or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2012 College Football Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 College Football Thread - Page 88

Poll Results: ?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 4% (2)
    F
  • 4% (2)
    L
  • 4% (2)
    O
  • 4% (2)
    R
  • 4% (2)
    I
  • 8% (4)
    D
  • 8% (4)
    A!
  • 4% (2)
    S
  • 4% (2)
    T
  • 4% (2)
    A
  • 4% (2)
    T
  • 4% (2)
    E!
  • 6% (3)
    FLORIDA STATE!
  • 4% (2)
    FLORIDA STATE!
  • 4% (2)
    FLORIDA STATE!
  • 8% (4)
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • 2% (1)
    LET'S
  • 8% (4)
    GO
  • 2% (1)
    PANTHERS!
45 Total Votes  
post #1306 of 1322
Thread Starter 
GEORGIA STATE IS FIRST IN USA TODAY's RANKINGS!
GEORGIA STATE IS FIRST IN USA TODAY's RANKINGS!
GEORGIA STATE IS FIRST IN USA TODAY's RANKINGS!
GEORGIA STATE IS FIRST IN USA TODAY's RANKINGS!

That's right--you heard it correct--GEORGIA STATE IS FIRST IN USA TODAY's RANKINGS!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/05/06/georgia-state-college-football-countdown-2013-preview-trent-miles/2138725/11
post #1307 of 1322
laugh.gif

They're pimping GSU football so hard in Atlanta. Seriously, I see more GSU advertising than Tech. It's partially due to proximity (I spend more time near to GSU than Tech), but it's still kind of funny to see them basically begging for fans.
post #1308 of 1322
Thread Starter 
Its better than Tech which has stopped begging its students to be fans...
post #1309 of 1322
Thread Starter 
Also, I jsut want to point out as well that Kennesaw State is getting a football team in 2014 and some of my KSU friends are stoked about it, they're convinced they won't suffer the same fate as GSU (a three-year old program whose future is apparently already set in stone...) and I'm like, you do realize that for your marquee sports team, you don't even come close to cracking 1000 average spectators a game...
post #1310 of 1322
So this is an interesting issue. A kid signed an LOI to FSU, but now he's changed his mind and wants out so he can go to either UGA or USC.

There's a part of me that is excited about the fact that UGA may be in the running for a top-10 recruit from the last class, but I'm not so certain I want a kid who clearly has some real questions regarding his character. UGA has had enough trouble with entitled, prima donna-type "stars," and a kid thinking he can just change his decision after signing with a school just screams "potential problem child" to me.

Beyond that, I also think there's a philosophical question as to whether FSU should release him. I mean, it's one thing when these guys waver on verbal commitments, but LOIs are supposed to be the end of the story. I don't want to get all "slippery slope" and act like letting one kid out of his LOI will lead to the letters becoming valueless, but I do think it kind of undermines the entire reason they exist.

Either way, what a mess for FSU. Their options basically boil down to either losing the guy who may be their best incoming freshman or trying to force him to stay, thus bringing in a kid who really doesn't want to be there.
Quote:
http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/may/06/fsu-signee-wants-release-sign-uga-or-usc/

One of the nation’s top 10 college football signees wants a release from Florida State so he can sign with UGA or USC.

Matthew Thomas is linebacker from Miami who ranked as the nation’s No. 8 overall recruit for 2013, according to the 247sports composite rankings.

Thomas told the Miami Herald on Monday that he is not planning on reporting to FSU this summer and has asked for a release.

“I’ve told them it’s nothing personal. I just didn’t make the decision I really wanted to on Signing Day,” Thomas told the website.

“What happened was on Signing Day [was] I wasn’t sure who I wanted to sign with. I had issues with different schools. But when I told my mom I didn’t want to sign with anybody and wait and give it a few days she said I couldn’t do that. She said, ‘FSU is a good school – pick them. It’s close to home.’ I wasn’t agreeing with it. But I felt like I was being disrespectful to her if I didn’t sign. So I made her happy.”


Thomas said his parents now support him in the transfer request. His childhood favorite is Miami, but he’s not interested in transferring there because he would have to sit out two years, per ACC rules.

“I’ve been in Miami all my life,” Thomas told the Herald. “Georgia needs linebackers. It’s a big program. I have family in Georgia. USC, growing up I never thought I would have an opportunity that big. I just want to go have fun and play football.”

Thomas is supposed to meet with FSU coach Jimbo Fisher soon.
post #1311 of 1322
Thread Starter 
To me, this sounds like someone who isn't just trying to hitch his horse to the best cart, he's just an indecisive HS senior who had great difficulty in what is arguably the most important decision of his life. If he stays (which he may have to) it doesn't sound like it would be kicking and screaming.
post #1312 of 1322
I read the subcontext as "someone's booster is buying my mom an Escalade"
post #1313 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

So this is an interesting issue. A kid signed an LOI to FSU, but now he's changed his mind and wants out so he can go to either UGA or USC.

There's a part of me that is excited about the fact that UGA may be in the running for a top-10 recruit from the last class, but I'm not so certain I want a kid who clearly has some real questions regarding his character. UGA has had enough trouble with entitled, prima donna-type "stars," and a kid thinking he can just change his decision after signing with a school just screams "potential problem child" to me.

Beyond that, I also think there's a philosophical question as to whether FSU should release him. I mean, it's one thing when these guys waver on verbal commitments, but LOIs are supposed to be the end of the story. I don't want to get all "slippery slope" and act like letting one kid out of his LOI will lead to the letters becoming valueless, but I do think it kind of undermines the entire reason they exist.

Either way, what a mess for FSU. Their options basically boil down to either losing the guy who may be their best incoming freshman or trying to force him to stay, thus bringing in a kid who really doesn't want to be there.

I hate reading stories like that because I never know if "USC" means Southern Cal or South Carolina. Rest of the country, automatic Southern Cal. Writer from the South...could be either.
post #1314 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

To me, this sounds like someone who isn't just trying to hitch his horse to the best cart, he's just an indecisive HS senior who had great difficulty in what is arguably the most important decision of his life. If he stays (which he may have to) it doesn't sound like it would be kicking and screaming.

I'm only so sympathetic to the "he's just a kid making a tough decision" line of reason. A lot of kids his age are making the most important decision of their life; it's a part of growing up. I mean, if nothing else, it's a great chance to learn that you keep your commitments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

I read the subcontext as "someone's booster is buying my mom an Escalade"

Could be, but we're talking about one of the most promising recruits in the country. It's hard to imagine that such things never came up during recruiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I hate reading stories like that because I never know if "USC" means Southern Cal or South Carolina. Rest of the country, automatic Southern Cal. Writer from the South...could be either.

I had the same problem, which is why I just kept using "USC." From the context, I'm guessing he meant Southern Cal, but that's a pretty basic mistake for someone like Carvell to have made.
post #1315 of 1322
Thread Starter 
He does say "opportunity that big" when referencing USC. Despite the last decade or so run, that still pales to the real USC and frankly, I'm not sure you can really say South Carolina is substantially bigger than FSU.

Just IMO.
post #1316 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

I'm only so sympathetic to the "he's just a kid making a tough decision" line of reason. A lot of kids his age are making the most important decision of their life; it's a part of growing up. I mean, if nothing else, it's a great chance to learn that you keep your commitments.

I'm fine with him leaving to another school. I don't know why coaches can break their commitments all the time and leave for greener pastures but kids are forced to honor theirs. If they don't, then they're immature and prima donna's. When coaches do it, they're just doing the reasonable thing and taking care of their family, looking for the next challenge, whatever. We shouldn't hold these kid athletes to a higher standard then we do the adult coaches.
post #1317 of 1322
Thread Starter 
I don't think anyone is in favor of the way coaches can break their contracts at will.
post #1318 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

He does say "opportunity that big" when referencing USC. Despite the last decade or so run, that still pales to the real USC and frankly, I'm not sure you can really say South Carolina is substantially bigger than FSU.

Just IMO.

Yeah, I read it the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmade View Post

I'm fine with him leaving to another school. I don't know why coaches can break their commitments all the time and leave for greener pastures but kids are forced to honor theirs. If they don't, then they're immature and prima donna's. When coaches do it, they're just doing the reasonable thing and taking care of their family, looking for the next challenge, whatever. We shouldn't hold these kid athletes to a higher standard then we do the adult coaches.

Even if we all agree that coming and going as they please is a bad thing, I don't think it's an apt comparison here.
post #1319 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Yeah, I read it the same way.
Even if we all agree that coming and going as they please is a bad thing, I don't think it's an apt comparison here.

It would be nice if everyone honored their commitments but no one does. I just don't see why we should hold kids to a higher standard than the adults. Especially since almost all of the players' scholarships are year to year and can be canceled at the whim of the coach. Once the scholarship is canceled, most players drop out since they can't afford to go to school.
post #1320 of 1322
Thread Starter 
your argument would have more weight if people were actually condoning coaches doing that.

That said its still not really an apt comparison.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2012 College Football Thread