or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general - Page 602

post #9016 of 11182
AWS is absolutely crushing it. Like, CRUSHING IT.

I'd be nervous if I were MSFT and banking on Azure to prop up growth.
post #9017 of 11182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Dead serious. AMZN is encroaching into the corporate space without anyone else making a dent - AMZN's e-mail service (SES) alone makes me wonder why my startup is sticking with GOOG for e-mail.

I know aws is a beast but i wouldn't say it's a one headed dragon just yet I think azure has lots of capacity and I think you'll see more mid range players making a dent for the next few years before aws takes over full steam for cloud and even then I still wouldn't count out azure.


The cloud space is expected to expand 15-20 percent this year.
post #9018 of 11182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

AWS is absolutely crushing it. Like, CRUSHING IT.

I'd be nervous if I were MSFT and banking on Azure to prop up growth.

They reshaped their financial statements to show azures strength and growth. I see this as more of a testament of what's to come rather than hiding the fact that hardware sales are not that strong.
post #9019 of 11182
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

I know aws is a beast but i wouldn't say it's a one headed dragon just yet I think azure has lots of capacity and I think you'll see more mid range players making a dent for the next few years before aws takes over full steam for cloud and even then I still wouldn't count out azure.


The cloud space is expected to expand 15-20 percent this year.

Not yet is the key point.

Amazon sold books in 1994

Microsoft sold software in 1975

Which one is a wee bit different today?
post #9020 of 11182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Not yet is the key point.

Amazon sold books in 1994

Microsoft sold software in 1975

Which one is a wee bit different today?


You can't really compare the two to be honest. Amazon is a comglomerate with their hand in everything and Msft is a hardware company looking to expand into services just like apple.

That being said yes, Amazon has pivoted into smart markets before they got hot.
post #9021 of 11182
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

You can't really compare the two to be honest. Amazon is a comglomerate with their hand in everything and Msft is a hardware company looking to expand into services just like apple.

That being said yes, Amazon has pivoted into smart markets before they got hot.

That's the entire point of my argument on how well I expect AWS to do. If Google and Microsoft - two companies, new and old, are playing catch up and the other guy is also planning on dropping off Christmas presents to your Grandma via drones at years end, I bet on the crazy other guy.
post #9022 of 11182
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

They reshaped their financial statements to show azures strength and growth. I see this as more of a testament of what's to come rather than hiding the fact that hardware sales are not that strong.

I'm sure Azure will enjoy some sales growth but my thesis is that a chunk of potential growth is being robbed by AWS and that AWS will continue to capture more market share as it maintains high, if not increase, growth rates.
post #9023 of 11182
Here's a speculative stock pick: SPB or JNJ

With the rising fears over the Zika virus and the fact that there won't be a vaccine until 2017, could mosquito repellent enjoy a huge sales surge? Increased traffic to HD, perhaps?

🤓
Edited by GreenFrog - 1/28/16 at 9:02am
post #9024 of 11182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Here's a speculative stock pick: SPB or JNJ

With the rising fears over the Zika virus and the fact that there won't be a vaccine until 2017, could mosquito repellent enjoy a huge sales surge? Increased traffic to HD, perhaps?

🤓

CNN FUD?
post #9025 of 11182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

CNN FUD?

More like the WHO calling an emergency meeting FUD.

--

Scumbag brain here is pissed that I missed a couple additional points of gains on FB.

😡😭
post #9026 of 11182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

More like the WHO calling an emergency meeting FUD.

--

Scumbag brain here is pissed that I missed a couple additional points of gains on FB.

😡😭

It happens:

http://www.who.int/influenza/human_animal_interface/en/
post #9027 of 11182
Let's see how AMZN and MSFT do!

Godspeed OC

Edit:

Yikes AMZN. Einhorn should be happy af.

Congrats OC!


Edited by GreenFrog - 1/28/16 at 1:22pm
post #9028 of 11182
Yea happy but we had to reweight the fund today and I'm giving up some ground because tech became overweight compared to other holdings...sorry I'm outperforming the market.

But yea Msft is a little better than I thought so I'm happy hopefully it holds.
post #9029 of 11182
...
Edited by dopey - 1/28/16 at 3:23pm
post #9030 of 11182
Separately, any of you guys have thoughts on MBLY? It seems to be a market leader and well positioned in the industry but, like any tech company whose worth is its promise of future sales, I have no idea how to value it. And I don't really know where it sits. IPO was a couple of years ago, maybe less.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general