• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

300 Trailer is up!

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I can't contain my excitement!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/trailer1/

Synopsis: Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling I should probably not watch this.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
A client of mine had significant involvement in this project, so please do go see it!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

BTW, everyone (that I've spoken to) who was involved in it seems genuinely high on it.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't deal too well with things based on historical events (Alexander anyone?)

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I just don't deal too well with things based on historical events (Alexander anyone?)
Tell me if I'm being overly nosy, but I'm just curious whether that's due to a general impatience with inaccurate portrayals of historical events or whether it's because your ancestry gives you a knowledge/perspective on historical events in that part of the world that the filmmakers might not share.
And I amend my earlier remark. Everyone except skalogre should see this movie, and some of you should see it twice to make up for his absence.
tounge.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Tell me if I'm being overly nosy, but I'm just curious whether that's due to a general impatience with inaccurate portrayals of historical events or whether it's because your ancestry gives you a knowledge/perspective on historical events in that part of the world that the filmmakers might not share. And I amend my earlier remark. Everyone except skalogre should see this movie, and some of you should see it twice to make up for his absence.
tounge.gif

I think it is both - yes I am a grumpy git
smile.gif
For example, I hated Last Samurai partially because I had done some research on Takamori Saigo, the inspiration behind Katsumoto. I was also struck by how jingoistically nice they placed Tom Cruise there to teach the dumb Japanese what their traditions meant to them. Especially considering that the Emperor was on the side of the common people by abolishing the ruling samurai class. Plus Saigo had changed sides more than once. There is also the problem, of historical revisionism. Big film studios can in essence change the past in to their versions. Sort of like Disney changing the morals and meaning behind,m say, The Little Mermaid. The Andersen original was a lot darker and placed the mermaid's demise squarely on her head, not on the "evil witch". How many people, especially children, will know anything abiout the original other than what Disney prescribes? Ok, now I am rambling. P.s. a while back did look at a few pages of the original comic on the Spartans/Plateans at Thermopyles, looked interesting. P.s. 2 Nowadays, I just hope that filmmakers stay away from my area of the world for inspiration in general
biggrin.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
A client of mine had significant involvement in this project, so please do go see it!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
BTW, everyone (that I've spoken to) who was involved in it seems genuinely high on it.

My old college roommate worked on this, and also seems really excited about it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the trailer looks SICK as hell. Cant wait to see this. Dig the monochromatic colors in the camera work.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Last Samurai, despite being rather familiar with the Bakufu and Meiji Restoration periods (and would disagree about Algren being portrayed as paternalistic). But I think I am going to hate this. Historical fictionalization can work (director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven, for example), but this is just utterly ******* insane. There's no history here. This is a goddamn Michael Bay movie.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
There's no history here. This is a goddamn Michael Bay movie.

it *is* based on a comic book reinterpretation so "historically accurate" is going to take a back seat to over the top violence that is shot really f'ing badass. I dont think Bay has ever made a movie that LOOKED as cool as this one. It reminds me of a Frazetta painting come to life.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
The difference, I feel is that a Michael Bay movie is trying not to look cartoonish, this (I'm assuming from the trailer) is embracing the cartoonish exaggerations and is playing that up.

That was one of the problems with the new set of Star Wars, they tried to hard to look real, when it's a (sci-fi) movie and should be an escape from realism.

I feel like I'm biased though, I've been a Frank Miller fan since I was young, so I guess he can do no wrong. Doesn't matter though, I can't wait to turn my brain off and grin through this whole thing.

Gericaux

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
it *is* based on a comic book reinterpretation so "historically accurate" is going to take a back seat to over the top violence that is shot really f'ing badass. I dont think Bay has ever made a movie that LOOKED as cool as this one. It reminds me of a Frazetta painting come to life.
The comic book is pretty damn awesome to look at. Trailer looks tight, looks like it retains the look of the graphic novel (minus the genetalia). I'll watch it.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty fuckin' sick. Had the Spartans electric guitars, they probably would have made the heaviest music conceivable.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Pretty fuckin' sick. Had the Spartans electric guitars, they probably would have made the heaviest music conceivable.

HA... my thoughts exactly...

You guys are a little late though, I posted this trailer in the 'movies i can't wait to see' thread YESTERDAY! Muhahahaha.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, just got to see the trailer. I have to admit that if I were not as familiar with the event as I am, it certainly would have looked interesting. At least has some style to it. I am not much for action films (for lack of better word) however. Wait. Was that a war rhinoceros the Medeans were using? Does the comic book include the Troy-like flying attacks the trailer shows? I had looked in to getting the comic book in the past but never got around to it. P.s. Arethusa, the book on Saigo Takamori by Mark Ravina is interesting. Edi: Holy crap. Did not know Michael Bay directed Pearl Harbour and the turd to end all turds, Armageddon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads