or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2012 College Football Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 College Football Thread - Page 73

Poll Results: ?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 4% (2)
    F
  • 4% (2)
    L
  • 4% (2)
    O
  • 4% (2)
    R
  • 4% (2)
    I
  • 8% (4)
    D
  • 8% (4)
    A!
  • 4% (2)
    S
  • 4% (2)
    T
  • 4% (2)
    A
  • 4% (2)
    T
  • 4% (2)
    E!
  • 6% (3)
    FLORIDA STATE!
  • 4% (2)
    FLORIDA STATE!
  • 4% (2)
    FLORIDA STATE!
  • 8% (4)
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • 2% (1)
    LET'S
  • 8% (4)
    GO
  • 2% (1)
    PANTHERS!
45 Total Votes  
post #1081 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah.Dreams View Post

Crowell won't be at UGA next year.
And UGA should compete for the national championship in 2012.
You heard it here first.

Please define this word. eh.gif
post #1082 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg1 View Post

Please define this word. eh.gif

They'll be doing the same thing in '12 like they have in previous years.
post #1083 of 1322
It sucks that Boise State had to play such a mediocre team. They could have provided a very interesting game if paired with a better opponent. Oh well, bowl business as usual and Boise doesn't travel they say.
post #1084 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

It sucks that Boise State had to play such a mediocre team. They could have provided a very interesting game if paired with a better opponent. Oh well, bowl business as usual and Boise doesn't travel they say.

Meh, they're in the Big East now, they can stop crying and start winning BCS bowls.
post #1085 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj100 View Post

Meh, they're in the Big East now, they can stop crying and start winning BCS bowls.

Wouldn't it be great if the Big East loses its automatic bid (I'm sorry, but adding BSU and Houston doesn't balance who they lost . . . and who they lost weren't really that good anyway) and the Mountain West picks up the new AQ? I don't think the welcome mat will still be there when the Broncos come to their senses.
post #1086 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzito View Post

Wouldn't it be great if the Big East loses its automatic bid (I'm sorry, but adding BSU and Houston doesn't balance who they lost . . . and who they lost weren't really that good anyway) and the Mountain West picks up the new AQ? I don't think the welcome mat will still be there when the Broncos come to their senses.

There can't be any changes to the (current) AQ conferences until after the 2013 season, and it's a fair bet that the conference landscape will be considerably different by then. The Big East is a great place for Boise for the next to years - they're basically being handed a BCS invite for 2012 and 2013, AND they don't have to schedule games @ Georgia (etc.) to build credibility to get to the game.

Interesting question: if they run the table (as a Big East team) next year, do they play USC for the Championship, or will one-loss Georgia get the nod over them?
post #1087 of 1322
The Mountain West is pushing for an AQ bid, but I can't see how they get one going forward. Boise State is gone, TCU is gone, Utah is gone, BYU gone, San Diego State (not that they're all that notable) is gone. They have pretty much zero marquee teams left.

Quote:
Interesting question: if they run the table (as a Big East team) next year, do they play USC for the Championship, or will one-loss Georgia get the nod over them?
One loss SEC team always goes before one loss Big East team.
post #1088 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

One loss SEC team always goes before one loss Big East team.

Of course. But does a one loss SEC team go before an undefeated Big East team, considering what 2013's big east looks like:

UConn
Rutgers
Cincinnati
Boise State
Louisville
South Florida
Houston
SMU
UCF
SDSU

I'm not sure why we would take this conference more seriously than we do the 2011 Mountain West.
post #1089 of 1322
USF will crush Boise State. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #1090 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj100 View Post

Of course. But does a one loss SEC team go before an undefeated Big East team, considering what 2013's big east looks like:

UConn CRAP
Rutgers MIDDLING TO CRAP
Cincinnati CRAP, BUT WILL GET ATTENTION FOR ITS ONE BIG WIN OVER A MIDDLING TEAM
Boise State CRAP (IN SPIRIT), BUT WILL PROBABLY GET AT LEAST 9 WINS
Louisville MIDDLING
South Florida DECENT
Houston MIDDLING, DEPENDING ON QB
SMU PLEASE
UCF MIDDLING, WELCOME TO THE BEEF O'BRADY BOWL AGAIN
SDSU WILL PLAY LOTS OF TEAMS TOUGH, BUT LOSE

I'm not sure why we would take this conference more seriously than we do the 2011 Mountain West.

Does anyone care to challenge my predictions?
post #1091 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj100 View Post

Of course. But does a one loss SEC team go before an undefeated Big East team, considering what 2013's big east looks like:

Sorry I misread that, thought you said a one loss Boise.

Uhh...guess it would depend if they played against any decent OOC teams. But this year, doubt an undefeated Big East team would have gotten the nod and the Big East ought to be a lot worse as you noted next year. I'd guess no.
post #1092 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

The Mountain West is pushing for an AQ bid, but I can't see how they get one going forward. Boise State is gone, TCU is gone, Utah is gone, BYU gone, San Diego State (not that they're all that notable) is gone. They have pretty much zero marquee teams left.
One loss SEC team always goes before one loss Big East team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Sorry I misread that, thought you said a one loss Boise.
Uhh...guess it would depend if they played against any decent OOC teams. But this year, doubt an undefeated Big East team would have gotten the nod and the Big East ought to be a lot worse as you noted next year. I'd guess no.

With all the butt-love for the SEC this year, the hypothetical undefeated Big East team (and who would that have been . . . ) would be happy to get an invite to the Music City Bowl to play against Arkansas Academy of Typewriter Repair. Look how many good one and two loss teams got matched up with pure crap opponents.
post #1093 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzito View Post

With all the butt-love for the SEC this year, the hypothetical undefeated Big East team (and who would that have been . . . ) would be happy to get an invite to the Music City Bowl to play against Arkansas Academy of Typewriter Repair. Look how many good one and two loss teams got matched up with pure crap opponents.

Nah, they'd have gotten their BCS autobid just like whoever the fuck won the Big East this year. With the auto-bids and rule against having more than two teams from a conference in BCS bowls, there's a bias against the strongest conferences. They do get to play a bunch of non-BCS New Years bowls, but get shafted in favor of teams like the Big East winner and this year's VT team for BCS bids.

Now, I don't think anybody really likes seeing teams like TCU, Boise St, etc get dumped into bowls against shit teams early in the year, but that's just a problem with the whole money-centric system of bowl invites. Really doesn't have anything to do with conference bias.
post #1094 of 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

doubt an undefeated Big East team would have gotten the nod and the Big East ought to be a lot worse as you noted next year. I'd guess no.

This year I have no doubt that if the Big East Champion (West Virginia) had gone undefeated, they would be playing for the title. Of course, they would have beaten LSU as part of that undefeated record.

The conclusion, I think, is that the Big East is now the Mountain West with an automatic BCS berth. Going undefeated in conference play won't be nearly enough to get them into the title game - but at least a BCS game is the consolation prize.
post #1095 of 1322
Thread Starter 
would it surprise anyone to see that NO ONE was present for the Sheraton Hotels Hawaii Bowl? Like it was poor 1-aa attendance bad.

side note: Southern miss is always an intriguing team to me. they seem to be ranked every year usually by the end but its not really a program or school that i know anything about. They're kinda like the most under the radar good team. IRDK.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2012 College Football Thread