or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Offical Barbour Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Offical Barbour Thread - Page 46

post #676 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilo View Post

Oh I'll definitely do it myself... just wanted to make sure that using the barbour wax is the way to go to get that waxy almost leathery sheen
as so

Here's mine post wax:


post #677 of 2664
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Here's mine post wax:


Argentino, that looks awesome, better than from the factory!

do you actually bring the wax to a boil to get this result?
what did you use to apply it?
how many coats?
tutorial time!
post #678 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I'd probably go 42 if you are going to layer it at all... 40 would almost certainly be too small in that case and probably even if you don't layer.
If you do a Heritage/Tokito, those are seriously slim fit.


Ok, so it looks like I'm going to go for the 42. If it turns out to be a little too full, can barbour's tailoring services take in the sides?
post #679 of 2664
do any one have or experienced with the Barbour Down Explorer? I am thinking about buying it for the winter.

http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbour-Down-Explorer-Jacket.html
post #680 of 2664
^I'm also interested.
post #681 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazaza View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Argentino, that looks awesome, better than from the factory!
do you actually bring the wax to a boil to get this result?
what did you use to apply it?
how many coats?
tutorial time!

I put the wax in a small pot on the stove, about 1/2 full of water, brought the water to a boil. This melted the wax down inside the container, and I let that heat up until fairly warm (wax not boiling, water yes). Laid the jacket out flat on my countertop and used old socks to lathe the wax over the jacket, spreading it really well. My mom and I worked on it together while the rest of the family was out Christmas shopping. Really, really great memory.

We laid on the wax pretty thick - I used probably about 3/4 of the tin in one waxing, but we also applied it fairly quickly so that it had time to set on the jacket. It's difficult to get it all down before it starts to set - having the wax warmer helps, but that's where my mother and extra hands helped a lot too. You don't want to allow the jacket to lie on itself at all, and that you get every single surface, down in pocket seams, everywhere.

After it was all on, I hung it up in the laundry room for maybe a day and half to make sure it was as dry as it could be. Came out really well. If you need anything else clarified, do let me know.
post #682 of 2664
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

I put the wax in a small pot on the stove, about 1/2 full of water, brought the water to a boil. This melted the wax down inside the container, and I let that heat up until fairly warm (wax not boiling, water yes). Laid the jacket out flat on my countertop and used old socks to lathe the wax over the jacket, spreading it really well. My mom and I worked on it together while the rest of the family was out Christmas shopping. Really, really great memory.
We laid on the wax pretty thick - I used probably about 3/4 of the tin in one waxing, but we also applied it fairly quickly so that it had time to set on the jacket. It's difficult to get it all down before it starts to set - having the wax warmer helps, but that's where my mother and extra hands helped a lot too. You don't want to allow the jacket to lie on itself at all, and that you get every single surface, down in pocket seams, everywhere.
After it was all on, I hung it up in the laundry room for maybe a day and half to make sure it was as dry as it could be. Came out really well. If you need anything else clarified, do let me know.

this is super helpful, thank you!

one thing:

I understand you laid the jacket flat, did you let that side dry (as in hanging it up for awhile) before flipping it over and doing the other?
post #683 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazaza View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
this is super helpful, thank you!
one thing:
I understand you laid the jacket flat, did you let that side dry (as in hanging it up for awhile) before flipping it over and doing the other?

I opened it up and laid it flat as I went. Essentially counter acted like an ironing board, starting on one front side, continuing over the back, and then ending with the other front panel. Letting it hang allowed it to remain uncreased for the most part.
post #684 of 2664
regarding reproofing a barbour wax jacket, I believe if you search in youtube there is an official barbour video showing u how to reproofing. I havent tried yet tho.
post #685 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Lama View Post

So I'm about to pull that trigger on a Beaufort jacket and have a sizing question. I've read through all the pages of the tread and the consensus seems to be to stick to your suit size or size down one size. My issue is I am a 44r and tried on a co-workers jacket in the same size and I was swimming in it. So I am on the fence as to if I should order a 42 or go down to a 40? I guess my real question is, is sizing down 2 too much? Unfortunately I don't have store nearby to go in and try on jackets. Thanks!

I'm a 42R suit and went for a 42 in the beaufort - it's roomy (can wear it over a sports jacket or a thick sweater) but the sleeves are spot on. Sizing down one if you want a slimmer fit should be okay, but I think unless you're fairly short in the sleeves 2 would be too much.
post #686 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

I opened it up and laid it flat as I went. Essentially counter acted like an ironing board, starting on one front side, continuing over the back, and then ending with the other front panel. Letting it hang allowed it to remain uncreased for the most part.

Nice job.
post #687 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post

I'm a 42R suit and went for a 42 in the beaufort - it's roomy (can wear it over a sports jacket or a thick sweater) but the sleeves are spot on. Sizing down one if you want a slimmer fit should be okay, but I think unless you're fairly short in the sleeves 2 would be too much.

I'd agree w/ this. My International is a 42, and rather roomy on it's own but layers well. If I got the 40 it'd be too short in the sleeves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post

Nice job.

Thanks!
post #688 of 2664
Does barbour X ToKiTo have different sizing? I have a military jacket in small and its shoulder measures apparently 17.3 inches.. which I am totally fine with biggrin.gif
post #689 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceoceo View Post

Does barbour X ToKiTo have different sizing? I have a military jacket in small and its shoulder measures apparently 17.3 inches.. which I am totally fine with biggrin.gif

Much slimmer...
post #690 of 2664
Is the liner for classic Bedale need?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Offical Barbour Thread