or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Des Merrion status or whereabouts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Des Merrion status or whereabouts? - Page 11

post #151 of 190
I've tried my best...really. But I must voice the opinion that what I find rather limp-wristed in anyone is a fear of inanimate objects and tools.

Do we fear shovels because some lunatic might lose his mind and dig up our roses? Not so much.

Do we fear that our steak knives may up and decapitate us in a fit of cutlery rage? I think not.

Firearms are the same. They are simple tools that hold us no ill will of their own.

Of person who truly commits murder? I fear his mind and his hands, not the tools he chooses.
post #152 of 190
^By that logic, nuclear weapons should be available to all. You're right that these things are all tools, and that what makes them do bad things is a person's bad choice. But do we want to make tools of all capabilities readily available? Imho, you're right to fear the person more than the tool, but all other things being equal, you'd also be right to fear a man with a gun more than a man with a knife.
post #153 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnShaft View Post
I've tried my best...really. But I must voice the opinion that what I find rather limp-wristed in anyone is a fear of inanimate objects and tools.

Do we fear shovels because some lunatic might lose his mind and dig up our roses? Not so much.

Do we fear that our steak knives may up and decapitate us in a fit of cutlery rage? I think not.

Firearms are the same. They are simple tools that hold us no ill will of their own.

Of person who truly commits murder? I fear his mind and his hands, not the tools he chooses.

The same tired argument..

Firearms don't kill humans do...

The problem is the following: It is a lot easier to murder people with firearms than with shovels...

For heaven's sake , it only take a few minutes for any crazed teenagers or adults to slaughter dozens of people like Columbine or Virginia Tec...

It is too easy to get firearms in the States and that's the reason why you don't have a day or week without a spree killing or some kind of massacre...

Do you feel safer with a gun?

If anyone feel safer on average in the States than in Europe ?
post #154 of 190
+1 lasbar.
post #155 of 190
'Leave it Lasbar, they ain't worf it.'
Do the NRA brigade feel like extending their argument to Iran's nuclear programme? Surely we'll all be safer?
post #156 of 190
Not to cause to much excitement, But Mexico, has a higher degree of firearms related homicides than does the U.S. Measured per 100,000 of population. Mexico has very stringent gun laws, similar to the UK, in fact they are more severe. Longer prison sentences and the like. All this aside, thank fuck you don't live in Colombia which has the worst in the world, apparently. Sorry, in advance to any Colombians who may be in inadvertently reading this post. I love Shakira.!!!!
post #157 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Not to cause to much excitement,

But Mexico, has a higher degree of firearms related homicides than does the U.S.

Measured per 100,000 of population.

Mexico has very stringent gun laws, similar to the UK, in fact they are more severe. Longer prison sentences and the like.

All this aside, thank fuck you don't live in Colombia which has the worst in the world, apparently.

Sorry, in advance to any Colombians who may be in inadvertently reading this post.

I love Shakira.!!!!


Come on George...

Taking as benchmark Colombia and Mexico to compare homicide rates by firearms..

Oleg , you're right.
post #158 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post
Come on George... Taking as benchmark Colombia and Mexico to compare homicide rates by firearms.. Oleg , you're right.
I'm just quoting a fact. You have also failed to grasp that Firearms are banned in Mexico but not in the U.S. You are aware that firearm related homicides in the U.S run at about 3 per 100,000 population? That's hardly a massacre a week. If you can't handle facts, don't get into arguments.
post #159 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I'm just quoting a fact.

You are aware that firearm related homicides in the U.S run at about 3 per 100,000 population?

That's hardly a massacre a week.

If you can't handle facts, don't get into arguments.

And the same rate is 0.12% in England &Wales...

0.25% in Spain...0.31% in Australia and 0.47% in Germany..

What is your point George?
post #160 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post
And the same rate is 0.12% in England &Wales... 0.25% in Spain...0.31% in Australia and 0.47% in Germany.. What is your point George?
If I have to explain it to you, it pointless.
post #161 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
If I have to explain it to you, it pointless.

And who is bringing the firearms into Mexico?

The US based gangs maybe?

Arms are flowing over the border as quickly as illegal immigrants from the other side..

The list of western countries I have given you is a good data base to compare facts.

From 0.12% in England to 2.97% is a massive difference..

Do you really want the UK to have the same gun laws than the States?
post #162 of 190
There's a friggin civil war going on in Mexico right now, between the government and the drug cartels. So yes, gun crime down there is astronomical. You can't really compare any country to Mexico, though, and anyone who does really is fooling themselves more than anything else.
post #163 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post
There's a friggin civil war going on in Mexico right now, between the government and the drug cartels. So yes, gun crime down there is astronomical. You can't really compare any country to Mexico, though, and anyone who does really is fooling themselves more than anything else.

Oh by the way ,Zimbabwe is 4.75%..
post #164 of 190
I am waiting with bated breath. I'm almost for sure that people are going to change their minds about guns just any second now!
post #165 of 190
Of course it won't. You can't legislate for stupidity.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Des Merrion status or whereabouts?