or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Offical Barbour Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Offical Barbour Thread - Page 118

post #1756 of 2507

AGAIN, I'M STILL VERY INTERESTED IN AN AW12 TO KI TO HIDCOTE IN SIZE LARGE if anyone has one.  Used or new.  PM me if you ever get this message.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post


thanks man - youre very helpful. im trying track down a spey fishing jacket in olive tweed, also from fw12 i believe. also regarding size, did you go tts or size up one? I took a large (im tts L) in the scott bracken jacket and its a comfortable fit with the liner. Dont think I could layer a sweater though. Considering going with an XL in the spey

 

Oh man.  Don't even get me started.  You'll have to pardon my language, but I love that ****ing coat.  However it drives me absolutely nuts.  

 

I'm a large in the Bracken and in general terms a medium to large, general being say J. Crew shirts in a regular fit.  I have the Bracken, with liner, in a Large as well.  I'm 5'10", 33 waist and 43" chest.  That's slimmed down some since last winter and still slimming down.  Problem with any large for me is the sleeve length and sometimes the body length.  I'm fine with the fit of the Bracken, but I had the sleeves slightly shortened.  I did have it with a shirt and sweater the other day and it was slightly snug, but overall comfortable and didn't feel or look too tight.  

 

As for the tweed Spey, it's a great coat.  Tweed on the Bracken fills a bit more "stiff" and dense, but we're talking marginal here, at least with the density.  Also, the lining is slightly different as it's synthetic and more "satin" feeling where as the Bracken is cotton.  Overall the coat looks great and I won't go into too many details, but I really love the lower pockets because you have side slots where you can slide your hands in and they're HUGE pockets.

 

As for sizing, I'd love to hear what your experience is in the end.  I think it's an impossible fit without alterations, and even then you'd need some sort of master tailor.  The large fits me well pretty much everywhere except in the shoulders.  I've tried more than one large too.  It's snug in the front upper corner of the shoulder.  It's actually the seam for the sleeve and the high armhole itself which I can feel where the seam meets the top of the shoulder down to where the seam goes under the arm.  I've slimmed down a bit, but still my shoulders are substantial enough that I can feel this and it's bothersome to the extent that I can feel it after I've taken it off.  And all this is with a t-shirt on.  The rest of it, even pit-to-pit (I think, though it's tough to say since you feel that seam at the armhole), looks and fits fine.  Sizing up to the extra large doesn't work though.  It may work for you if your'e 6'2" or taller, but there are two problems.  The pockets move down slightly and look off.  Functionally, the lower pocket is fine for my hands as it's not a reach if you will.  However the upper pockets look too low to me.  The bigger second problem though is the fit.  While it fits fine in the shoulders and the armhole, the body is just way too boxy.  Now this is where a tailor could come in.  There are two seams on each side (so four seams overall) that IMHO could be altered.  You could either of the matching seams (so alter one seam on one side and it's matching seam on other side).  Holding it in the mirror this way though throws the look off for me.  It either brings the back in too much (if you use the seam slightly to the back) or pulls the pockets too far towards the back (which IMO is the lesser of the two evils) if you alter just the more front seam (which is directly under the pit).  So I would recommend altering both seams on each side (all four seams) if one decides to go this route.  JUST NOTE that if you alter any of the seams, there is a bottom cord pull at the very bottom of the coat that would have to be cut.  Also, the amazing thing about the XL is that the sleeve length still works.  

 

I wish you the best of luck with the coat if you get one.  I'm selling my large for sure if your'e interested.  You can just PM me.  Anyway, it's one of the best To Ki To's I own or have seen in terms of the look of the coat.  Just a shame that the fit is IMHO off.  It's funny too because sooo many people are all about the Sport jacket/Commander when AW12 To Ki To had so many great coats.  Don't get me wrong, I like the Bond jacket (though I think it's be just like the tweed Spey in terms of fitting it), but plenty of others there to choose from.  The sweater/sweater jackets were great as well.  The Hudson half zip.  I think you might find one of those here or there.  

post #1757 of 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post


from the site: 100% Waterproof Laminated Shetland Wool Construction

thanks Z. glad I can still find this stuff before its too late

 

Another note on the Spey and to this point, it has a special tag that says "waterproof/breathable".  I think down largely to the lining, but probably to the tweed some as well.

post #1758 of 2507

Barbour experts:

 

Is this Border, which I picked up at a thrift store for, um, $20, too long? I know it's a tad bit tight, but I'll work on that. It seemed worth it.

 

Only two royal warrants on the inner tag would make this in the 82-87 range, I think. 

 

 

 

 

 

post #1759 of 2507
I have considered Barbour coat, tufted kind, as a walking coat ,but after trying 3 different models in two sizes I came to conclusion that they are not flattering and generally fit like a paper bag.
I dont' get this Barbour thing. Their coats are not even that well made, material is drab and their coated cotton cloth is just plain ugly.
post #1760 of 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

I have considered Barbour coat, tufted kind, as a walking coat ,but after trying 3 different models in two sizes I came to conclusion that they are not flattering and generally fit like a paper bag.
I dont' get this Barbour thing. Their coats are not even that well made, material is drab and their coated cotton cloth is just plain ugly.

The To ki to line is very fitted and with lots of interesting details.

As for the regular line, the fascination is hard to articulate. I will try though. They look pretty good on me, they last forever, I mean you can own a Bedale or Beaufort for easily 20yrs. You will have to reproof or send it out to be done but that is a bit of the appeal. The waxed cotton gives off a pleasant scent in the sun I find. I dunno, it is just a nice change from goretex. Other SF members, help!
post #1761 of 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnutter66 View Post

The To ki to line is very fitted and with lots of interesting details.

As for the regular line, the fascination is hard to articulate. I will try though. They look pretty good on me, they last forever, I mean you can own a Bedale or Beaufort for easily 20yrs. You will have to reproof or send it out to be done but that is a bit of the appeal. The waxed cotton gives off a pleasant scent in the sun I find. I dunno, it is just a nice change from goretex. Other SF members, help!

James Bond wears it, therefore we should too.
post #1762 of 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post

Barbour experts:

Is this Border, which I picked up at a thrift store for, um, $20, too long? I know it's a tad bit tight, but I'll work on that. It seemed worth it.

Only two royal warrants on the inner tag would make this in the 82-87 range, I think. 









Looks to fit very good from here Jon
post #1763 of 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

I have considered Barbour coat, tufted kind, as a walking coat ,but after trying 3 different models in two sizes I came to conclusion that they are not flattering and generally fit like a paper bag.
I dont' get this Barbour thing. Their coats are not even that well made, material is drab and their coated cotton cloth is just plain ugly.

I agree that some of the pieces can be ill fitting but I don't get the "not well made" comment. Every piece I've owned / currently own is tough as nails.

What would you recommend as a better option?
post #1764 of 2507
not a fan of the fit of the classic barbour - agree that its too large - fortunately the tokito, heritage beacon and dept b combine the modern cut with sacrificing any mobility
post #1765 of 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

I agree that some of the pieces can be ill fitting but I don't get the "not well made" comment. Every piece I've owned / currently own is tough as nails.

What would you recommend as a better option?

belstaff is comprable. RRL and nanamica is great too but youll be hardpressed to find anything in the same price range
post #1766 of 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA View Post

Oh man.  Don't even get me started.  You'll have to pardon my language, but I love that ****ing coat.  However it drives me absolutely nuts.  

I'm a large in the Bracken and in general terms a medium to large, general being say J. Crew shirts in a regular fit.  I have the Bracken, with liner, in a Large as well.  I'm 5'10", 33 waist and 43" chest.  That's slimmed down some since last winter and still slimming down.  Problem with any large for me is the sleeve length and sometimes the body length.  I'm fine with the fit of the Bracken, but I had the sleeves slightly shortened.  I did have it with a shirt and sweater the other day and it was slightly snug, but overall comfortable and didn't feel or look too tight.  

As for the tweed Spey, it's a great coat.  Tweed on the Bracken fills a bit more "stiff" and dense, but we're talking marginal here, at least with the density.  Also, the lining is slightly different as it's synthetic and more "satin" feeling where as the Bracken is cotton.  Overall the coat looks great and I won't go into too many details, but I really love the lower pockets because you have side slots where you can slide your hands in and they're HUGE pockets.

As for sizing, I'd love to hear what your experience is in the end.  I think it's an impossible fit without alterations, and even then you'd need some sort of master tailor.  The large fits me well pretty much everywhere except in the shoulders.  I've tried more than one large too.  It's snug in the front upper corner of the shoulder.  It's actually the seam for the sleeve and the high armhole itself which I can feel where the seam meets the top of the shoulder down to where the seam goes under the arm.  I've slimmed down a bit, but still my shoulders are substantial enough that I can feel this and it's bothersome to the extent that I can feel it after I've taken it off.  And all this is with a t-shirt on.  The rest of it, even pit-to-pit (I think, though it's tough to say since you feel that seam at the armhole), looks and fits fine.  Sizing up to the extra large doesn't work though.  It may work for you if your'e 6'2" or taller, but there are two problems.  The pockets move down slightly and look off.  Functionally, the lower pocket is fine for my hands as it's not a reach if you will.  However the upper pockets look too low to me.  The bigger second problem though is the fit.  While it fits fine in the shoulders and the armhole, the body is just way too boxy.  Now this is where a tailor could come in.  There are two seams on each side (so four seams overall) that IMHO could be altered.  You could either of the matching seams (so alter one seam on one side and it's matching seam on other side).  Holding it in the mirror this way though throws the look off for me.  It either brings the back in too much (if you use the seam slightly to the back) or pulls the pockets too far towards the back (which IMO is the lesser of the two evils) if you alter just the more front seam (which is directly under the pit).  So I would recommend altering both seams on each side (all four seams) if one decides to go this route.  JUST NOTE that if you alter any of the seams, there is a bottom cord pull at the very bottom of the coat that would have to be cut.  Also, the amazing thing about the XL is that the sleeve length still works.  

I wish you the best of luck with the coat if you get one.  I'm selling my large for sure if your'e interested.  You can just PM me.  Anyway, it's one of the best To Ki To's I own or have seen in terms of the look of the coat.  Just a shame that the fit is IMHO off.  It's funny too because sooo many people are all about the Sport jacket/Commander when AW12 To Ki To had so many great coats.  Don't get me wrong, I like the Bond jacket (though I think it's be just like the tweed Spey in terms of fitting it), but plenty of others there to choose from.  The sweater/sweater jackets were great as well.  The Hudson half zip.  I think you might find one of those here or there.  

worship.gif

also, youre referring to the scott jacket when you say bracken? i believe bracken is the color. scott is the model

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/barbour-x-tokihito-yoshida-scott-jacket.html
post #1767 of 2507
bracken color tokito jackets:

scott
shackelton
oates

olive spey fishing jacket
post #1768 of 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post
 

Barbour experts:

 

Is this Border, which I picked up at a thrift store for, um, $20, too long? I know it's a tad bit tight, but I'll work on that. It seemed worth it.

 

Only two royal warrants on the inner tag would make this in the 82-87 range, I think. 

 

 

 

 

Well, the wife thinks it's too long, so if any of you want to trade for a bedale in a similar size, I'm all ears.

post #1769 of 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

I made a photoshop of the color I was hoping the Argon would be. Original is on the left (it is closer to a dark grey than a navy) and the color I wanted is on the right (true navy): Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


facepalm.gif
post #1770 of 2507
I'm willing to be corrected but I think "Shackelton" is End's typo (versus Ernest Shackleton)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Offical Barbour Thread