complete MLB game at Cellular Field in Chicago. A much needed win for the Tigers. At the end of the game, it seemed as if only the Tiger fans remained. Also, good news: Cleveland lost.

Magic number 13.
post #3052 of 4040

Looks like Clay didn't need (have?) his two seamer last night. Velocity is down but I suspect that will return in his next few starts.

 

Last night. You can see that his movement was not super great. A couple of nice rising fastballs and the changeup looks good. I didn't watch the game but I imagine that's where a lot of his outs were made.

 

 

Velocity was down significantly across the board with a couple of bad cutters, were these hit?

 

 

Compared with the infamous game against the Jays. Movement on the two seamer was really good. The change was a bit worse but also faster.

 

 

This is where you can really see the pitches that set off Jack Morris. Those two seamers clustered around -9.5 and 95 were unreal pitches. It looks like he threw some pretty bad cutters here as well.

 

post #3053 of 4040
The magic number for the Tigers is 11.
I'm glad that we have the next 7 games at home.
post #3054 of 4040
Yankees are 1 game back. Never so much have I wanted to see the Red Sox win tonight...
post #3055 of 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

Yankees are 1 game back. Never so much have I wanted to see the Red Sox win tonight...

yeah I was channel switching between YES and ESPN (that had the sawx game on) and was so conflicted on what to happen. it really is the best case scenario because I'm "happy" if the sox win or lose.

two things that always have annoyed the shit out of me about the dynasty yankee original four players:

- mariano always gets that 5 inch off the plate call (outside or inside).
- and the andy pettite semi-balk pick off throw to first

those two were so on display last night laugh.gif
post #3056 of 4040

The biggest annoying thing about the Core 4 is that Derek Jeter has never been a very good shortstop. I wish they had moved him to 3b when Arod came in.

post #3057 of 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

The biggest annoying thing about the Core 4 is that Derek Jeter has never been a very good shortstop. I wish they had moved him to 3b when Arod came in.

did you read the grantland article about his defense?

The Tragedy of Derek Jeter's Defense

^its basically a breakdown of jeter's defense (early to late career) using actual analytics/video/ect. Of course its the dirty secret that so many deny but it shows how jeter is a subpar defender (actually I'm being kind, jeter is/was/always will be one of the leagues worst defensive SS). In defense of jeter he actually listened to the criticisms and eventually (far too late in his career sadly) started to practice proper fielding to improve his defense.

i remember you guys being annoyed about the RBI, but probably more annoying is a jeter defender use his multiple "Gold GLove" awards as proof of jeter's defensive prowess.
post #3058 of 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

did you read the grantland article about his defense?

The Tragedy of Derek Jeter's Defense

^its basically a breakdown of jeter's defense (early to late career) using actual analytics/video/ect. Of course its the dirty secret that so many deny but it shows how jeter is a subpar defender (actually I'm being kind, jeter is/was/always will be one of the leagues worst defensive SS). In defense of jeter he actually listened to the criticisms and eventually (far too late in his career sadly) started to practice proper fielding to improve his defense.

i remember you guys being annoyed about the RBI, but probably more annoying is a jeter defender use his multiple "Gold GLove" awards as proof of jeter's defensive prowess.

I read that. Interesting article with some fun illustrative gifs.
Did you recommend it earlier in the thread, Doc? If so thanks, because that's probably how I came to read it.
post #3059 of 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I read that. Interesting article with some fun illustrative gifs.
Did you recommend it earlier in the thread, Doc? If so thanks, because that's probably how I came to read it.

I can't remember. I actually like jeter and despite what analytics say he's always been a huge redsox killer.

wait did I say I like jeter? fuck that I've always hated jeter!

another thing I hate about jeter? the way he dives across the plate. naturally this results in more Hit By Pitches.

of course, when jeter gets hit during a yankee redsox game it means that "the redsox are out to get him!!!" but his past managers Torre/Girardi totally know that diving across the plate will result in being hit by a pitch (especially a totally legal inside pitch) so they never retaliated. this would enrage Michael Kay (of the Yes network) and numerous yankee fans who feel that Jeters being hit too much on purpose. facepalm.gif
post #3060 of 4040

A Red Sox fan complaining about Jeter baiting HBP? Cough Kevin Youkilis cough.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2014 MLB Season Thread