or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Man of Steel (2013)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Man of Steel (2013) - Page 50

post #736 of 847
So basically, Rolling Stone's review is saying that the cast and Christopher Nolan's input turn this into a movie that even Zack Snyder can't completely ruin (though he does his level best)?
post #737 of 847
Nolan has no input in this film though, Goyer wrote it and told Nolan, Nolan liked it and presented it to WB and of course they approve of Nolan and then he becomes a producer. That was the extent of Nolans involvement in this film. It is all Goyer and Snyder. Hell everyone claimed that Nolan was on set for one day the whole production time.

Sad part is that if it is bad Snyder gets the blame but if it is good then Nolan gets the credit.
post #738 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

So basically, Rolling Stone's review is saying that the cast and Christopher Nolan's input turn this into a movie that even Zack Snyder can't completely ruin (though he does his level best)?
Heh! I think that is part the review too.

In any case, a bunch of the reviews I have been reading seem to lament that it is humorless, dark, nobody-cracks-a-smile, not Reeve, etc(in essence) and it was getting stale - to me, at least. I thought this review was a good counterpoint. As for me, I am ok with a redo and the darker tones and what not. But then again, I am one of those who liked the Batman reboot. Oh well!! smile.gif
post #739 of 847
Who didn't like the Batman reboot?
post #740 of 847
My quick review:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I feel that Man of Steel is a really good origin story and a very good film, though it might be leaning more towards a summer blockbuster action flick.

I see where most reviewers/critics might dislike the film but to me I felt the action was pretty good throughout the whole film and concluding the giant showdown that really won't give you a chance to breath for the last 30-40 minutes of the film. Just when you thought the explotion couldn't get any bigger, it does. And I think that is exactly what a Superman film should be, hell it should be what every DC movies should be outside of Batman. Everything has to be spectacular and over the top because DC heroes (especially those in JLA) are just that much more powerful than their Marvel counterpart. I can see where critics can get tired and feel like less is more, I simply disagree. This is a Superman we need and deserve. It was all good and actually felt like a Superman fight, just pure destruction.

From the beginning in Krypton, it felt already action packed. I didn't expect Crowes part to be as big as it was. Then it moves to Clark and his flashbacks and yes the pacing was rushed but it seemed dull at times to some but I like it mixed with some actions. I like the way Snyder did it with the flashbacks than the traditional way of simply putting it in a chronological form. It really something that I didn't feel I needed to sit for again, Snyders way give you some actions and feats while explaining what made Clark the way he is. My guess is it had to be rushed or else the film might be 3 hours long, a Directors Cut with an additional 20-25 minutes might make it better paced. Overall, the faster paced of jumping from one scene to the other could have been handled better but it is somewhat in tune with the pace of the whole film.

It also felt like this origin film delves deeper into Clark/Kal Els inner side, Costner was great as his dad and really delivered in the scenes he is a part of. I hate it that critics gives MoS a negative for missing the charming version of Reeves, Cavills isn't exactly dark and he has a bit of that charm when Lois was in the interrogation room with him but it is nice to see him be more emotional than Reeves more suave version. His screams and struggles are a nice touch, he isn't perfect and still working is way through it. Just the flying part, dude was genuinely happy to fly smiling from ear to ear, exactly how I (and most of us) would be if we all of a sudden were able to fly. Hell even his reaction to his heat vision was great, he has to shake it off every time he uses it. It is a nice change to how he adapts to his powers. And speaking of Cavill, he isn't perfect acting-wise but built-wise, he is the best Superman there is for sure. Acting did felt a bit more robotic at times but Cavill pulled it off.

Cavills Superman isn't exactly dark or really that gritty either, it is still Superman in essence, just not a portrayal of Reeves as most seem to want to see. I personally do not since we already saw that in SR. Cavills Superman isn't exactly Batman with a dark past, though he is an orphan as well but he did grow up with great parents and I think you see that. I think the darkest part is just Pa Kent dying and Kal snapping Zods neck in the end. Also felt that reaction in the end was great on Cavills part, with that scream you can feel the resentment. I wish Lois wasn't there though to try and comfort him right away. Small nitpick.

Shannon as Zod is harder to judge, I thought he looked intimidating but he felt more powerful in the trailers. He was still a good villain but Faora seemed more bad-a$$. Shannon was still good though, I think. That final speech before the final throw down with Supes was good, I think it could have been delivered better though.

Crowe was great, surprisingly big role but he was very good.

Adams was ok as Lois, not perfect and she could have looked a bit better. You can see her age seeping through the screen, acting is on point but someone younger would have really been my choice after seeing the film. And speaking of Lois, her relationship with Clark is definitely different. I can see where the critics would not like it, it is a big change on how they meet but it isn't bad. I like it that it wasn't very sappy between the two though that random kiss could have been left out. I feel like it is a way to make you think everything is done so that Zod can be a bit of a surprise, didn't come off that way though. Not sure where the critics are saying there is no chemistry between Cavill and Adams (Clark & Lois) and that they do not interact enough, they were together on-screen more than enough. Overall, I like their relationship and the new take on it.

I was really impressed with the Krypton Snyder created, it is just stunning and I love it. My guess is from this point forward, this version of Krypton will be used in the comics more, it is simply amazing.

What I don't like, I hate, HATE it that Clark is just too casual with hie secret identity. it's like he just ignores his dads wishes when he just said that his dad died to protect his abilities from the public and dude just confesses to a priest. Then Lois finds out who he is right away (not bad since she is supposedly a Pulitzer Prized reporter) and just leads the cops of gave her a ride to Kents farm and you see Superman in full costume right there with Martha and TADAAAA!!!!! There he is Superman... in Kent farm... and the whole world knows Lois knows his true identity... Cover blown!

CGI was great but some parts did need some tweaking, some looked overly fake like I was watching Matrix Reloaded all over again.


I really do think the critics was very resistant with any change on the Superman story and just wants to see a retooling of Donner and Reeves version. I see it written all the time. I see what they are saying and understand that it is what they grew up with but I still managed to love this version. It isn't perfect, it is no TDK by any stretch but an new take on the origins of Superman it is and done well at that.
post #741 of 847
What score would you give it?
post #742 of 847
I liked it, a lot.

TDK is a 10/10 for me, Avengers is maybe 8-9/10 and I'd rank this about the same, 8.5-9/10. I am a big Superman fanboy though so I am a bit biased.
post #743 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

Who didn't like the Batman reboot?
Hmmm. I had Batman Begins(start of the reboot)in mind. Although now, thinking about it, maybe BB was as well reviewedd as TDK or TDKR. I will have to check Rotten Tomatoes to see.

Anyways, back to the MoS topic - I am gonna stop reading reviews till I see the movie. Some of the reviews are giving away too much of the movie.
post #744 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post

Hmmm. I had Batman Begins(start of the reboot)in mind. Although now, thinking about it, maybe BB was as well reviewedd as TDK or TDKR. I will have to check Rotten Tomatoes to see.

Anyways, back to the MoS topic - I am gonna stop reading reviews till I see the movie. Some of the reviews are giving away too much of the movie.

This. I read one review that made me angry as it didn't have any spoiler alert warnings and gave away a lot. I stopped after that point. Watching on Sunday in IMAX 3D.
post #745 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

My quick review:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I feel that Man of Steel is a really good origin story and a very good film, though it might be leaning more towards a summer blockbuster action flick.

I see where most reviewers/critics might dislike the film but to me I felt the action was pretty good throughout the whole film and concluding the giant showdown that really won't give you a chance to breath for the last 30-40 minutes of the film. Just when you thought the explotion couldn't get any bigger, it does. And I think that is exactly what a Superman film should be, hell it should be what every DC movies should be outside of Batman. Everything has to be spectacular and over the top because DC heroes (especially those in JLA) are just that much more powerful than their Marvel counterpart. I can see where critics can get tired and feel like less is more, I simply disagree. This is a Superman we need and deserve. It was all good and actually felt like a Superman fight, just pure destruction.

From the beginning in Krypton, it felt already action packed. I didn't expect Crowes part to be as big as it was. Then it moves to Clark and his flashbacks and yes the pacing was rushed but it seemed dull at times to some but I like it mixed with some actions. I like the way Snyder did it with the flashbacks than the traditional way of simply putting it in a chronological form. It really something that I didn't feel I needed to sit for again, Snyders way give you some actions and feats while explaining what made Clark the way he is. My guess is it had to be rushed or else the film might be 3 hours long, a Directors Cut with an additional 20-25 minutes might make it better paced. Overall, the faster paced of jumping from one scene to the other could have been handled better but it is somewhat in tune with the pace of the whole film.

It also felt like this origin film delves deeper into Clark/Kal Els inner side, Costner was great as his dad and really delivered in the scenes he is a part of. I hate it that critics gives MoS a negative for missing the charming version of Reeves, Cavills isn't exactly dark and he has a bit of that charm when Lois was in the interrogation room with him but it is nice to see him be more emotional than Reeves more suave version. His screams and struggles are a nice touch, he isn't perfect and still working is way through it. Just the flying part, dude was genuinely happy to fly smiling from ear to ear, exactly how I (and most of us) would be if we all of a sudden were able to fly. Hell even his reaction to his heat vision was great, he has to shake it off every time he uses it. It is a nice change to how he adapts to his powers. And speaking of Cavill, he isn't perfect acting-wise but built-wise, he is the best Superman there is for sure. Acting did felt a bit more robotic at times but Cavill pulled it off.

Cavills Superman isn't exactly dark or really that gritty either, it is still Superman in essence, just not a portrayal of Reeves as most seem to want to see. I personally do not since we already saw that in SR. Cavills Superman isn't exactly Batman with a dark past, though he is an orphan as well but he did grow up with great parents and I think you see that. I think the darkest part is just Pa Kent dying and Kal snapping Zods neck in the end. Also felt that reaction in the end was great on Cavills part, with that scream you can feel the resentment. I wish Lois wasn't there though to try and comfort him right away. Small nitpick.

Shannon as Zod is harder to judge, I thought he looked intimidating but he felt more powerful in the trailers. He was still a good villain but Faora seemed more bad-a$$. Shannon was still good though, I think. That final speech before the final throw down with Supes was good, I think it could have been delivered better though.

Crowe was great, surprisingly big role but he was very good.

Adams was ok as Lois, not perfect and she could have looked a bit better. You can see her age seeping through the screen, acting is on point but someone younger would have really been my choice after seeing the film. And speaking of Lois, her relationship with Clark is definitely different. I can see where the critics would not like it, it is a big change on how they meet but it isn't bad. I like it that it wasn't very sappy between the two though that random kiss could have been left out. I feel like it is a way to make you think everything is done so that Zod can be a bit of a surprise, didn't come off that way though. Not sure where the critics are saying there is no chemistry between Cavill and Adams (Clark & Lois) and that they do not interact enough, they were together on-screen more than enough. Overall, I like their relationship and the new take on it.

I was really impressed with the Krypton Snyder created, it is just stunning and I love it. My guess is from this point forward, this version of Krypton will be used in the comics more, it is simply amazing.

What I don't like, I hate, HATE it that Clark is just too casual with hie secret identity. it's like he just ignores his dads wishes when he just said that his dad died to protect his abilities from the public and dude just confesses to a priest. Then Lois finds out who he is right away (not bad since she is supposedly a Pulitzer Prized reporter) and just leads the cops of gave her a ride to Kents farm and you see Superman in full costume right there with Martha and TADAAAA!!!!! There he is Superman... in Kent farm... and the whole world knows Lois knows his true identity... Cover blown!

CGI was great but some parts did need some tweaking, some looked overly fake like I was watching Matrix Reloaded all over again.


I really do think the critics was very resistant with any change on the Superman story and just wants to see a retooling of Donner and Reeves version. I see it written all the time. I see what they are saying and understand that it is what they grew up with but I still managed to love this version. It isn't perfect, it is no TDK by any stretch but an new take on the origins of Superman it is and done well at that.

This is great. Very well sums up a lot of my thoughts. I'll add a few more specifics here:


Man of Steel Thoughts (Click to show)
Thought it was much stronger than Batman Begins, but not up to TDK. Score was great - love the new Superman motif, and that crazy "Zod" noise is just creepy.

My only WTF moment was as Clark is in the ship in the ice, frozen 20k years ago, and then all of a sudden Jor-El pops open the door and BOOM - there's the suit. Which I suppose isn't really a "Superman" suit anymore, but a House of El suit.

I really appreciated how frequently his Kryptonian name was used. Kal. And not Kal-El, because that would be like using someone's surname repeatedly when they're already identified.

I thought Russell Crowe was fantastic, and was very pleased that he was in more than just the "prequil" Krypton scenes. Thought it was an interesting twist to have him killed by Zod, and that they had a prior relationship too. Thought Lara was written off too quick as the planet explodes... You're a civilization spanning hundreds of thousands of years, sending ships to outposts across the galaxy, but you can't tell that your planet core is collapsing in on yourself? I realize Jor-El was the planet's greatest scientist, but...

Which also leads me to think that therefore, Kal would be very mentally acute - perhaps moreso than he's traditionally been portrayed. So, it was easier for me to breeze over Kal describing how to reopen the phantom zone for the anomaly, and how they'd need to drop his ship as a bomb, etc.

I loved Kevin Costner. There was the much maligned scene after Clark pushes the bus out of the lake where he asks "Should I have let them all die," and Jonathan replies, "Maybe." A lot of people thought that was way too dark for a Superman continuum. But in context, I thought Jonathan perfectly complimented Jor's pride in his son. I think Jonathan and Jor operate as a perfect yin-yang of influence on Kal's development and identity - both pride and action vs. caution and discipline, etc.

Twist on Jonathan dying in the tornado was cool. Thought that really served well to cement how much Jonathan believed in protecting his son from society.

Didn't really understand what the "Codex" was. It was a piece of a "missing link" skull from the dawn of Kryptonian civilization with little writing all over it? How did that dictate the genetic makeup of all Kryptonians for millenia? Thought it was cool that it was downloaded into Kal's DNA, making him all the more special and a true heir and progenitor of an entire civilization. And I totally felt the "test tube baby" part of the script coming on. Thought that was a great way of making Kal an outlaw from the getgo.

Also, Zod's motivation left me feeling very sympathetic towards him - especially when Clark takes down the Ice Ship, and Zod tells him he's effectively destroyed Krypton, the "you've taken my soul" line, as a being created solely for defending and advancing Krypton's interests. Very, very interesting.

The Christ-Kal references were many, and I liked them. I am religious, and have seen many of those in the previews, comics, and general Superman storyline; don't mind Snyder bringing them to the forefront of the mythology.

Very strong movie. Personally would have preferred just a bit more exposition and a little less mass destruction, but can understand why it was done as it was. Hopefully in MoS2, they'll play on relationships just a bit more, while also maintaining that Supes can kick butt.

Loved the "downed drone" scene at the end. "I know you're looking for where I hang my cape. Don't."
post #746 of 847
As with a lot of other remakes and reboots, it is probably best to let the movie stand (or in this case, fly) on its own merit without comparing it to any other source. This is how I intend to see it. Be a kid, make believe and enjoy the ride.
post #747 of 847
I went into the movie with little expectations, and was still somewhat disappointed...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The idea was so great, and with 2.5 hours they did so little. For an origin story it seemed so straight forward, and it seemed like there wasn't much in Superman's way.

I would have enjoyed a more expanded childhood and better pacing. They passed through the hardships of his life so quickly, i felt they held little value in his overall development. In contrast, Batman Begins has a terrific backstory and development on Bruce's part, it didn't seem as simple for him to become Batman, as compared to how simple Kal/Clark became Superman.

If anything, I would have enjoyed more Zod and Jor backstory. Michael Shannon was great, just wish the intensity of the trailers translated well into the movies, I feel it did not capture that sense of urgency and panic that the trailers emitted, and would have made the movie just that much better.

I guess what I'm saying is, it seemed like the movie was written and directed in easy mode.

It wasn't all bad though. I enjoyed the fact that Superman was considered an Alien amongst people, and that he and both his fathers were each pulling on his moral fibre of whether or not he should be a 'human' or be a super 'human' and lead mankind. I also loved the juxtaposition between Jor and Zod, Zod wasn't necessarily the bad guy, just a different viewpoint. It was nice to see him defend his decisions and actually have depth. I was surprised to see how much of Jor's approval he yearned for, he never hated Jor, but he definitely was frustrated at him for the decision he made.
post #748 of 847
Prequel comic is online: http://imgur.com/a/mMCZm


Mind blown!!!


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Read the comic before clicking the next spoiler...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Reveals who was in the empty pod on the ship.

post #749 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

I went into the movie with little expectations, and was still somewhat disappointed...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The idea was so great, and with 2.5 hours they did so little. For an origin story it seemed so straight forward, and it seemed like there wasn't much in Superman's way.

I would have enjoyed a more expanded childhood and better pacing. They passed through the hardships of his life so quickly, i felt they held little value in his overall development. In contrast, Batman Begins has a terrific backstory and development on Bruce's part, it didn't seem as simple for him to become Batman, as compared to how simple Kal/Clark became Superman.

If anything, I would have enjoyed more Zod and Jor backstory. Michael Shannon was great, just wish the intensity of the trailers translated well into the movies, I feel it did not capture that sense of urgency and panic that the trailers emitted, and would have made the movie just that much better.

I guess what I'm saying is, it seemed like the movie was written and directed in easy mode.

It wasn't all bad though. I enjoyed the fact that Superman was considered an Alien amongst people, and that he and both his fathers were each pulling on his moral fibre of whether or not he should be a 'human' or be a super 'human' and lead mankind. I also loved the juxtaposition between Jor and Zod, Zod wasn't necessarily the bad guy, just a different viewpoint. It was nice to see him defend his decisions and actually have depth. I was surprised to see how much of Jor's approval he yearned for, he never hated Jor, but he definitely was frustrated at him for the decision he made.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I agree with the pacing, it could have been better but I am not sure I agree that he had it easier to become Superman. It took the death of his dad to get to where he was as Clark and he sacrificed his whole species by choosing the humans over Kryptonians. Also keep in mind that his dad gave him the codex to start a new Krypton so that their species could live on but at the same time, JorEl wanted Kal to have his own choice. So on one end he has to practically kill any hopes of reviving his species to save his now home world but he also achieved what JorEl wanted from him. I think that is a tough choice and really made his character.

It also took a lot to be forced to kill, which we all know is very un-Superman-like. That scream of regret was a bit bone chilling because you see that regret. This is where it all starts and in the future films, they could easily show his resistance to killing or maybe even hurting someone.

There really are plenty to nitpick in the film though, I went to see it with my brother and he felt the start and flashbacks was a bit boring while I thought it wasn't because of the faster pace and the insertion of action scenes in between, which I found enjoyable and interesting. I also like the pace because really, we know who and what Superman is and I think Snyder just wanted to show what is different from what we already know. Ad Snyder and Goyer did change a lot to the chagrin of plenty of fans but I do think it sets up a Superman for the new generation. Most critics were looking for fun and joy in the film but while not brooding or overly dark, this film is definitely not the Donner/Reeves Superman that most critics wanted to see. Essential Superman is there and it is to build his character and that is why I had little to no problem with him killing Zod. It isn't his characteristic and you could see the resistance but he also has mistakes (he actually killed Zod in the comics too iirc) which leads to what Superman is. It also sets the tone of how far he would go to save humanity and that is a thin line he has to thread in the future.
post #750 of 847
Saw it today, I thought it was pretty good but the end felt a bit drawn out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Man of Steel (2013)