or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Lets talk Homemade Pizza
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets talk Homemade Pizza - Page 3

post #31 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Break the lock on your cleaning cycle.

+1
post #32 of 96
Having made pizza dough a hundred times, now I usually just buy store bought dough and grill it.
post #33 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
I think this is largely a myth. The dough is the hardest part.

I don't think you have ever had a true Neapolitan pizza. The ultra-high heat makes the bottom charred, the exterior crispy and the interior chewy and moist.
post #34 of 96
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post
I don't think you have ever had a true Neapolitan pizza. The ultra-high heat makes the bottom charred, the exterior crispy and the interior chewy and moist.

I'm reading that there are effective ways to mimic that taste. That said, there are many other great kinds of pizza to be made.
post #35 of 96
Summer down here so i have been cooking them in my webber using a pizza stone.

Any topping recomendations? a couple of my recent favourites

Proscuito, goats cheese amd thyme
Rosmary, olive oil, salt
fillet steak, onions, cream cheese
caramalised onions, olives, anchovies
post #36 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post
I don't think you have ever had a true Neapolitan pizza. The ultra-high heat makes the bottom charred, the exterior crispy and the interior chewy and moist.

i would have thought the quality ingredients would also be hard to track down...

day old vine ripened heirloom variety tomatos grown in volcanic soil for example
post #37 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Having made pizza dough a hundred times, now I usually just buy store bought dough and grill it.

this.

Tjs plain dough rested for a couple hrs and grilled=close to perfection
post #38 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
That said, there are many other great kinds of pizza to be made.
I enjoyed one the other night ... topped with grapes (red and green), caramelized onion, & chevre.
post #39 of 96
I'm getting really good at making Neapolitan pizza. You need fresh mozzarella and a very simple sauce: quality crushed tomatoes, salt, garlic, oil. Then top it with basil and red pepper flakes. I like Pecorino Romano instead of Parmesan if I use grated cheese. A pizza peal helps tremendously and a stone is a must.
post #40 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
Can these be had at Home Depot?

I dont know. I only heard that bit of advice after I had already purchased an expensive pizza stone.
post #41 of 96
Heres a really good, albeit long, read about homemade pizza making: http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php good resource also

I've been meaning to start making pizzas myself but I've got a few snags I've hit I need to sort out before I really make anything. Firstly, I can't find any sourdough starter anywhere locally, only one little store has it and its always out of stock so I might just get some online. Secondly, since I'm on campus and don't have the option of rigging the selfcleaning mode on their oven, I can't cook at ideal temps. To help deal with that I was gonna probably try to make a more NY style pizza but I also can't find any decent high protein flour locally (ideally Sir Lancelot King Arthur flour), so I'll probably have to go online for that too.

On the other hand I do have a place within 10 minutes that has imported buffala mozzerella so once I get the dough and oven settings to where I need I should be able to make some pretty fucking nice pizzas, which is nice since in this podunk town theres nowhere to get a good one.
post #42 of 96
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaldrake View Post
Heres a really good, albeit long, read about homemade pizza making: http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php good resource also

I've been meaning to start making pizzas myself but I've got a few snags I've hit I need to sort out before I really make anything. Firstly, I can't find any sourdough starter anywhere locally, only one little store has it and its always out of stock so I might just get some online. Secondly, since I'm on campus and don't have the option of rigging the selfcleaning mode on their oven, I can't cook at ideal temps. To help deal with that I was gonna probably try to make a more NY style pizza but I also can't find any decent high protein flour locally (ideally Sir Lancelot King Arthur flour), so I'll probably have to go online for that too.

On the other hand I do have a place within 10 minutes that has imported buffala mozzerella so once I get the dough and oven settings to where I need I should be able to make some pretty fucking nice pizzas, which is nice since in this podunk town theres nowhere to get a good one.

I've read that if you're making NY style pizza you don't need the authentic buffalo style mozza. All you need is mozza that you grate yourself from the grocery store. Have you seen Kenji's writeup on good eats? As far as I'm concerned....it is the best I've seen.
post #43 of 96
Said it in the last homemade pizza threak: secret to the dough is to have it rise overnight in the fridge. It's how to get the really good gluten network thing going so you can stretch the dough into a "window pane." Crispy and thin yet chewy is the goal.

After you knead your dough, get it in a nice ball, coat with olive oil, place in large bowl and then lay plastic wrap over top so it is in contact with the dough but has excess on the sides, so that as the dough rises, the plastic will maintain contact.
post #44 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Said it in the last homemade pizza threak: secret to the dough is to have it rise overnight in the fridge. It's how to get the really good gluten network thing going so you can stretch the dough into a "window pane." Crispy and thin yet chewy is the goal.

After you knead your dough, get it in a nice ball, coat with olive oil, place in large bowl and then lay plastic wrap over top so it is in contact with the dough but has excess on the sides, so that as the dough rises, the plastic will maintain contact.

Reinhart talks about this point in his book and describes in great detail the window pane test. I've found we have had greater success when we use our grill than when using our oven.
post #45 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscolari View Post
Reinhart talks about this point in his book and describes in great detail the window pane test. I've found we have had greater success when we use our grill than when using our oven.

I haven't made pizza in well over a year, due to my dietary changes, but I would put a pizza stone in the often at 500 and let it heat for 45-60 minutes. Pizza would only take about eight minutes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Lets talk Homemade Pizza