or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general - Page 49

post #721 of 5568
The Kindle Fire is a thing of beauty. IPS screen for $199 and everything in cloud icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #722 of 5568
Gotta love the weekly routine:

"Woo, rumors that Europe might get out of this mess after all!"

Three days later

"Oh god the wheels are coming off, we're all doomed!"

Rinse, repeat.
post #723 of 5568
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameBack View Post

Gotta love the weekly routine:
"Woo, rumors that Europe might get out of this mess after all!"
Three days later
"Oh god the wheels are coming off, we're all doomed!"
Rinse, repeat.

Plus ONE!!, Every week its the same thing, "Markets rally on hope of Euro-Greece-Fix" then its "Markets sink on Euro-Greece-Debt-gloom
post #724 of 5568
Amazon are going to go through the roof with the Fire - they're about only distributor able to go toe to toe with the iPad's ecosystem.
post #725 of 5568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan View Post

Amazon are going to go through the roof with the Fire - they're about only distributor able to go toe to toe with the iPad's ecosystem.

Just hoping it ships as a ready product with little or no glitches. I mean look at the playbook, xoom, etc.
post #726 of 5568
I'm probably going to take my trading algo for a real-money test drive in the next week or so. I've definitely got some trepidation, but now is probably a good time for it, assuming that we're about to see a big crash.
post #727 of 5568
How does it perform if you're wrong about a crash?
post #728 of 5568
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post

How does it perform if you're wrong about a crash?

Should stay in the black, but it tends to do a good job of detecting big swings and entering/exiting them at the right time. If there is a big crash I wouldn't be surprised at doubling my investment in 6 mos
post #729 of 5568
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameBack View Post

Should stay in the black, but it tends to do a good job of detecting big swings and entering/exiting them at the right time. If there is a big crash I wouldn't be surprised at doubling my investment in 6 mos

If there is a big crash, your entry was a little while back if it's good at catching swings, no?
post #730 of 5568
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post

If there is a big crash, your entry was a little while back if it's good at catching swings, no?

Eh, I mean I don't think we're in the midst of an '08 style crash just yet. I think we're obviously seeing the foreshadowing of an imminent crash, but it's still oscillating an awful lot to call it a proper crash. Remember that the '08 crash included an extended period of pretty much drop-like-a-rock losses. None of this crazy volatility -- just straight plunge.
post #731 of 5568
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameBack View Post

Eh, I mean I don't think we're in the midst of an '08 style crash just yet. I think we're obviously seeing the foreshadowing of an imminent crash, but it's still oscillating an awful lot to call it a proper crash. Remember that the '08 crash included an extended period of pretty much drop-like-a-rock losses. None of this crazy volatility -- just straight plunge.

Most moves involve similar price action on any scale. 1. move 2. retrace/consolidate 3. continue. I guess I consider 7/22 forward as part of the whole as opposed to separate moves. A close on the daily below support (which we're kissing right now) is where most people are considering the entry for part 3.

Would mind giving a general description of how your system works?
post #732 of 5568
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post

Most moves involve similar price action on any scale. 1. move 2. retrace/consolidate 3. continue. I guess I consider 7/22 forward as part of the whole as opposed to separate moves. A close on the daily below support (which we're kissing right now) is where most people are considering the entry for part 3.
Would mind giving a general description of how your system works?

I mean that's a fair interpretation -- just for the purposes of my model, large uni-directional swings are what make the huge profits. Look at September/October 2008. It's pretty much straight down off a cliff -- and that one-month period generally causes my model to about double its yield.

As to the general strategy -- I basically have a portfolio of different (very crude, currently) algorithms, including inverse versions of every algorithm (i.e., when one goes long, its inverse goes short). I then have a heuristic layered on top of all this which on any given day decides between the various algorithms, and settles on one to use that day.
post #733 of 5568
Hey all, where can a stock market and.investing noob read, and get started on investing cash. I would like to learn and maybe make some.money for college in the meantime?
post #734 of 5568
Don't go long on ANYTHING right now.
post #735 of 5568
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post

Don't go long on ANYTHING right now.

Might not be a bad deal if you buy now and hold for a few years. Markets have always gone up over time, minus the past 10 years.

RicPac - Easiest and minimal risk - S&P index fund or ETFs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general