or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general - Page 601

post #9001 of 11190

Just sold 100% of my FB stake @106.10.

 

This should be everyone cue to go long.

 

Edit: this is a massively significant moment for me. Have been building my FB for close to two years now I closed it out with a 27% return. While I'm still massively bullish on the company, I can't stomach the recent bouts of volatility. I need to be more risk-off.

 

I feel so much more relieved to be more than 60% cash now. Whew.


Edited by GreenFrog - 1/27/16 at 3:22pm
post #9002 of 11190
My online BFF GF sounds like me the morning after I lost I lost my virginity. It was a fun ride, I wasn't cut out for it then and there, but damn if it wasn't fun. Must text my IRL bros.
post #9003 of 11190

Did anyone else listen in on the conference call?

 

I laughed my ass off when Mark answered the analyst's question on whether he was pleased with initial Oculus sales. He said something along the lines of "Yes I'm happy. I don't show much joy, but I'm happy," and left an awkward two second pause before apologizing, chuckling, and elaborating further.

 

In all seriousness, the major catalyst that pushed me to spontaneously sell my position was when one of the executives (I think it was their CFO) had said they were going to face tough comps in 2016 due to their recent strings of massive outperformance. My mind immediately flashed to AAPL and I thought the shares were going to drop somewhat after that comment. Thankfully they didn't and continued to chug along, popping another 3-4% after what I can only assume was lower than expected CapEx guidance for 2016.

 

I'm just rambling at this point but goddamn I needed this relief. Thank you, based Zuckerberg and Sandberg.

post #9004 of 11190
I've never shorted a stock before -- how does the position appear on your account? Does it show up as a regular long position in terms of share ownership, except you're taking delight in seeing it red?

Also can one have a net neutral position on a stock where you're equal amounts short and long at the same time?
post #9005 of 11190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I've never shorted a stock before -- how does the position appear on your account? Does it show up as a regular long position in terms of share ownership, except you're taking delight in seeing it red?

Also can one have a net neutral position on a stock where you're equal amounts short and long at the same time?

No it doesn't show up as a long position. It shows up short (gain/loss is flipped) but you can still take delight in seeing it in the red. Might vary across brokerage firms.

Did you short eBay with your FB profits?
post #9006 of 11190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

No it doesn't show up as a long position. It shows up short (gain/loss is flipped) but you can still take delight in seeing it in the red. Might vary across brokerage firms.

Did you short eBay with your FB profits?

Ah gotcha. Thanks.

No, but I'm looking to short NFLX. I wish I piggybacked on that position when my dad first told me about it. Would have made a tidy sum already.

Einhorn is short NFLX and AMZN, but I'm pretty bullish on AMZN.

Not so much on NFLX anymore.
post #9007 of 11190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I've never shorted a stock before -- how does the position appear on your account? Does it show up as a regular long position in terms of share ownership, except you're taking delight in seeing it red?

Also can one have a net neutral position on a stock where you're equal amounts short and long at the same time?

Depends on your brokerage or OMS. Generally you will own -xxx shares with - signifying short.

Cost of borrow or hard to borrow will be a hurdle and might not be transparent across different firms and sometimes you do need to call their desk for info if you are on retail platform.

Cost of borrow for some stocks are sky high, e.g., TSLA, SQ.

No you can't be short XYZ and long XYZ at the same time. You can however have derivative contracts that achieve the same goal. For example, in asset rotation strat, good tax management strat won't sell SPY to rotate out but instead sell futures against the position to stay net neutral.
post #9008 of 11190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Ah gotcha. Thanks.

No, but I'm looking to short NFLX. I wish I piggybacked on that position when my dad first told me about it. Would have made a tidy sum already.

Einhorn is short NFLX and AMZN, but I'm pretty bullish on AMZN.

Not so much on NFLX anymore.

Come to the dark side. I am still short NFLX since before earnings.

Einhorn shorting these momentum are as expected as VC saying future will be great and gold bugs buying gold.
post #9009 of 11190
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Come to the dark side. I am still short NFLX since before earnings.

Einhorn shorting these momentum are as expected as VC saying future will be great and gold bugs buying gold.

What's your cost basis for your NFLX short? It's down significantly already. I'm worried about a near term bounce. I'd be comfortable shorting it when it's above the psychological $100 price.
post #9010 of 11190
Bulkin' up my ETFs icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #9011 of 11190
That's a good chunk of change you deployed there.

Godspeed brah.
post #9012 of 11190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

That's a good chunk of change you deployed there.

Godspeed brah.

Likewise! Congrats on your FB killing! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #9013 of 11190
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikajinda View Post

Bulkin' up my ETFs icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I need to do this - beyond the managed stuff, I have a decent amount of money sitting around. Debating handing it over to the firm (who won't do anything exotic, will mitigate the downside and focus solely on the long term) or splitting it up into somethings I would do and they would do.

I'd almost certainly never bet against a company. I did a covered call once, never amounted to anything. I'd be willing to consider broader things including short term fixed investments.

Also, to GF-dawg's thing about AMZN. I'm bullish on them as well. It's just how much of it is built-in. My friend's at MSFT and GOOG are very scared of their cloud space. My startup uses their cloud services which are brilliantly scalable.

I bought about 2000 bucks of them at 8 some odd after my first internship in undergrad (a decent amount of money for an 18 year old) and panicked and sold when they hit 6 some odd bucks around 9/11. I bought them because I love reading books and thought they were good at that. Silly me. shog[1].gif
post #9014 of 11190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

I need to do this - beyond the managed stuff, I have a decent amount of money sitting around. Debating handing it over to the firm (who won't do anything exotic, will mitigate the downside and focus solely on the long term) or splitting it up into somethings I would do and they would do.

I'd almost certainly never bet against a company. I did a covered call once, never amounted to anything. I'd be willing to consider broader things including short term fixed investments.

Also, to GF-dawg's thing about AMZN. I'm bullish on them as well. It's just how much of it is built-in. My friend's at MSFT and GOOG are very scared of their cloud space. My startup uses their cloud services which are brilliantly scalable.

I bought about 2000 bucks of them at 8 some odd after my first internship in undergrad (a decent amount of money for an 18 year old) and panicked and sold when they hit 6 some odd bucks around 9/11. I bought them because I love reading books and thought they were good at that. Silly me. shog[1].gif

People at Msft are scared of aws? Azure revenue will prop up Msft tonight in after hours trading when it beats earnings. Looking for a good 5-6 percent price appreciation hopefully.
post #9015 of 11190
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

People at Msft are scared of aws? Azure revenue will prop up Msft tonight in after hours trading when it beats earnings. Looking for a good 5-6 percent price appreciation hopefully.

Dead serious. AMZN is encroaching into the corporate space without anyone else making a dent - AMZN's e-mail service (SES) alone makes me wonder why my startup is sticking with GOOG for e-mail.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general