or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Offical Barbour Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Offical Barbour Thread - Page 47

post #691 of 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guus View Post

Is the liner for classic Bedale need?

Think it depends on what kind of weather you are looking to use it for.
post #692 of 2511
Can someone help me with sizing? I am interested in a simple jacket, waxed, with not too much going on. I am eyeing the Beaufort, Bedale, or Ashby. I am a 39" chest, 5'8" 165 lbs so not skinny. About medium. I live in California so the coldest it gets here is maybe high 30's. My city is actually temperate so we hardly see cold. I can see myself wearing this over a suit if I am in NY or SF and going out to eat, or in town and going to a charity function. This is going to be pretty rare though. I really just want it for the looks.
post #693 of 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

Can someone help me with sizing? I am interested in a simple jacket, waxed, with not too much going on. I am eyeing the Beaufort, Bedale, or Ashby. I am a 39" chest, 5'8" 165 lbs so not skinny. About medium. I live in California so the coldest it gets here is maybe high 30's. My city is actually temperate so we hardly see cold. I can see myself wearing this over a suit if I am in NY or SF and going out to eat, or in town and going to a charity function. This is going to be pretty rare though. I really just want it for the looks.

Depends where you hold your weight...but Im about the same size and wear medium.
post #694 of 2511
How do you normally wear it? Does it look funny if you don't layer it over a bunch of clothes? What if you just had a henley on and it on top? Does it look like you're swimming in it?

Also, what size does medium correspond to? Some sites/models are listed as S, M, L etc and some have numbers like 36, 38, 40 etc
post #695 of 2511
M is 38-40.

If you don't plan on wearing it over thick sweater or suits, go with 38. Otherwise, go with 40. Or just go with M.
post #696 of 2511

Just wanted to add some info about the free Re-Proofing events at Barbour stores (Nov 3 in Boston). I stopped by the Boston store recently to inquire about the logistics. I was under the false assumption that you show up, wait for your jacket to be rewaxed and go home happy. After a conversation with the barbour folks, it's clear I was a bit naive. The events are very well attended so only the first few in the cue can actually get their jackets back the same day. All others will be sent to NH for re-proofing.

 

The good thing is that standard re-proofing takes 4-6 weeks to turnaround. Jackets that are submitted during these re-proofing events only take a couple of weeks. For this reason, I will definitely be dropping off my Flyweight Sapper. It's not the $30 savings that is so appealing but rather the quick turnaround. I'd hate to be without my Barbour for a month or more this time of year...and I don't have the patience to do it myself.

post #697 of 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guus View Post

I just tried ordering and the currency convergence was correct however my bank declined it twice. What's strange is, the website sent an email confirming the order. Is this normal? Probably should've used paypal.
Update: So I tried reordering with bestinthecountry and it was a no go. Had problems with both my Bank and Paypal. Ordered instead from Country Attire and it was a breeze. Got a free scarf to go with it too,
Anyway, I bought a Classic Bedale in 36". I usually wear a medium and i figured it adds extra room for under layers so I sized down compared to 38-40 measurements medium sizes are usually at. Got the hood to and I'm looking forward to it.
BTW, Country Attire gave me free shipping which I'm spectacle about because it is an international shipment. Will they honor this price?

Hey Guus,

How has the order gone?  Did they honor the free shipping?  Thinking of ordering a jacket from country attire and wanted to see what you thought of them.

 

Thanks,

Chris

post #698 of 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Think it depends on what kind of weather you are looking to use it for.

If you are anywhere cold, yes. The waxed cotton is surprisingly not as warm as the coat's weight would suggest.
post #699 of 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPaul View Post

Hey Guus,
How has the order gone?  Did they honor the free shipping?  Thinking of ordering a jacket from country attire and wanted to see what you thought of them.

Thanks,
Chris

I bought a Barbour "New Utility" from Country Attire a couple of years ago and had it mailed to NYC for free. Thing was they didn't discount the VAT which should have come to ~$60 off the retail price. Was still cheaper than buying from the US though, and I too got a free scarf!
post #700 of 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

If you are anywhere cold, yes. The waxed cotton is surprisingly not as warm as the coat's weight would suggest.

Again cold is subjective here. I can wear my Chelsea sportquilt down to about 40 degrees with just a dress and undershirt on under it. Any colder I will throw on a sweater underneath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

I bought a Barbour "New Utility" from Country Attire a couple of years ago and had it mailed to NYC for free. Thing was they didn't discount the VAT which should have come to ~$60 off the retail price. Was still cheaper than buying from the US though, and I too got a free scarf!

Not getting the VAT taken off would be a huge deal to me even if they threw in a free scarf.
post #701 of 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Not getting the VAT taken off would be a huge deal to me even if they threw in a free scarf.

To be fair, it was very quick international shipping - think it was 2 days? Pissed me off at the time but like I said, it still came out cheaper than buying in the US.
post #702 of 2511
I would have mixed feelings about that. As a matter of principal and legality, they shouldn't be collecting VAT from a US customer. It doesn't make sense. But I guess in a pure "do you come out ahead" standpoint, you probably are ok. I wonder why they are unprofessional? Figuring out billing and VAT is not rocket science and based on their website, it looks like they have been doing this (online sales) for a while.
post #703 of 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

I bought a Barbour "New Utility" from Country Attire a couple of years ago and had it mailed to NYC for free. Thing was they didn't discount the VAT which should have come to ~$60 off the retail price. Was still cheaper than buying from the US though, and I too got a free scarf!

In the shopping cart, didn't it show you whether VAT is taken off or not before you commited?
post #704 of 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post

In the shopping cart, didn't it show you whether VAT is taken off or not before you commited?

Yeah - it showed that it hadn't been taken off. Like I said, I wasn't too fussed because it came out cheaper than buying from the US anyway. However, if they had tried to charge both VAT and postage, I would have told them to go swivel.
post #705 of 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPaul View Post

Hey Guus,
How has the order gone?  Did they honor the free shipping?  Thinking of ordering a jacket from country attire and wanted to see what you thought of them.

Thanks,
Chris

They did honor the free shipping, but my bank (BoA) charged 11$ in bank fees for buying and converging to pounds. They sent me a tracking info and it is land side, but I'm still waiting. I give them my recommendations. They are sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Offical Barbour Thread