or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general - Page 139

post #2071 of 6095
Nice turn out today, impressive results from Royal Dutch shell and the marlboro man kept pace. Interested in seeing what chevron turns out tomorrow since I was surprised by Exxon's miss.
post #2072 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I'm still hanging onto AGNC despite the drop in the dividend.
I have increased my position a couple of times at lower prices so while the yield is down to only 16%, I have also benefited from some price appreciation from my entry points.

I sold my AGNC position a couple months back and loaded up on ARR.

Monthly dividends baybay.
post #2073 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I sold my AGNC position a couple months back and loaded up on ARR.
Monthly dividends baybay.

i read a seekingalpha (i know, i know) article about ARR that seemed relatively well-researched basically saying that management blows. former shareholder, but definitely will not be getting in after the latest round of share sales.
post #2074 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I'm still hanging onto AGNC despite the drop in the dividend.
I have increased my position a couple of times at lower prices so while the yield is down to only 16%, I have also benefited from some price appreciation from my entry points.

I sold my AGNC position a couple months back and loaded up on ARR.

Monthly dividends baybay.

Quick look at both shows a declining share price in ARR, while AGNC has appreciated in value and pays out a hefty dividend. What made your decision?
post #2075 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppllzz View Post

i read a seekingalpha (i know, i know) article about ARR that seemed relatively well-researched basically saying that management blows. former shareholder, but definitely will not be getting in after the latest round of share sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Quick look at both shows a declining share price in ARR, while AGNC has appreciated in value and pays out a hefty dividend. What made your decision?

ARR actually has a higher yield than AGNC. Reason I bought ARR was because it's not as volatile. Granted, it plummeted after the latest round of shares issuance, but it's rebounding nicely.

A lot of analysts have ARR set to BUY.

Also, the monthly dividends are very attractive.
post #2076 of 6095
It looks like a trap to me, declining share price but decent dividends.
post #2077 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

It looks like a trap to me, declining share price but decent dividends.

Yeah that's like Vector Group. I've been selling off but not sure if I should continue or not. They've paid me solid dividends for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_golfing View Post

do you have a link for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjeezle View Post

http://whoownsfacebook.com/

For me info was just word of mouth but thanks for the link
post #2078 of 6095
Annaly is like that these days, they will get squeezed when interest rates rise and the stock price is showing it.
post #2079 of 6095
i took a small short position in BAC, for a quick trade at 8.28. hopefully i see some red tomorrow
post #2080 of 6095
The most dangerous game..
post #2081 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYstyle View Post

i took a small short position in BAC, for a quick trade at 8.28. hopefully i see some red tomorrow

Pre market is showing green... both BAC and the market in general
post #2082 of 6095
How do you guys do on average with these side bets? Most of the people I know who got into it, made money at first then got killed and ended up taking Big losses when the market changed directions. I have never taken a side bet, meaning an options play or a short personally, since it goes against my dividend collecting strategy.
post #2083 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

How do you guys do on average with these side bets? Most of the people I know who got into it, made money at first then got killed and ended up taking Big losses when the market changed directions. I have never taken a side bet, meaning an options play or a short personally, since it goes against my dividend collecting strategy.

I make it a personal policy to hedge all my positions regardless of how confident I am of being right. That means that when I short a stock, I also collar off the position to limit both up and downside. Same goes for my long positions. That means that I can keep rolling over my position so that gains are not recognised and losses are tax deductible for the year.
post #2084 of 6095
I've analyses the strategy and always find the expenses to outweigh the possible gains.
post #2085 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

It looks like a trap to me, declining share price but decent dividends.

Yeah, I am not sure I understand this move.

ARR pays a higher yield, but ONLY because the share price has fallen. So unless you bought the shares today, you what...traded a 10% decline in the value of the shares for an extra % of *annual* yield? On price alone, AGNC has outperformed ARR in every period I clicked on.

Not sure what the benefit of monthly dividends are either...its not like you need steady income from them (hopefully you are holding this kind of stuff in a tax-advantaged account since REIT dividends are taxed as full income).

The AGNC train can't go on forever and they are gonna get squeezed. They could still be profitable but 15-20% yields are clearly not sustainable in the long run. They still seem to be the best risky option in this arena though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general