or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Offical Barbour Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Offical Barbour Thread - Page 105

post #1561 of 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantimil View Post

I received my first waxed jacket today, Ashby in olive Sylkoil. I'd been completely ignoring casual outerwear for a while in my #menswear hubris, but I've come to my senses now. I can't take the dog out in the forest wearing a sleek mac without looking completely out of place.

Congratulations. Looks like a nice style. Wear it in good health.
post #1562 of 2465

I've been looking to buy a Barbour for three years. The Georgetown, DC store is only 2 miles from my house so I've been there countless times trying on everything they had in the store. I always wanted the class waxed jacket, bedale, beaufort, etc. but they are too baggy/boxy and when I size down the sleeves are too short. Today I stopped in again looking to see if they got anything new for the fall and I walked out with a Powell quilted jacket in black. I really like it. Very similar to the Chelsea but it has a fleece lining so it can be worn all fall and winter. I also found a new waxed jacket called the Argon which is much slimmer and has longer sleeves. It fit like a glove. However, I liked the Powell more so I bought that one.

 

Does anyone on here have a Powell or Chelsea jacket? How do you wear yours? Is it appropriate for smart casual settings in a dark color, like black? If you have any pictures wearing them, please post so I can get an idea!

post #1563 of 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

Hey gents. Can anyone chime in on the relation between Barbour's S/M/L/XL and their chest sizing /38/40/42. Specifically I'm looking at an International. One retailer has one sizing method and the other uses a different method.

In a nut shell, wuld the 40 jacket be the same as a M if they are both internationals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafG View Post

I think the M would be closest to a 40, although I'm not sure.

I own a Beaufort in 40, A7 in 38 and two other Barbours in M. 

Generally the ones I have in M are more similar to the 40. I went with the 38 on the A7 because I like the International to be quite slim fitting, and I'm usually a 42/43 in suits/SCs. 

Also, beware, I think the English made jackets are sized with chest size, and the ones that are not are sized with letters. 

I agree. It seems like generally Barbour equates M to a 40" chest, and L to a 42" (although their website says 42.5" in one place). By the way I just visited their website and it is not particularly fun to browse.
post #1564 of 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

Very similar to the Chelsea but it has a fleece lining so it can be worn all fall and winter. I also found a new waxed jacket called the Argon which is much slimmer and has longer sleeves. It fit like a glove. However, I liked the Powell more so I bought that one.

Does anyone on here have a Powell or Chelsea jacket? How do you wear yours? Is it appropriate for smart casual settings in a dark color, like black? If you have any pictures wearing them, please post so I can get an idea!

The Chelsea comes in three weights (Flyweight?, Sportsquilt, and Polarquilt).

I think I have a picture of me in my Chelsea somewhere earlier in this thread. I definitely think it works in smart casual settings. My Chelsea is Navy blue.
post #1565 of 2465

Terrible (really, really awful) shot, so my apologies in advanced, of my new Barbour Powell. Size small. For reference I am 6' tall with a 35.5 inch chest and a size 29 waist.

 

Can anyone comment on fit? The store doesnt have this in an XS however, they did have the Chelsea Sportsquilt in an XS and it fit a lot more snug. I opted for the Powell because I think I'll like/need more room in the winter to layer heavy sweaters or the occasional SC. What do you think?

post #1566 of 2465

Anyone?

post #1567 of 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE88 View Post

Sent my Beaufort to Barbour for a re-wax and to repair a few wear spots around the cuffs. I think they did a great job - reinforced the cuffs both around the hole & up the sleeve a bit. These photos make it more noticeable than in person. The sleeves were repaired identically, which really helps the repairs to blend.

Great fix! My bedale has been in the factory for repairs for two weeks now. How long was the turn around for yours?
post #1568 of 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

Anyone?

I wouldn't go any smaller as you can already see a little pulling in the chest and midsection. Sleeve length looks good despite your lengthy build.
post #1569 of 2465
Snagged my first non-vest Barbour. Gamefair obtained in a trade on here. It's got the stank but I couldn't be happier. Looking forward to trying my hand at rewaxing it and to winter weather setting in.

post #1570 of 2465

Want to trade me that sweater?

post #1571 of 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbone View Post

Great fix! My bedale has been in the factory for repairs for two weeks now. How long was the turn around for yours?
Hi Stewbone, sorry for the tardy response - I'm not exactly sure but it wasn't more than a month. I went through a local retailer who sent it to Barbour for me (at no additional cost).
post #1572 of 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post

Snagged my first non-vest Barbour. Gamefair obtained in a trade on here. It's got the stank but I couldn't be happier. Looking forward to trying my hand at rewaxing it and to winter weather setting in.

Nice coat!
Good luck with the re-wax. There are several videos on the web that illustrate the process. I might try it next time.
post #1573 of 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

Terrible (really, really awful) shot, so my apologies in advanced, of my new Barbour Powell. Size small. For reference I am 6' tall with a 35.5 inch chest and a size 29 waist.



Can anyone comment on fit? The store doesnt have this in an XS however, they did have the Chelsea Sportsquilt in an XS and it fit a lot more snug. I opted for the Powell because I think I'll like/need more room in the winter to layer heavy sweaters or the occasional SC. What do you think?
It looks good. I agree with the above comment - don't go smaller. What if any layers will you be wearing? If you plan on heavy sweaters, as you say, then it might be a bit snug.
post #1574 of 2465
Hello,

I am rather new to this forum in terms of posts, but have been a lurker for a while now. I live in Norway and I am looking for a nice waxed jacket or something close that is water resistant and looks great for the fall/early winter. Considering I am a student without the possibility of trying out a Barbour waxed jacket I'd really like it to fit when it arrives. I am a slim small or a regular XS, really depends on the brand (In PRL I am a Small in the Slim fit shirts, even though they tend to be a tad too long for casual wear). The Barbour site is not the easiest to navigate through at the moment.

What do you guys recommend for me as a first time wax jacket? The Corbridge? Looking for a slim, casual look. Will mostly wear a single shirt or with a sweater. I have the Barbour International Ariel Quilted in XS and it fits quite alright.

Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times before, but the search function didn't really give me anything and a 105 pages of read in this thread is a little bit of hassle.

Also other jacket recommendations than from Barbour are of course appreciated.
post #1575 of 2465

I'd go with the Bedale or Beaufort. Those are the classic Barbours.

 

As for sizing the general advice is to stick to your normal size if you're going to wear a heavy sweater or sport coat underneath, if not you can size down one size. I'd try either a 34" or a 36", but in any case you should measure your chest and arms to see which would fit you better. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Offical Barbour Thread