or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audi A8

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 
Any Audi A8 owners here? I'm looking at buying a 2008 or 2009 and I'd appreciate any info anyone can offer on their own experiences with this car.
post #2 of 59
Audi engineers developed this latest version of MMI with hard and soft keys, dedicated buttons for commonly used controls and a revolutionary touchpad that interprets hand-written inputs. The MMI touch system can be used with ease. Just like drawing in the sand, your index finger allows you to enter navigation destinations and telephone numbers by simply "writing" with your finger on the touchpad.
post #3 of 59
My father has the A8L for when he's out with clietns or long distances. I love it, plenty of leg room in the back and a very smooth ride. Its also much more understated than an S500 which is nice. Touch wood there have been no issues with it, but its only been going two years.
post #4 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post
My father has the A8L for when he's out with clietns or long distances. I love it, plenty of leg room in the back and a very smooth ride. Its also much more understated than an S500 which is nice.

Touch wood there have been no issues with it, but its only been going two years.

Same on all counts.
post #5 of 59
I have a 2007 S8 - same body style as the short A8 - and its a great car. If you can find/afford one with the B&O stereo, grab it: the best car stereo I have ever heard by a wide margin
post #6 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERhodes View Post
Any Audi A8 owners here? I'm looking at buying a 2008 or 2009 and I'd appreciate any info anyone can offer on their own experiences with this car.
A good friend has one. I'm thinking of switching from Mercedes to the A8. The Mercedes just draws too much attention ... while the less conspicuous A8 offers all the luxury and performance I really need.
post #7 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
I'm thinking of switching from Mercedes to the A8. The Mercedes just draws too much attention ... while the less conspicuous A8 offers all the luxury and performance I really need.
I'm leaning towards doing this, too, but waiting for the D4 S8 or W12. The car has grown on me.
post #8 of 59
We recently picked up the 2011 A8. Fantastic car. Definitely more subtle the 7/S class but offers as much if not more tech, quality, plenty of power. The Quattro is fantastic in the snow, much better than X-Drive/4matic, even with the low profile all seasons, it handles Northeast winters fine. The previous gen A8 (08/09 you are looking at) were great cars, relatively reliability but they didn't sell well (partially because the looks were borderline TOO subtle) -- but this means that they're a steal in the used market. Might consider looking at an 06 with low miles, it'll probably be a much better deal, and I don't think anything changed much from 06-09
post #9 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg35 View Post
Might consider looking at an 06 with low miles, it'll probably be a much better deal, and I don't think anything changed much from 06-09

There's a facelift somewhere around 2007 or 2008, so I'd go with the updated model.
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg35 View Post
We recently picked up the 2011 A8. Fantastic car. Definitely more subtle the 7/S class but offers as much if not more tech, quality, plenty of power. The Quattro is fantastic in the snow, much better than X-Drive/4matic, even with the low profile all seasons, it handles Northeast winters fine. The previous gen A8 (08/09 you are looking at) were great cars, relatively reliability but they didn't sell well (partially because the looks were borderline TOO subtle) -- but this means that they're a steal in the used market. Might consider looking at an 06 with low miles, it'll probably be a much better deal, and I don't think anything changed much from 06-09
They're a steal because of reliability issue. I wouldn't own any German cars without warrenty. Lexus has consistent higher resale value because they are so damn trouble free.
post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Lexus has consistent higher resale value because they are so damn trouble free.
Yes ... but it's ... a Lexus. If you can live with that ... good for you. I couldn't.
post #12 of 59
+1 you have to ask yourself whether you like nice cars or just nice things
post #13 of 59
I have an 09 3.0tdi quattro sport (I live in the UK). Very comfortable, quiet, understated and refined and eats big miles effortlessly - I can get 800 miles on a tank of diesel with a light right foot or it will cruise at three figures with very little fuss and still return 30+mpg. Tons of space too.

Lots of toys and things to keep you amused - my only concern would be electricals - I've had two of the "push button" door handles fail (if you have the key on you you can just push any of the door handle buttons to lock the car) and the rear air conditioning appears to have failed in the last week so I'll have to get that looked at.

Overall build quality seems good and it certainly feels well screwed together. Later cars get more equipment so worth looking for a late 08 or 09. I much prefer the shape to the new one.

Probably my only criticism is that it perhaps lacks a bit of character but I think that can be overrated. A few years ago I had one of the first aluminium bodied Jag XJ8s (X350) and I absolutely loved the looks and the drive but it was so poorly built I had to get rid of it at after a couple of years as just about everything major had failed on it at some stage and the bodywork had severe corrosion (no accident damage). Give me reliable and efficient over lovely and temperamental any day (in cars at least....). I've also had a couple of Lexus and there's no doubt the dealers are excellent and the cars exceptionally reliable but they don't drive very well or look great IMO. My last car was a Merc E320CDI with lots of toys and I did 150k miles in that - an excellent car.

In summary I think the A8 is an excellent car and fantastic value at a year or two old. If you can find a good colour/spec combo (mine is Phantom Black with black leather on 19in five spokes and looks great IMO) with a warranty then go for it. I doubt you'll find much better for the money.

Hope this helps.
post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
There's a facelift somewhere around 2007 or 2008, so I'd go with the updated model.

You're right, and I agree, but so few people would be able to tell the difference between the 06 and the 07 A8. It was one of the most subtle facelifts ever done to a production car.
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
Yes ... but it's ... a Lexus. If you can live with that ... good for you. I couldn't.
Bloody Audi...? Shouldn't you be driving some open top sportster like a Morgan or something...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home