or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2014 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 MLB Season Thread - Page 181

post #2701 of 3768
It's not like Chris Davis has come out of nowhere. He was always regarded as a power prospect, hitting 17 and 21 HRs in his first two seasons (with limited ABs) before struggling to find ABs in his next couple of years on a stacked Texas team. Arriving in Baltimore last year and getting his first full season of 400+ ABs he hit 33 HRs. Now he's 27, the typical breakout year for baseball players, and he's on a tear. I don't think anyone expected this big a year, but 40 HRs has always been within his ceiling. Baseball probably will always have a steroid cloud over it, but there's no more reason to suspect Davis than anyone else in the league.

The truth is Yankee fans are just miserable people.
post #2702 of 3768
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post

Today's Detroit Free Press had an interview with '68 Tiger pitchers, Denny McClain and Mickey Lolich:
So how would those two Tigers greats pitch to the best hitter in the game today, Miguel Cabrera?

“I’d knock him on his ass,” McLain said. “That’s first. I would show him that he does not own the inside part of the plate, that’s No. 1. And then I would throw nothing but one fastball after another and let him try to hit it. But fastballs in, because if you extend it, you extend the fastball outside of the inside part of the plate, he’s probably going to hit it somewhere.

“I don’t want him hitting the ball up the middle. Not if I’m pitching.”

And Lolich would heed the advice of former pitching coach Johnny Sain — two of the first three pitches strikes — but wouldn’t dare throw last year’s Triple Crown winner a first-pitch fastball.

“Why anybody’d throw a first-pitch fastball to Miguel Cabrera is stupid,” Lolich said. “He’ll hit it 9,000 feet. I wouldn’t throw him a fastball on the first pitch."


I loved this!

Cabrera hit a HR off Miguel Gonzalez the other night that was 5 inches inside the plate.
post #2703 of 3768
He hits them anywhere within a foot of the plate

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/miguel-cabreras-ridiculousplate-coverage/
post #2704 of 3768
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post

He hits them anywhere within a foot of the plate

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/miguel-cabreras-ridiculousplate-coverage/

Ha, I remember watching Vlad Guerrero when he was with the Angels. He would swing at the most ridiculous pitches and crush them.
post #2705 of 3768
it's too bad he couldn't stop the O's from taking 2 of 3 from the Tigers!

That Friday night game when they came back off Valverde was one of the awesomest games I've seen.

post #2706 of 3768
45 years ago, Denny McClain had the cockiest attitude in baseball, and he hasn't changed a bit in all this time. His life, after baseball, has been one tragic moment after another. A true rascal.
Edited by clarinetplayer - 6/5/13 at 3:31am
post #2707 of 3768
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

That makes it not cheating?

You're a lawyer and know better than I but isn't a matter like this merely HEARSAY without PROOF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post

Today's Detroit Free Press had an interview with '68 Tiger pitchers, Denny McClain and Mickey Lolich:
So how would those two Tigers greats pitch to the best hitter in the game today, Miguel Cabrera?

“I’d knock him on his ass,” McLain said. “That’s first. I would show him that he does not own the inside part of the plate, that’s No. 1. And then I would throw nothing but one fastball after another and let him try to hit it. But fastballs in, because if you extend it, you extend the fastball outside of the inside part of the plate, he’s probably going to hit it somewhere.

“I don’t want him hitting the ball up the middle. Not if I’m pitching.”

And Lolich would heed the advice of former pitching coach Johnny Sain — two of the first three pitches strikes — but wouldn’t dare throw last year’s Triple Crown winner a first-pitch fastball.

“Why anybody’d throw a first-pitch fastball to Miguel Cabrera is stupid,” Lolich said. “He’ll hit it 9,000 feet. I wouldn’t throw him a fastball on the first pitch."


I loved this!

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

It's not like Chris Davis has come out of nowhere. He was always regarded as a power prospect, hitting 17 and 21 HRs in his first two seasons (with limited ABs) before struggling to find ABs in his next couple of years on a stacked Texas team. Arriving in Baltimore last year and getting his first full season of 400+ ABs he hit 33 HRs. Now he's 27, the typical breakout year for baseball players, and he's on a tear. I don't think anyone expected this big a year, but 40 HRs has always been within his ceiling. Baseball probably will always have a steroid cloud over it, but there's no more reason to suspect Davis than anyone else in the league.

The truth is Yankee fans are just miserable people.

And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post

45 years ago, Denny McClain had the cockiest attitude in baseball, and he hasn't changed a bit in all this time. His life, after baseball, has been one tragic moment after another. A true character.

My first year truly to become conscious of baseball. Sorta remember Yaz and (especially) Gibson from the year before. Between Gibson and McClain a couple of incredible years.

I wish I could stay up on it like you guys do...
post #2708 of 3768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

You're a lawyer and know better than I but isn't a matter like this merely HEARSAY without PROOF.

You're basically, right, although in strictly speaking, in law-talking terms it's not merely hearsay (which has a technical meaning that's specific to the judicial process) . But it might be fair to characterize it as speculation or innuendo, neither of which are generally considered acceptable forms of proof. But the process of drawing (or urging others to draw) a reasonable conclusion from the available circumstantial evidence (even in the absence of any direct evidence) is certainly acceptable.

But that's really a different point than I was making (to the extent I was making one at all). Whether or not you're cheating (or selling crack, or stealing money from the collection plate, or whatever) is a completely separate question from whether you've been caught and/or whether sufficient evidence exists to convict you beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact that he hasn't been caught might be due to the fact that he's not cheating, or it might be due to the fact that he hasn't been caught even though he is cheating.
post #2709 of 3768
Where's our New Jersey friend now that ARod is facing a 100 game suspension and Chris Davis is not???
post #2710 of 3768
Puig!!!!!
post #2711 of 3768
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

You're basically, right, although in strictly speaking, in law-talking terms it's not merely hearsay (which has a technical meaning that's specific to the judicial process) . But it might be fair to characterize it as speculation or innuendo, neither of which are generally considered acceptable forms of proof. But the process of drawing (or urging others to draw) a reasonable conclusion from the available circumstantial evidence (even in the absence of any direct evidence) is certainly acceptable.

But that's really a different point than I was making (to the extent I was making one at all). Whether or not you're cheating (or selling crack, or stealing money from the collection plate, or whatever) is a completely separate question from whether you've been caught and/or whether sufficient evidence exists to convict you beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact that he hasn't been caught might be due to the fact that he's not cheating, or it might be due to the fact that he hasn't been caught even though he is cheating.

You're a lawyer?
post #2712 of 3768
Does that cover his DL time? Without pay? Is MLB re-testing Braun?
post #2713 of 3768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Where's our New Jersey friend now that ARod is facing a 100 game suspension and Chris Davis is not???

A-Rod isn't the only player affected by the Bio-Genesis scandal. Also he and several others have been linked to PED's before.

It usually takes quite a while before someone who gets hot to come under more scrutiny or eventually screws up and gets flagged for PED's anyways.
post #2714 of 3768
Ah, look, all the Yankee fans are coming out now.
post #2715 of 3768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Ah, look, all the Yankee fans are coming out now.

I quickly read over the list... (and noticed no Red Sox players on it) and was like: GOOD JOB MLB! KEEP IT UP AND CLEAN UP THIS SPORT! lol8[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2014 MLB Season Thread