• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought my first pair of selvedge jeans

IBJanky

Reaction score
I'm usually hang out in the Men's Clothing section, but I needed a pair of dark jeans for more casual occasions. Now, I'm not the type of guy who has 100 pairs of jeans. I'm more of the type that only has 1 or 2 pairs.

So I said to myself, why not see what all the rage about selvedge denim is all about.

I rode my motorcycle to Los Angeles today to do my taxes. After a quick bite to eat, I headed out to the Self Edge store on La Brea/Beverly.

I was promptly greeted and helped out by Casey (sp?). Cool dude (he even paid for my street parking), very helpful, and very knowledgeable about the whole denim thing. He's called himself a "denim dork". I told him that I was new to the whole denim thing but I did tell him what I was looking for:

-dark indigo denim
-slim fitting, but NOT skinny jeans where they're fitted all the way to the ankles (slim through the thigh and slim/straight below the knee)
-size 32 (I wear a size 32 with my wool/suit trousers, chinos, etc.)

So he picked up several pairs of size 32 jeans from different makers. Some fit, some didn't. He told me that it wasn't uncommon that one may have to go up one size, depending on the maker.

I tried on Skull, Dry Bones, Iron Heart, and Flat Head jeans.

I really liked the Flat Head F310 denim that he had me try on. At first I tried on a size 33 and it pretty much fit the way I like, but he told me that this particular pair was "unsanforized" and therefore would shrink after the first wash/soak in water.

So he suggested that I size one up to a size 34 and after the first wash/soak it should fit like the size 33 that I liked.

I took his word for it, paid, and went on my merry way.

Here are some pics, but please forgive the quality. These were taken with flash in front of a mirror. I live alone and don't have anyone to take pics for me.

Front:
IMG_0207.jpg

Side:
IMG_0206.jpg

Rear:
IMG_0208.jpg

Casey also told me to soak it in warm/hot water for about 30-45 minutes, then hang dry. They should shrink a bit and should be ready to wear after then.

What do you guys think? Did I do good? What do y'all think about the fit?

My first time paying this much for a pair of jeans, but I figured if I'm going to have only 1 or 2 pairs, they might as well be quality. I'm a selvedge denim noob, but is Flat Head a good brand?

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

myke

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks good.

unsanforized will shrink like crazy. but if you can get into the crisp pair pretty easily, once they are soaked and dried, it should be fine for a slim fit.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
looks good.

unsanforized will shrink like crazy. but if you can get into the crisp pair pretty easily, once they are soaked and dried, it should be fine for a slim fit.

That's why Casey told me to size up to a 34. He said that if I had gone with the 33 and washed it, it would have been TOO tight.

I'm thinking of hot soaking this pair tonight.

myke

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like they'll shrink up pretty well from where they are right now. pretty much anything you pick up from self edge will get love on this side of the board, but Flat Heads are a good pick up.

Oh, and a warning too that you may be flamed for your individual thread despite your post-count.

syang451

Reaction score
ya flaming occurs quite often it seems on the SW&D section, however, ive seen noobs post in the menswear section and nobody ever flames them, merely guiding them to the right direction.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by syang451
ya flaming occurs quite often it seems on the SW&D section, however, ive seen noobs post in the menswear section and nobody ever flames them, merely guiding them to the right direction.
Difference in age and maturity.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's because almost all of the new threads started by new members are worthless. Mostly because they ask for objective truths (how do I look capital-G-Good) about a subject that, while it does have a few aesthetic criteria, it's mostly just shades of taste/opinion/preference, and if you don't have an "eye" for it, you won't get it (hence the exhortation "look at WAYWT"). The few subjects with objective "right" or "wrong" answers are taken care of in stickied threads.

Contrast to MC, where there's usually a "right" (i.e. appropriate) answer to a dilemma/question/scenario whathave you due to the more socially embedded nature of MC-wear.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice fit, flathead is awesome. most people go through millions of disasters before finding a pair they like and fit well, so props

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulda looked at RRL first...

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by syang451

:noob:

*#..

Reaction score
Nice jeans. After you soak them, they'll stretch out a bit to fit your waist once you start wearing them. I was in the same situation as yourself 4 years ago, selecting my first pair of jeans at self-edge SF. I ended up picking the new (at the time) dry bones red-d slim jeans, which fit me great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads