or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general - Page 589

post #8821 of 11418
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

what policy enactment specifically are you concerned with, under either clinton or obama, that lead to either collapse ?

I am personally of the opinion the macro economy does not happen in discrete units such as that of a presidential term so I personally do not ascribe the current state of the macro economy as the results of any one POTUS or Congress. This however is not an opinion shared by the majority of people applying labels to things and my question was concerning said labeling.
post #8822 of 11418
wow...I guess maybe monday wasn't the best time to fully fund and invest my 2016 IRA contribution.
post #8823 of 11418
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

wow...I guess maybe monday wasn't the best time to fully fund and invest my 2016 IRA contribution.

In the long term it will be a good decision. I could say the same thing about the pile of S&P index I bought a week ago today if I judged my decision based on this week. This weekend we'll be logging into Mrs. Piob's new government 457, which defaulted to a money market when it was set up last month, and dropping all cash and future allocations to some more index funds.

Btw, government 457s kick major ass.
post #8824 of 11418
I'm cool as a cucumber right now, all things considered.
post #8825 of 11418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

In the long term it will be a good decision. I could say the same thing about the pile of S&P index I bought a week ago today if I judged my decision based on this week. This weekend we'll be logging into Mrs. Piob's new government 457, which defaulted to a money market when it was set up last month, and dropping all cash and future allocations to some more index funds.

Btw, government 457s kick major ass.

I need to marry a state or federal employee. Pension: check, 457: check, reasonable hours: check. If I can find a sexy native American woman federal employee, I'm in like Flynn.
post #8826 of 11418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post


He was actually fairly civilized yesterday imho compared to the lame 7th grade tattletale crap between Cruz and Rubio.

Also, failing to reign in China's currency manipulation falls on Clinton, Bush 43 and Obama imo.

I remember reading an Economist article around 2010 or so that quoted Goldman Sachs as saying how China was managing their currency well and their GDP would overtake the US between 2020-2025 and telling my Chinese American roomie that that will never happen with their currency policy. lulz. shog[1].gif

 

How can we accuse the Chinese of currency manipulation when we do basically the same stuff - QE, 0% interest, etc.

post #8827 of 11418
It usually makes the market go up when we do it...but not always biggrin.gif
post #8828 of 11418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


In the long term it will be a good decision. I could say the same thing about the pile of S&P index I bought a week ago today if I judged my decision based on this week. This weekend we'll be logging into Mrs. Piob's new government 457, which defaulted to a money market when it was set up last month, and dropping all cash and future allocations to some more index funds.

Btw, government 457s kick major ass.

 

My understanding is that it just eliminates an early withdrawal penalty.  Is there any other advantage over 401k?

post #8829 of 11418
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

How can we accuse the Chinese of currency manipulation when we do basically the same stuff - QE, 0% interest, etc.

I think we occupy a better side of the impossible trinity than China does.
post #8830 of 11418
In 10 years it won't matter whether you bought last week or this week. I have been buying on just about every down day and put about 2-3x more today at good prices than I had bought in the past month or two combined. Really happy with my decision to sit on the proceeds I received in November from my real estate sale. I'm primarily buying VTI which is down 15% from 52-week highs.
post #8831 of 11418
I'm still around 30% cash. May need to bite the bullet soon and add to my AAPL position.
post #8832 of 11418
I've been experimenting with my Roth IRA by putting in a small amount of VXX-- which has made the last month much less exciting. Down 25bp or so in 2016, and up 38bp today.

By itself VXX is so volatile that there might be a chance to scrape out a few extra nickels by keeping it as a fixed percentage of the account. That strategy would imply doing a little harvesting today.
post #8833 of 11418
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post
 

 

How can we accuse the Chinese of currency manipulation when we do basically the same stuff - QE, 0% interest, etc.

 

We don't peg our currency to other currencies while they do.

 

On the other hand, we are the king of monetary manipulations.

post #8834 of 11418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordia View Post

I've been experimenting with my Roth IRA by putting in a small amount of VXX-- which has made the last month much less exciting. Down 25bp or so in 2016, and up 38bp today.

By itself VXX is so volatile that there might be a chance to scrape out a few extra nickels by keeping it as a fixed percentage of the account. That strategy would imply doing a little harvesting today.

I woudln't advise that. VXX decreases in value over time due to contango. 

 

Currently vix is in backwardization though, so holding VXX provides positive returns over time.

post #8835 of 11418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post


I need to marry a state or federal employee. Pension: check, 457: check, reasonable hours: check. If I can find a sexy native American woman federal employee, I'm in like Flynn.

 

Best to find a Latino and native American mix, ex veteran too.  Great to be one of the top of the only three ethnity in America - latino, non-latino, and decline to specify.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general