• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dfsuarez

Reaction score
Hellos Gents, this is my first post. I'm looking to buy either the AE Park Avenue Walnut Grain Calf or the Strand Walnut Calf. I'd like the shoe to pull double duty between work and and dress down (slacks or jeans).

I like the texture of the Park Avenue Grain Calf but I like the traditional look of the Strand. I'm leaning towards the Park Avenue as it seems a bit more versatile. I live in Miami and there is no store here. I'm going strictly by the pictures though my previous AE purchases have been true to its representation.

I might eventually get both, but I'm limited to one purchase for now.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

x26

Reaction score
Here for others comments...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a shoe for both "suit" and "dress down" duty, definitely the Strand. Its broguing makes it more casual than the very formal Park Avenue. In fact, I am inclined to think the PA in walnut is a bit of a sartorial anomaly, anyway.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
If you want a shoe for both "suit" and "dress down" duty, definitely the Strand. Its broguing makes it more casual than the very formal Park Avenue. In fact, I am inclined to think the PA in walnut is a bit of a sartorial anomaly, anyway.

Perfect.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

+1. I'd take a Strand over a PA any time.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own both of these and overall the Strand is a much better shoe, it has so much more character. The PA is fine, there's nothing wrong with it, but if you're only going to get one or ther other I would definitely recommend the Strand.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
I'm awaiting a pair of the strand......in the cordovan.
I'm excited about them-Lots of stuff going on on the shoe and it is not a wingtip.

The PA......seems far more for business to me.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Strand will function well as both business casual and upscale casual.

The PA in walnut or pebble grain is just weird, don't buy it unless your sure you want that exact shoe.

However, the PA is the quintessential business shoe. In black or burgundy, you can wear that shoe with most any suit and look good. Brown too, but its slightly less formal.

You can get the Malvern instead.

ELG

Reaction score
I think the Strand is a better looking shoe. However, I don't think either will double up well as a casual shoe. Go for some nice penny loafers. AE makes one, I believe, called the Melrose or Belmont, that looks nice.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
The Strand will function well as both business casual and upscale casual.

The PA in walnut or pebble grain is just weird, don't buy it unless your sure you want that exact shoe.

However, the PA is the quintessential business shoe. In black or burgundy, you can wear that shoe with most any suit and look good. Brown too, but its slightly less formal.

You can get the Malvern instead.

Strand is the way to go for your needs.

I have the PA in burgundy and love them! For work purposes of course.

If you could, I would get the strand and then get a nice suede shoe to wear with jeans/more casual suiting. Something like this.

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=34

vinasity

Reaction score
I vote for the strand also!
IMG_1331-1.jpg

5fbdac27.jpg

TedW

Reaction score
What about Fifth Avenue in brown or walnut...? Compromise between Strand and PA.

Brooks also has a nice medallion captoe in brown - C&J built, I think.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
My cordovan Strands just arrived and they are spectacular.
Will go nicely with a suit or with slacks,khakis, or jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads