or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Offical Barbour Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Offical Barbour Thread - Page 135

post #2011 of 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwendland View Post


I feel like I've answered this question a thousand times on here, but yes, it is warm.  I highly recommend it.

Thanks. I hadn't seen comments on this, although I confess to not feeling up to trawling through every page of this thread. I did google, which I find often works better than the search function, and found little.

I only hesitate in buying the pile because then I'd have no use for the quilted liner. I hate the idea of having wasted my money.
post #2012 of 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Office Hack View Post

Thanks. I hadn't seen comments on this, although I confess to not feeling up to trawling through every page of this thread. I did google, which I find often works better than the search function, and found little.

I only hesitate in buying the pile because then I'd have no use for the quilted liner. I hate the idea of having wasted my money.

You can always try selling your current liner on SF or eBay to re-coop some of the cost.
post #2013 of 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

Anyone own/tried on the Bedford? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It says "classic fit" but am not sure what that really means. I have a medium in the Ashby and it wears a bit tight, especially in the shoulder. However, the Ashby is a "modern cut." So I'm wondering if I should stick with a medium or size up. For reference I generally hover between a medium and large, with around a 41" chest...

Any insight?

Figured I'd follow-up for posterity's sake. Went to Orvis yesterday to try on the Bedford. Thing fits like a burlap bag. The Medium was about a size too big (weird considering I have 19" shoulders). It looked like I borrowed my dad's jacket. They didn't have a small, but judging by the way it fit in certain places, I assume that would look just as off. The green color was also far more intense in real life. Far greener than any of the waxed jackets, it looked extremely synthetic to my eye (makes sense, considering it is all polyester, but I figured it would at least look nice in person...) All-in-all, if you're considering the Bedford, I'd shy away.
post #2014 of 2469

I remember someone was asking about the Chelsea a few days ago. I got it in a S and a M so I could decide what size fit me best. I'm 5'8" 165 lbs with an athletic build so my shoulders and chest are a bit bigger than usual. I normally wear a 38R in most suit jackets and end up having to have the chest let out a tad. 

 

Here's the small:

 

post #2015 of 2469

And the medium:

 

post #2016 of 2469
Not a huge difference but i think the small is a bit more flattering to your form so id go with that
post #2017 of 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post

I remember someone was asking about the Chelsea a few days ago. I got it in a S and a M so I could decide what size fit me best. I'm 5'8" 165 lbs with an athletic build so my shoulders and chest are a bit bigger than usual. I normally wear a 38R in most suit jackets and end up having to have the chest let out a tad. 

Here's the small:





Very nice jacket
post #2018 of 2469
I asked about it. Thanks for replying. Looks great on you. So how warm is it? Good for spring/fall?
Edited by Guus - 1/28/14 at 5:25pm
post #2019 of 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoytko View Post

Not a huge difference but i think the small is a bit more flattering to your form so id go with that

Thanks. The small is what I decided to go with based on my wife's opinion. It's a bit snug when I try crossing my arms like I'm hugging myself but bedsides that it fits better in every other aspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guus View Post

I asked about it. Thanks for replying. Looks great on you. So how warm is it? Good for spring/fall?

That's what I plan on using it for. It should work fine for that here in the DC area.
post #2020 of 2469

Picked up a Norton collaboration Barra jacket and it really is a thing of beauty. Worth checking the UK sales as remaining stock seems to be heavily marked down

 

 

Some nice touches

 

 

And the fit

 

 

 

It's a great jacket and it's more of a subtle head-turner (if you follow me) in real life than the pics suggest. Despite its heft, it's not a jacket for the winter unless you're layering underneath -  I was actually surprised at this but happy nonetheless because it'll get a lot more wear now.

 

Only thing worth noting is that the wax has a very different smell to the usual thornproof odour. It's almost greasy, and the label inside states that there is a non-textile component of animal parts, which might account for for the smell. I'm going to drop Barbour a line during the week to ask about it...

post #2021 of 2469
That Barra looks good.
Barney's has the sand version for $309 right now.
post #2022 of 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

That Barra looks good.
Barney's has the sand version for $309 right now.

 

That's a decent price for a quality piece of kit. I paid £250 for that, which was half original retail anyway. Not so impressed with the new season's Norton stuff, but I do like the Pantone collaboration quilts that are out now - I've a few quilted wool Mackintosh jackets though so will be passing.

 

I'll try and get some pics up next weekend of the other Barbours I've got.

post #2023 of 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post
 

Picked up a Norton collaboration Barra jacket and it really is a thing of beauty. Worth checking the UK sales as remaining stock seems to be heavily marked down

 

Some nice touches

 

And the fit

 

It's a great jacket and it's more of a subtle head-turner (if you follow me) in real life than the pics suggest. Despite its heft, it's not a jacket for the winter unless you're layering underneath -  I was actually surprised at this but happy nonetheless because it'll get a lot more wear now.

 

Only thing worth noting is that the wax has a very different smell to the usual thornproof odour. It's almost greasy, and the label inside states that there is a non-textile component of animal parts, which might account for for the smell. I'm going to drop Barbour a line during the week to ask about it...

 

Jacket looks great and a nice little write up.  

 

I got the St. Kilda a couple of weeks ago.  Olive color.  Bit boxy, but that's the look of the coat and a great looking piece.  Really screams Barbour heritage to me.  Love that it's double breasted but that one row of buttons is hidden under the placket.  Love the olive color too and the way the "wear marks" look on that particular color in particular.  And as you say, some nice touches.  Sadly those nice touches, like the leather bits and the plaid tartan lining aren't visible unless you're not wearing the coat.  One detail that you can see that I like is the contrasting fabric at the cuffs.  

 

I agree, definitely not a jacket for the Winter months.  Much more an Autumn and Spring piece.  That's one point about the AW collection that sets it apart from the SS collection as well.  Much more versatile as regards the outerwear.  The SS collection is IMO too bright for Autumn.  Of course that's not to mention the SS collection doesn't look nearly as nice as the AW collection.  Looks noticeably cheaper in fact.  

 

Definitely a different smell to the wax.  I actually like it.  While it's waxy, I have a couple of To Ki Tos that are as waxy.  

 

Got the Barra in sand, from Barney's in fact, last week.  Wasn't as chuffed about it as I was the St. Kilda.  In fact I was going to return it, but tried it on again yesterday and decided it's a keeper.  Not as nice as the olive St. Kilda, but it's grown on me.  Definitely use the tabs at the back to make it less boxy, and when I say boxy folks make no mistake I'm not some SF waif.  Also have the St. Kilda in navy on the way.  Still perhaps the best piece in the collection is the Uist.  Not many shops seem to have carried it and I only know of one shop that still has it left.  I almost grabbed it from Philip Browne, but they wanted 55 quid to ship to the States which is absolutely ridiculous.  Anyway, while the coat looks amazing, it's probably the least everyday looking of them.  

 

While I'm still sad to the see the departure of Tokihito and while Dept. B hasn't lived up to the work he did, I do welcome the Norton & Sons aesthetic.  SS14 looks very disappointing, but if AW14 is near AW13 it'll be good.  

post #2024 of 2469

A couple of Barbour notes based on recent discussion:

 

-SL Bedale is very similar in fit to the Ashby.  I didn't notice a big difference in fit at all.  Biggest difference was the fit at the armhole.  SL Bedale was noticeably smaller as it had a higher armhole.  I don't have huge shoulders, but I have bigger shoulders and I could definitely feel it there.  More so at the front of the shoulder and just under the arm.  The body didn't seem much slimmer, but there was a span of two weeks between from when I tried on the Ashby to when I tried the SL Bedale.  I would think the SL Bedale is slightly slimmer.  I tried a medium in the Ashby and a 40 in the SL Bedale.

 

-For those interested in the McQueen Rexton, you may want to check out the McQueen Baker.  Not too far off in terms of the styling and detail.  Of course it doesn't have that worn and distressed look.  However if you get the Baker in the sandstone color it will probably break in some and get a bit of a worn look, but not to the extent of the Rexton.  Haven't tried the Rexton yet, but the Baker is a nice jacket.  

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post
 

 

That's a decent price for a quality piece of kit. I paid £250 for that, which was half original retail anyway. Not so impressed with the new season's Norton stuff, but I do like the Pantone collaboration quilts that are out now - I've a few quilted wool Mackintosh jackets though so will be passing.

 

I'll try and get some pics up next weekend of the other Barbours I've got.

 

Pantone collaboration looks nice, but that top button... ugh.  Sure they don't match up to a Mackintosh though.  Speaking of quilted Barbours, the Japanese SL version looks nice as does the Spey fishing version.  The latter looks a bit traditional, but with a spey detail (and special label inside). 

 

I'd be interested in seeing what you have.  I'm rather addicted to outerwear and have quite a few pieces myself.  The metal bar that holds my Barbours in my closet crashed the other day, but I didn't have it securely in the wall.  Was worried I'd have to get rid of some.  Anyway, I've only got pieces from the past two years.  

post #2025 of 2469
I probably should have asked before ordering from Barney's, but how's the fit on that Barra?
I went by the measurements on End.
Code:
             Pit to Pit      Back    Shoulder        Arm
Small           20.5"      27.5"      17"        19"
Medium          22"        28.5"      17.5"      19.5"
Large           23"        29.5"      18"        20"
X-Large         24"        30.5"      19"        21"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Offical Barbour Thread