or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2014 MLB Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 MLB Season Thread - Page 134

post #1996 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Momentum, B. Momentum.

This. Also the Giants FEEL more like a team to me compared to the Tigers.
post #1997 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Momentum, B. Momentum.

This. Also the Giants FEEL more like a team to me compared to the Tigers.

Melky Cabrera was suspended for 50 (?) games and ended up NOT addressing the team when he left. Now, Cabrera is someone that any team, based on his skill and talent level, would love to have but the Giants did not put him back on the roster because of how he left his team. I respect the management a lot for that. My glasses are a little black and orange-tinted but their intimacy, quirkiness, and the overall way they behave with each other makes it look like they have a lot of genuine fun around each other.
post #1998 of 3983
Doug Fister 3.45 10-10 137Ks 1.19 .249
Madison Bumgarner 3.37 16-11 191Ks 1.11 .234

Only the ERAs and BAAs are close.
post #1999 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

Melky Cabrera was suspended for 50 (?) games and ended up NOT addressing the team when he left. Now, Cabrera is someone that any team, based on his skill and talent level, would love to have but the Giants did not put him back on the roster because of how he left his team. I respect the management a lot for that. My glasses are a little black and orange-tinted but their intimacy, quirkiness, and the overall way they behave with each other makes it look like they have a lot of genuine fun around each other.

I wasn't aware he hadn't spoken to the team before he left.

I wouldn't put him back on either.
post #2000 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

Doug Fister 3.45 10-10 137Ks 1.19 .249
Madison Bumgarner 3.37 16-11 191Ks 1.11 .234
Only the ERAs and BAAs are close.


Check the last couple months and the playoffs. Fister is better than his numbers show. He was also out for about 2 months and at one point had the worst run support in the AL
post #2001 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

This. Also the Giants FEEL more like a team to me compared to the Tigers.

Isn't this an unfounded, subjective statement?

Sure, the Giants are very visible in their dugout fun. Nothing wrong with that!

But, if you were to observe the Tigers on a daily basis, you'd see much brotherly love and concern for each other. And, the Tigers have their moments of silliness, too. (The Miggy/Prince "handshake", for example.)

The tone of this team takes its cue from the manager who is thought of, more, as a father figure than a manager. Leyland, for all his stubbornness and head scratching decisions--of which we will see, again, tonight, is low key with the players. He is not a "rah-rah" guy. And for this reason, he is revered by his players. Many of the players, in their interviews with the press, always bring up the family atmosphere of this ball club.

The "feel" of a team can be external and internal. Don't sell the Tigers short on this quality.
post #2002 of 3983
the following random thought just popped into my head.

final score game 2, tigers 3, giants 1.

im sure ill be wrong, but it came to me for no apparent reason, so i am documenting it just in case.
post #2003 of 3983
Dirks benched again......for Delmon! Ack!
post #2004 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post

But, if you were to observe the Tigers on a daily basis, you'd see much brotherly love and concern for each other. And, the Tigers have their moments of silliness, too. (The Miggy/Prince "handshake", for example.)


This made me think of Verlander lighting Don Kelly's sock on fire. That is my second favorite dugout shenanigans after all instances of Beltre getting his head rubbed.

post #2005 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post


This made me think of Verlander lighting Don Kelly's sock on fire. That is my second favorite dugout shenanigans after all instances of Beltre getting his head rubbed.


I love that one.
post #2006 of 3983
wow, that sucked. great play by posey though.
post #2007 of 3983
ouch! that had to hurt. right on the head. wonder what the ball speed was.
post #2008 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

ouch! that had to hurt. right on the head. wonder what the ball speed was.

What a trooper!
post #2009 of 3983
He's in SF, balls to the face are par for the course!
post #2010 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

ouch! that had to hurt. right on the head. wonder what the ball speed was.

What a trooper!

+1 I'd be in the hospital right now and would be out of work for the next week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2014 MLB Season Thread