• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Often Do Random Strangers Start Up Conversations With You?

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
I hadn't really considered this, but I realized that recently just about every day, someone I don't know is inclined to start up a conversation with me. This happens pretty much anywhere: a sports event, the grocery store, or anywhere really. I live in a small town where people usually keep to themselves and people they've known for quite a while, which makes this even more unusual.

Do you think that perhaps we are in an era of unusual optimism? Is it because it's a new year? There is definitely something going on.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anytime I forget to turn on my icy glare.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I smoke, drink, wear sunglasses, have a semi permanent lack of expression on my face (often misconstrued as a frown), and am about a head taller than most everyone I encounter, so no, strangers do not initiate conversation, ever

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know that Ed will have fun with this, but men stop me in the street to tell me how good I look.
laugh.gif
Seriously though, I've had a few ask me who my tailor was or tell me that my overcoat is really nice... Seems to happen every 2-3 weeks. Don't think any of them were SFers... I wish women would do this more often instead of men.
frown.gif

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Everyday. I live in the South.

Same here...

wootx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
I smoke, drink, wear sunglasses, have a semi permanent lack of expression on my face (often misconstrued as a frown), and am about a head taller than most everyone I encounter, so no, strangers do not initiate conversation, ever

That's how we roll...

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
I hear Austin, TX is one of the friendliest cities in the US. Is this correct?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Not often, but people always ask me for help when I'm inside a store as if I'm an employee. Dressing a peg above the lowest rung must give folks impression that I know where the restrooms and food processors are.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quite frequently, especially when I'm out walking my dog. Greyhounds draw attention, apparently.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest reasons why I love NYC is because people don't do stuff like that.....
ffffuuuu.gif

imschatz

Reaction score
Pretty common here. Never get interrupted, but if I'm standing around waiting for the bus, or waiting in line at the grocer .. it's considered polite to at least acknowledge the people around you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads