or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general - Page 35

post #511 of 5005
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

OMG don't get hung up on the P/E, I just pulled that out of my ass to show the nonsensical nature of Yahoo Finance messageboards.

As far as stock / trading forums go, this one is actually pretty good here.

Yeah though you really don't use P/E that much when your investing, there are so many ratios to be using other than P/E that give better information. Any how glad the market is up a bit, been buying the past two days.
post #512 of 5005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

If someone is investing, a P/E ratio has meaning. If someone is trading for quick profits, it means little.

My questions was why somebody who doesn't understand P/E was bothering with stocks in the first place. It's not one of those things that's very subjective. There's tons of literature out there on it, and how it relates to other fundamental measures.
Quote:
Although I'm sure most of us don't work on Wall St., you can still buy stocks that are not penny stocks.

AFAIK with penny stocks you just buy and hope they go up instead of going broke right? So it's kind of like roulette? Or is it a matter of fundamental analysis + prayer?

Edit:
Quote:
Yeah though you really don't use P/E that much when your investing, there are so many ratios to be using other than P/E that give better information. Any how glad the market is up a bit, been buying the past two days.

Eh, it's quick and easy to look at, and if you're doing fundamental analysis, you might as well look at everything.

On a separate note, I'm looking at MO right now for depositing a chunk of long term cash in a month or two.

ISRG is still cramping the shit out of my style. It's nice to see it up, but I fucking hate sitting back and waiting for the loss.

Sold BIDU 145 Call for a nice profit just now. I'll probably hold off on the others until tomorrow if we have another green day. If we're down tomorrow I'll just hold and wait for the up next week.
post #513 of 5005
Thread Starter 
Up 300 today on the unemployment numbers... it'll be down 600 tomorrow...
post #514 of 5005
Quote:
AFAIK with penny stocks you just buy and hope they go up instead of going broke right? So it's kind of like roulette? Or is it a matter of fundamental analysis + prayer?

Yeah pray you don't get whacked with dilution or some toxic financing.

I learned my lesson. When I see "PIPE" anywhere in a filing...I bail.
post #515 of 5005
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post


It bounced the 200MA is 12 cents above the open...

Yeah, perhaps bouncing off a 200MA would be a good screen for entry points since that moving average seems to be the biggest support there is.
post #516 of 5005
I don't think that many people on SF are really playing with penny stocks.

People who are into penny stocks love to post about it though...probably because they subconsciously know that more buzz is more buzz and they are hoping to ride it up (what could be better for a penny stock owner than already owning it when somebody tries to pump and dump it?)

I hold one real penny stock (I have an ADR that trades with the pennies but is actually a large major company in denmark so its not really a penny stock). I'm not sure exactly why I own it...basically it was bought as a gamble hoping for a big return in the future but not expecting anything. It is in the solar power industry (although just finishing development and product approval, so no sales yet) so it fit with my asset allocation.

It hasn't made any real money yet...but it recently did a 30:1 reverse split and is aiming to be listed on a major exchange...I don't know if that is good or bad but their product should finish UL certification testing soon. If that goes well, the stock should do well...but I am wondering if the split will hurt potential upside since it is easier for something to jump a ton when it is valued at 15 cents than when it is several dollars (since people are irrational)
post #517 of 5005
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post


Yeah, perhaps bouncing off a 200MA would be a good screen for entry points since that moving average seems to be the biggest support there is.

I'd use it as a very basic screen. Stocks like to bounce and then retrace or consolidate and break through as much as they like to rise off of the 200MA.

I prefer to use the 200MA at the daily level as a trend, momentum, and lagging (but reliable) reversal indicator on major indexes and stocks. It works okay when trading stocks, though you'll miss a lot of the move, but since I'm leveraged heavily with options it works pretty well. Horizontal line test FTW.
post #518 of 5005
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post


My questions was why somebody who doesn't understand P/E was bothering with stocks in the first place. It's not one of those things that's very subjective. There's tons of literature out there on it, and how it relates to other fundamental measures.
Quote:
Although I'm sure most of us don't work on Wall St., you can still buy stocks that are not penny stocks.

AFAIK with penny stocks you just buy and hope they go up instead of going broke right? So it's kind of like roulette? Or is it a matter of fundamental analysis + prayer?

Edit:
Quote:
Yeah though you really don't use P/E that much when your investing, there are so many ratios to be using other than P/E that give better information. Any how glad the market is up a bit, been buying the past two days.

Eh, it's quick and easy to look at, and if you're doing fundamental analysis, you might as well look at everything.

On a separate note, I'm looking at MO right now for depositing a chunk of long term cash in a month or two.

ISRG is still cramping the shit out of my style. It's nice to see it up, but I fucking hate sitting back and waiting for the loss.

Sold BIDU 145 Call for a nice profit just now. I'll probably hold off on the others until tomorrow if we have another green day. If we're down tomorrow I'll just hold and wait for the up next week.

How are the dividends by MO compare to the rest of tobacco?
post #519 of 5005
They're about equal to RAI, significantly below VGR, and above the rest. Right now I'm looking at management, management history, any legal issues that might sink business, and plans for expansion.

I'm going to be a happy man if tomorrow turns out half as good as today.
post #520 of 5005
IMO to trade penny stocks ya need balls of steel. Anything under 5 bucks share price, institutions are going to avoid, so it's all retail investors. Which means, pennies need big volume to move up. Don't know how many times I've been holding a penny stock to see it bounce and thought "wow something must be going on with the company!". Turns out nope, just some dipshit penny stock website did a feature on them. Volume dries up a day later, and gets walked back down lower than what the price was beforehand.
post #521 of 5005
How do you guys feel about buying for long term holding right now? Many good companies are down 20% right now compared to 3 months ago.
post #522 of 5005
What's your goal, what's your risk tolerance, how actively do you plan to trade, and how much do you know about the stock market?

Edit: Javyn- that's why I don't like penny stocks. Mass market behavior is reliable.
post #523 of 5005
I'm new to investing. My risk tolerance is high since I'm young and probably won't need the money in the next 5 years. I'm not sure what you mean by how actively I plan to trade... I want to hold on to these shares for years, they're businesses that I consider worth investing in anyways, they're just cheap now because the whole market is down.
post #524 of 5005
"I want to hold on to these shares for years, they're businesses that I consider worth investing in anyways, they're just cheap now because the whole market is down."

I wouldn't be surprised if the market completely eats shit in the next 5 years, but if you believe in the companies and view them as cheap then there's no reason not to buy...
post #525 of 5005
Okay, so would you place them somewhere else instead? It's not a lot of money right now, but I'm planning to invest a big chunk of my paychecks the next couple of years in stocks and bonds. Maybe commodities as well, but don't feel that I know enough to invest in them, the whole gold/silver thing seems quite risky right now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general